• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Oct 17, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #7,156 of 7,693
BTW: If anyone is using these on high-end hardware successfully, I would like to know. My PC is running an Asus Rampage VI Apex board, 7900X CPU, G-Skill TridentZ 3200 Ram, Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000 watt PSU, Multiple Samsung NVME 1TB SSD drives, and an EVGA GTX 1080ti GPU. All with the latest stable Drivers, BIOS, and Firmware.

I have same setup. Only difference is running ASUS Maximus X Formula with Intel i7-7700k.

Oct 17, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #7,157 of 7,693
Could you confirm what game you were playing and the sound settings for the game, windows, and the Mobius, it sounds like you were running a games headphone surround and the mobius' surround at the same time.

Squad, MilSim. No Audio mode option available in-game. Game sounds Glorious, but gives me very little localization. Enemy sounds are obvious, but usually centered in your head.

COD MW2. Used: stereo, 5.1 Speaker, and System default. Game sounds very good, but the enemy sounds, while usually distinct, are frequently very wrong, as mentioned. Default and stereo are more accurate than 5.1 speaker, but also have very little localization.

Black Ops4. No Audio mode option in-game. Game sounds great, but it is very difficult to pick up localization. The only thing that helps is to play with sound levels... Turn off music, (I turn off music on every game. I must be a grinch) turn down sound SFX, turn down voice volume. This helps a LITTLE, but also impacts the overall experience, as well as making it difficult to hear teammates.

In all cases I tried 2-channel, High-res, and 7.1, as well as 3D audio in manual or off.

Weve been using stereo headphones with virtual surround programs and high quality mics for 20 years, maybe you should be looking into that option instead of waiting xD

In the past 20 years I have used 3 or 4 different Plantronics, 2 Creative Soundblasters, 5 or 6 Logitechs, most recently the G930 and G933, Arctic Cooling (with real surround, multiple drivers per ear), Razer Man O War, Razer Kraken, several Turtle Beach headsets, a couple of HyperX headsets, a couple from Steelseries, and a handful of others I can not recall. I have also tried stereo headphones with 3rd-party software and discrete amp solutions. This is beginning to look like the way to go, and also the solution I did not want to use, as it greatly complicates wire routing and workspace organization, not to mention troubleshooting when something seems off. Ironically, or perhaps predictably, the cans that stand out to me from that list are the least expensive, and probably least well-known, Plantronics and Arctic cooling. Arctic made a set of multiple-driver cans with thunderous base, Very good localization, and average sound quality. They were delicate and I went through 3 of them before they were discontinued. But for $50, they were something of a good value. Plantronics are also somewhat unremarkable, but acceptable sound, acceptable localization, and acceptable build quality. Of all these I would classify none of the mics as high quality, nor would I call their sound quality anything other than average, at best. I think that while I have been waiting for high-end gaming headsets to be a thing, I have also looked into the other option you suggest. xD

Audeze definately added something special with the Mobius being able to send headtracking information back to the games, its up to content creators to use that technology though. Like with Steams new audio engine, Blizzard using atmos in Overwatch etc.

Agree, but i am somewhat skeptical of its practical functionality. It's certainly novel, but outside of VR (again, color me a skeptic) I do not see the practical use. In a FPS, I do not turn my head very much. I would love the minute-angle head turning I do in-game to have the affect of adding precision to the localization cues I am hearing, like they do IRL, but the Mobius does not do this with precision, and it also feels lagged, which ends up negatively coloring the effect, in my experience.

I've had no problems on my machine, its gettin older though, i7 4770k, gtx780sli. Little jealous of that 7900x, you doing alot of encoding or something?

I used to be a competitive FPS gamer, and as such, was constantly upgrading and tweaking hardware. it was a large part of the experience, and within reason, I enjoyed it almost as much as the actual gaming. I am no longer competing, but am still probably somewhat above average in any game to which I dedicate the necessary amount of time. I pretty much stopped with the upgrading, because it's nowhere near as impactful as it used to be. The 7900X is an upgrade from a first-gen i5 running at 2.8MHZ, no SMT. (hyperthreading) I over-build, and anticipate it lasting me a long while. It was also my first watercooling build, and I went for silence and redundancy, so dual 560mm radiators and a dual pump-top with D5 pumps. This allows 140mm fans to run at 400rpm, and slope to about 1000rpm under load. It also keeps right on trucking if a pump were to fail. So, while I have not had a heavy workload in encoding or media production, that will probably increase somewhat, as will my multitasking demands. A short game-play video that would have taken 1/2 hour to render single-threaded in windows, or approximately 8 minutes in linux, takes 3 or 4 minutes on this machine, in windows, while also continuing to play a game. This not necessary, but convenient when someone is constantly railing about you in-game for cheating, and you are able to share a link with them, or anyone, showing what you did 3 or 4 games ago. It doesn't actually prove anything, but many who enjoy making accusations seem to find it somewhat deflating.

