• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jul 23, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #2,852 of 7,693
About hearing movies in 5.1/7.1 on mobius while watching on your big screen TV, I do not know how this would work in practice, but let me put it out there and see what forum members think. I am thinking that, when streaming a movie on say Netflix, or Amazon, or Hulu on your nvidia shield or regular streamer on your tv, and want to hear the 5.1 or 7.1 soundtrack, you could also have the same movie streaming to you laptop, and have your mobius attached to the laptop via USB, while you're watching the movie on the screen... How would that work?

I wonder whether one can do the something similar through regular screen mirroring via Airplay for example, and maybe chromecast? I am thinking of a scenario that would permit watching a movie on your regular big screen while listening to the movie's audio track on a laptop with mobius for the 5.1 immersive sound.

Will any of these scenarios work (Airplay, chromecast, simultaneous streaming to Nvidia shield, or, or amazon fire tv, or apple tv, etc. etc. *And* your mobius connected laptop) or am I just dreaming or deceiving myself?

Of course, it is not the most elegant solution in the world, but if it would permit me to watch the occasional movie on the screen in 5.1/7.1 sound, then I wouldn't mind trying it.

Otherwise, I think it can most likely be connected to a streamer (nvidia shield) or console (PS4 and XBOX X) via USB, but in that mode, it might only be cable of regular 2 channel or stereo performance, and no surround.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #2,853 of 7,693
About hearing movies in 5.1/7.1 on mobius while watching on your big screen TV, I do not know how this would work in practice, but let me put it out there and see what forum members think. I am thinking that, when streaming a movie on say Netflix, or Amazon, or Hulu on your nvidia shield or regular streamer on your tv, and want to hear the 5.1 or 7.1 soundtrack, you could also have the same movie streaming to you laptop, and have your mobius attached to the laptop via USB, while you're watching the movie on the screen... How would that work?

I wonder whether one can do the something similar through regular screen mirroring via Airplay for example, and maybe chromecast? I am thinking of a scenario that would permit watching a movie on your regular big screen while listening to the movie's audio track on a laptop with mobius for the 5.1 immersive sound.

Will any of these scenarios work (Airplay, chromecast, simultaneous streaming to Nvidia shield, or, or amazon fire tv, or apple tv, etc. etc. *And* your mobius connected laptop) or am I just dreaming or deceiving myself?

Of course, it is not the most elegant solution in the world, but if it would permit me to watch the occasional movie on the screen in 5.1/7.1 sound, then I wouldn't mind trying it.

Actually my idea is connecting the laptop via HDMI to my projector and listen the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 Atmos soundtrack of the Roger Waters BluRay throught the USB using the Mobius.

I'll keep my best beer for that moment.

Jul 23, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #2,854 of 7,693
My big problem about USB mode for movie watching is the USB cord, for movie use I don't mind that little sound quality drop for HUGE conveniency boost for wireless operation. Since I discovered how convenient it was to go wireless, it's hard to go back for that specific use. So awesome to move freely in the sofa in your favorite lying position or grab a snack without having to take off your phones with the freedom of cord being absent. :p

PC use is a different matter as you are more stationary and there I'd much rather take every little sound quality gain I can get.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #2,855 of 7,693
My big problem about USB mode for movie watching is the USB cord, for movie use I don't mind that little sound quality drop for HUGE conveniency boost for wireless operation. Since I discovered how convenient it was to go wireless, it's hard to go back for that specific use. So awesome to move freely in the sofa in your favorite lying position or grab a snack without having to take off your phones with the freedom of cord being absent. :p

Nvidia Shield recently got the Oreo update, so it should have LDAC support. So with the right equipment there is the possibility to use your Mobius to watch a movie in the sofa totally wireless.

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #2,856 of 7,693
Nvidia Shield recently got the Oreo update, so it should have LDAC support. So with the right equipment there is the possibility to use your Mobius to watch a movie in the sofa totally wireless.

Must have missed it, I considered Nvidia Shield at one point but now there's even bigger reason to consider one. Thanks :D

Jul 23, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #2,858 of 7,693
My big problem about USB mode for movie watching is the USB cord, for movie use I don't mind that little sound quality drop for HUGE conveniency boost for wireless operation. Since I discovered how convenient it was to go wireless, it's hard to go back for that specific use. So awesome to move freely in the sofa in your favorite lying position or grab a snack without having to take off your phones with the freedom of cord being absent.

Even Oppo players restrict multichannel to HDMI (or analog) output only, and their manuals explicitly state that SP/DIF and Coax digital connections simply don't supply the bandwidth required to output 5.1/7.1 multichannel audio. So you can forget about getting 5.1 or 7.1 multichannel audio via wireless anytime soon. Which is why you can only get it via USB with the Mobius.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #2,859 of 7,693
Haha- lucky for me I just acquired at huge beautiful 34 inch monitor so I'll be watching movies on this thing with my mobius! :-D

I have a bootcamped Mac Mini that runs Kodi as my HTPC. I'll be using HDMI to send the video to my receiver, and hooking up a 15' USB cable to my Mobius-adorned sitting position 12 feet away. Can hardly wait to hear how that sounds with the hundreds of 5.1/7/1 movies I've got on my NAS. :dt880smile:

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #2,863 of 7,693
I'll be surprised if even 250 people get their tracking numbers by Friday.

It's going to be a very long 3 weeks before many get their tracking numbers.

It is going to be a long wait until we get our Mobius.

Audeze could be better with their communication. Like how many units are you going out in the first wave and when would the subsequent waves ship out.

But it is what it is. Crying ourselves hoarse is not going to change anything.

Jul 23, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #2,864 of 7,693
I'll be surprised if even 250 people get their tracking numbers by Friday.

It's going to be a very long 3 weeks before many get their tracking numbers.

It is going to be a long wait until we get our Mobius.

Audeze could be better with their communication. Like how many units are you going out in the first wave and when would the subsequent waves ship out.

But it is what it is. Crying ourselves hoarse is not going to change anything.

3 weeks? I doubt anyone on this forum has privaledged information to make that kind of assertion with absolute confidence. Especially as it directly conflicts with Communications from Audeze, who has all of the information & practices generally ethical business (not misleading type, etc)

No one is crying. It's reasonable for us to communicate with each other that we don't have tracking information on the day it was expected.

That doesn't mean we assume foul play or are pointing fingers etc.

The only negative attitudes I'm seeing are the posts like this who pontificate on expectations among the community and how we, as a collective, should behave with our communication.

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #2,865 of 7,693
Im confused about setting up 7.1 sound with my Nivida Shield/LG OLED B7V, im guessing it wont be enough to connect the mobius via USB to the nividia shield?
Thats what I'm planning on doing.

I'm considering an Nvidia Shield. But does its "Use USB" output mode support 5.1/7.1? The user guide shows that function as outputting to an external DAC. None that I know of support greater than two channel conversion. PrePros, sure. But not DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back