Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jul 30, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #3,347 of 7,693
@taronlissimore posted another update at headphone.com

https://forum.headphone.com/t/audez...reless-gaming-headphone-official-thread/24/39

Here is the part where he talked about the hissing:

“I did read of some sibilance and some hissing. I can say that I haven’t experienced any sibilance with the Mobius. The hissing I have only heard when I had the 3.5mm plugged into the headphone jack while having the USB C plugged in as well to charge. As soon as the USB C was unplugged from the Switch, there was no more background noise. I haven’t not experienced any hissing or background noise while listening wirelessly or plugged into PC / Macbook.”

I wonder if the hissing is being caused by the battery charging and when it’s fully charged it goes away?

@AlwaysForward did you have it plugged in charging when you were trying out all the modes?

Jul 30, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #3,348 of 7,693
I wonder if the hissing is being caused by the battery charging and when it’s fully charged it goes away?

That would make some sense at least.. I don't really believe that many that have received them so far left them alone to charge for 2-3 hours before using them:L3000:

Jul 30, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #3,349 of 7,693
LOL I'm bummed about these reports of white noise/hissing. My last setup that had a background noise was portable cmoy 15 years ago. Every setup I have had since then which includes PPAv2, O2, Fiio9 E17+E09K, cheapo Monoprice desktop headphone DAC+AMP were all hiss free. They were all dead silent when not playing any music. It is disappointing that we have a product with audible noise floor in 2018.

Jul 30, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #3,350 of 7,693
@taronlissimore posted another update at headphone.com

https://forum.headphone.com/t/audez...reless-gaming-headphone-official-thread/24/39

Here is the part where he talked about the hissing:

“I did read of some sibilance and some hissing. I can say that I haven’t experienced any sibilance with the Mobius. The hissing I have only heard when I had the 3.5mm plugged into the headphone jack while having the USB C plugged in as well to charge. As soon as the USB C was unplugged from the Switch, there was no more background noise. I haven’t not experienced any hissing or background noise while listening wirelessly or plugged into PC / Macbook.”

@AlwaysForward did you have it plugged in charging when you were trying out all the modes?

Trust. I have tried all possible connection options. The hiss is consistent on mine.

Jul 30, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #3,351 of 7,693
Yea these are incredible. As someone who's been chasing "speakers in a can" for years these are the best, hands down. I've used nearly every virtual surround software, HeaDSPeaker with STAX, an hd800 with a phonitor amp. Nothing has come close to this. I havent grooved this much since my Magnepan Mini Maggies + sub setup(which I unfortunately had to get rid of). The ability to put on some 2 channel music and spin around in my chair, tracking the virtual speakers perfectly around my head is amazing. I've been testing gaming with Witcher 3 and Borderlands 2, both sound good but the reverb is a bit high for my taste for games, great for music though.

Comfort isn't up to HD800 or Nighthawk standards(but what is). Still quite comfy if a bit warm. Mic sounds good so far.
HAHA... it sounds like you and I have been on a similar journey. I have ended my surround sound "speaker-like" headphone search with the Creative X7 paired with several different headphones - from my Monoprice Retros to my LCD-3. Your post excites me to think that possibly very soon I may finally have the headphone I have been chasing for almost a decade now. :) I have also been waiting for the Smyth Realizer to be produced. If only the Mobius existed back then, I would possibly be thousands of dollars richer right now. :darthsmile: Can't wait for mine to arrive. (Critical Hit!)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #3,352 of 7,693
Trust. I have tried all possible connection options. The hiss is consistent on mine.

I think your unit is most likely defective. I cannot see Audeze putting planar magnetic drivers with basically zero distortion into a product then finding the introduction of a noise floor from an active design acceptable.

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #3,353 of 7,693
They plan to put it out later today.

I really hope these get the hiss issue ironed out. I'm only in the ride the waves tier and I really need new gear since most of my DacAmps and all my high end headphones literally went up in flames and the insurance stuff is quite the ordeal tbh.
I put more hopes into these than I probably should have if I was reasonable since I know they will be my only daily driver for quite some time.

Ride the Waves here too. I really hope the hiss can be fixed in a firmware update, and/or that it's not there in most of the units produced this far. A little surprised that would get passed QC.

Oh right. That was you with the fire that started in your neighbors apartment. I was sorry to hear about that! Water damage.... Ouch!

I've wanted "speakers in a can" too. I hope these deliver a convincing approximate to my tastes.