I see 10 USB ports on the "Asus Rampage VI Apex board", doesn't Mobius work on these?
If the left channel is broken, I guess AUDEZE will happily replace your unit.

According to the 3D localization:
This is a very personal thing and does not work the same for everybody.
I personally never had an "in front of me" localization with any 3D headphones system or dummy head recording I tried - except for Mobius.
With Mobius I have found that it's even possible to improve that by training your hearing system, looking videos and actively imagine the sound coming from the front.

Of the 10 USB ports on the Apex Rear I/O, the Mobius will only get detected on the USB 3.1 ports. It is not detected through USB 2.0, nor is it detected through a 3.1 Hub, connected t via a 3.1 rated cable, connected to a 3.1 port. i had to buy a USB extension cable to be able to move around my workstation.
As for "Localization", this might not be the correct technical term, but it most accurately expresses the conditions I am trying to convey. I think localization refers to your virtual head position in the sound field, and I am abusing it to refer to the virtual representation of sounds originating from enemies around you. As I have had many headphones that emulate surround sound, I am familiar with the effort required to acclimate to a new product's rendition of 3D sound.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #7,158 of 7,693
@tannji "In all cases I tried 2-channel, High-res, and 7.1, as well as 3D audio in manual or off."
Just in case you weren't aware, the Mobius needs to be set to the desired mode before launching a game. I.e. set the mobius to 7.1, launch game. You can toggle 3d freely though.

Sorry if you mentioned, but have you run the app and input your head measurements and maybe reduced the room ambiance setting?

"Arctic Cooling (with real surround, multiple drivers per ear)"
Heh, those multi driver solutions didn't sound anywhere near as accurate for me compared to binaural renderers.

"It was also my first watercooling build, and I went for silence and redundancy, so dual 560mm radiators and a dual pump-top with D5 pumps."
Show me yours and I'll show you mine :O but seriously pm me a pic i love overbuilt towers.

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #7,159 of 7,693
As for "Localization", this might not be the correct technical term, but it most accurately expresses the conditions I am trying to convey. I think localization refers to your virtual head position in the sound field, and I am abusing it to refer to the virtual representation of sounds originating from enemies around you. As I have had many headphones that emulate surround sound, I am familiar with the effort required to acclimate to a new product's rendition of 3D sound.

Yes its the correct turn. What he's refering to is that these surround solutionsare typicslly based off measurements taken with binaural microphones and then an algorithm is derived from those measurements. Since everyones head is different this can make the emulation sound drastically different from person to person, in terms of localization and frequency response. Waves NX(whats used in the mobius) and some other options like toneboosters isone, take extra steps to alleviate tose differences but adding values to adjust for head size, the Smyth Realiser lets you take your own measurements, a new solution from creative ill have you take a picture of your ear to be analyzed. Also processing power of the renderers is a big factor, Razer Surround works pretty decently for me but sounds awful due to processing restrictions.

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #7,160 of 7,693
@tannji "In all cases I tried 2-channel, High-res, and 7.1, as well as 3D audio in manual or off."
Just in case you weren't aware, the Mobius needs to be set to the desired mode before launching a game. I.e. set the mobius to 7.1, launch game. You can toggle 3d freely though.

Ya, quickly figured that out.

Sorry if you mentioned, but have you run the app and input your head measurements and maybe reduced the room ambiance setting?

I ran the Mobius app before I did anything else. Ambience set at 35.

"Arctic Cooling (with real surround, multiple drivers per ear)"
Heh, those multi driver solutions didn't sound anywhere near as accurate for me compared to binaural renderers.

accurate, perhaps not, but strong enough to tell me an enemy is to the right of a doorway, not just near me? Ya, lots of dead enemies, yelling "But i had ninja, hack!"

"It was also my first watercooling build, and I went for silence and redundancy, so dual 560mm radiators and a dual pump-top with D5 pumps."
Show me yours and I'll show you mine :O but seriously pm me a pic i love overbuilt towers.