Yay three of us in the "Ride the Waves" tier! My order number is in the 2400 range so I'm probably expecting mine to show up say...I dunno...September? Just in time for Spider-Man on the PS4.

An open question for you guys: Would you prefer to have the headphones launched now and fixed later with firmware, or would you people be willing to wait longer for them to launch it all 100% perfecto?

I also saw some people mentioning "speakers in headphones". I know the NAD Viso HP50 and the M4U series from PSB were supposed to achieve that. I loved my Viso HP50 for a few good years but I always heard them as headphones no matter what. It also would help if they would fix the shoddy wiring inside that busted twice on me.

And thanks @AlwaysForward and @Kazekeil for the impressions! Even with the hissing I'm still looking forward to hearing them for myself...I've only bought ONE pair of headphones outside of the Mobius this year so far and that itch just needs to be scratched.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #3,354 of 7,693

I can confirm a slight hiss when they are powered on. I confess to not hearing it when listening to music. I just unboxed mine and only tried listening to my iPhone through Bluetooth so far.

To be honest I wouldn’t have expected a completely black background with active headphones. That’s just me I guess.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #3,355 of 7,693

Well that sucks, I was hoping that with the delays and some parts being upgraded that we would avoid a situation like this, but considering that all of the few people that have gotten production units so far (that are posting about them) have this problem, it is concerning. The review/prototype units that were sent around were handpicked by Audeze, so they wouldn’t have sent them around if they had a problem such as this. We will just have to wait until more people have them and see if this keeps coming up.

With music playback it probably wouldn’t be much of an issue but for gaming or movies, if it was quiet in the game/movie and you could hear it, I could see that being very annoying and unacceptable. Really hope this is just a limited amount that are defective and not a widespread issue.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #3,356 of 7,693
I can confirm a slight hiss when they are powered on. I confess to not hearing it when listening to music. I just unboxed mine and only tried listening to my iPhone through Bluetooth so far.

To be honest I wouldn’t have expected a completely black background with active headphones. That’s just me I guess.
Eh, what is active headphone? Most audiophiles here use some sort of DAC (dedicated USB or a soundcard like Asus Xonar), dedicated amplifier, and then headphones. The only difference here is that Mobius managed to integrate all of these components (DAC, AMP, Headphones) into a single package. I don't think hissing should be acceptable from an audiophile headphone in 2018.

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #3,357 of 7,693
It would be disappointing if we had to ship back the initial few units due to the hiss issue if it can’t be fixed via firmware, but that’s the name of the game when it comes to being the first to receive a new product.

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #3,358 of 7,693
Eh, what is active headphone? Most audiophiles here use some sort of DAC (dedicated USB or a soundcard like Asus Xonar), dedicated amplifier, and then headphones. The only difference here is that Mobius managed to integrate all of these components (DAC, AMP, Headphones) into a single package. I don't think hissing should be acceptable from an audiophile headphone in 2018.

So what you're saying is that you expect to put the headphones on your head, turn them on, and not be able to tell that you've turned them on by listening to the background? It is a very slight background hiss to my ears, so it's definitely not a completely black background. That said, I can say it doesn't bother me.

And thanks for the explanation of what audiophiles here listen to and what "active" headphones are. Perhaps I should change my signature :wink:

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #3,359 of 7,693
So what you're saying is that you expect to put the headphones on your head, turn them on, and not be able to tell that you've turned them on by listening to the background?
Yes, I do. When I turn on my O2 I hear nothing from my HD650. They are completely black. And every single setup I have had in the past 15 years have been like that. I expect the same from any headphone in 2018.

Jul 30, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #3,360 of 7,693
After some testing I will have to restate what someone has said a bit above me.

These "cinematic" headphones, made for gaming, music, etc, are unusable for games and movies. The hiss is far too present to play any game or movie with even room noise/casual conversation/etc. And completely forget any horror or thrillers. I have less of an issue with music, but the hiss does intrude on classical pieces or quieter acoustic pieces.

Stuff like borderlands, or other action heavy games may be fine but slinking off into a quiet forest in an rpg will leave you focused on the hiss. Ditto a tense horror game, dramatic story game, etc.

This is still so upsetting because they sound fantastic and the virtual surround is nearly perfect and this one issue is going to completely ruin these for me, it is exceedingly frustrating and I hope Audeze adds a warning to future purchases. I was burnt with the N90Q, this burns even more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back