TT Tower 900. hate it, but it contains 2 560mm rads, which almost no case does, especially now that Caselabs is no more. When I get a chance to build a custom desk and cabinet, this case goes away. You can see the Mobius mic as the headset is hanging on the side of the display. Comparing some mice here, they are not connected, lol

view
TT900.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #7,161 of 7,693
Oct 17, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #7,162 of 7,693
ThermalTake Tower 900. Totally impractical, and ugly as hell with soft tubing. I have to blame Audeze for the tubing, as i was doing the hard tube bending when the Mobius arrived. 15 minutes of soft tubing install, or several hours of hard tube bending, and more to make certain there are no leaks. Damn you Audeze! When it gets a custom cabinet, it will get a hybrid mix of hard tube and soft to allow for ease of access and even quick removal of components, thanks to quick disconnect adapters. Oh, I hate RGB, so it's either not an option on my components, or turned off in firmware.

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #7,163 of 7,693
ThermalTake Tower 900. Totally impractical, and ugly as hell with soft tubing. I have to blame Audeze for the tubing, as i was doing the hard tube bending when the Mobius arrived. 15 minutes of soft tubing install, or several hours of hard tube bending, and more to make certain there are no leaks. Damn you Audeze! When it gets a custom cabinet, it will get a hybrid mix of hard tube and soft to allow for ease of access and even quick removal of components, thanks to quick disconnect adapters. Oh, I hate RGB, so it's either not an option on my components, or turned off in firmware.

Hmm I really like the display case trend we're in. I've been building pcs since 1993 so it's really cool to have seen everything evolve. I've always wanted a custom water build but again.. lazy... the most i wanna do is vacuum out the dust filters every few months. With the current setup my load temps are like 45C so really the only benefit would be noise, but the gf and i like white noise so its not bothersome. And ya im not big on the rbg either, the enthoo primo has smoked glass so its super monolithic. Nice choice on the 900 though i like it boxy hulking and revealing ;]

Oct 17, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #7,164 of 7,693
Ya, I predate you a little bit.... built my first PC as a kit from Heathkit back in the late 70's, I think. Once I get to building a cabinet, all this will disappear. PC will be build into a cabinet, inverted, so any leaks will leak down, away from components. Will slide out on a rotating chassis, so it can be worked on in a normal vertical presentation, or even be removed as a unit by disconnecting several cables and tubing quick disconnects. Right now this idles at about 30 degrees, and I have seen it hit 40 degrees briefly under load.

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #7,165 of 7,693
Ya, I predate you a little bit.... built my first PC as a kit from Heathkit back in the late 70's, I think. Once I get to building a cabinet, all this will disappear. PC will be build into a cabinet, inverted, so any leaks will leak down, away from components. Will slide out on a rotating chassis, so it can be worked on in a normal vertical presentation, or even be removed as a unit by disconnecting several cables and tubing quick disconnects. Right now this idles at about 30 degrees, and I have seen it hit 40 degrees briefly under load.

Very cool xD the oldest I go is an 8088 so not by much ;]

Oct 17, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #7,166 of 7,693
I will receive the Mobius on Friday, or with a bit of luck tomorrow evening.. I am rather hyped to try all the features and foremost hope that they’ll become my main headphone to listen music to. I am just a bit worried that they wont have enough Bass, or fatiguing Highs, but judging from the impressions so far that might not be the case. :) I will have the whole weekend to play around with them and I will definitely share some first impressions as soon as possible.

Does anyone own a Honor or Huawai USB C phone and was successful in pairing them? :) via cable of course, not Bluetooth haha.

Oct 17, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #7,167 of 7,693
I am just a bit worried that they wont have enough Bass, or fatiguing Highs, but judging from the impressions so far that might not be the case.

Between the built in eq presets and/or using your own eq they can be bass light and bright, or boomy and dark, it's your call.

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #7,168 of 7,693
I will receive the Mobius on Friday, or with a bit of luck tomorrow evening.. I am rather hyped to try all the features and foremost hope that they’ll become my main headphone to listen music to. I am just a bit worried that they wont have enough Bass, or fatiguing Highs, but judging from the impressions so far that might not be the case. :) I will have the whole weekend to play around with them and I will definitely share some first impressions as soon as possible.

Does anyone own a Honor or Huawai USB C phone and was successful in pairing them? :) via cable of course, not Bluetooth haha.

LG V30 - just plugged in the cable and it worked without any configuration necessary! Good luck and enjoy :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back