• I'm Team Blue

Votes: 120 26.6%
  • I'm Team Copper

Votes: 307 68.1%
  • I Chose Both

Votes: 24 5.3%

• Total voters
Jul 22, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #2,836 of 7,693
Ok, in my efforts to get true 5.1 in the Mobius sourced from a cable box ... giving up on Toslink to USB.

Anyone have experience with a device that takes HDMI in, and breaks-out the audio to USB out, -and- supports 5.1?

I already run an HDFury Integra to force Stereo out from the cable box, and also breaks out the 2.0 spdif over toslink sourced from hdmi. I could instead use the second hdmi out, run it to this proposed hdmi to usb audio out device, and plug that into the Mobius. ?maybe?

Imagining that would give us a true 5.1 (simulated 7.1?) Operation of the Mobius, but sourced from a cable box, not a computer. ?

Even if there were such a standalone device to take HDMI or Toslink and convert it to USB, it wouldn't have the drivers to support Mobius.

The only way to get to get 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound to Mobius from a device it doesn't support such as cable box, blu-ray player, PS4, Xbox, etc... is going to be through toslink or HDMI into a Windows or Mac computer that the Mobius is plugged into with USB. The problem with this will be how much latency will be introduced with the computer processing it all, it will be interesting, I'm sure many people will try this.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #2,837 of 7,693
The problem with this will be how much latency will be introduced with the computer processing it all, it will be interesting, I'm sure many people will try this.

Was thinking the same with PC as the only real option.

Cable box => HDMI => PC (video and audio)
PC => HDMI => TV (video)
PC => USB => Mobius (audio)

With both the sound and the vision coming from the PC the latency or lag between the two should be negligible.

Should be ok for a cable box - may cause too much latency for a console.

edit: would probably need to source a PC capture card to get the HDMI in

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #2,838 of 7,693
I'm pretty sure most media devices don't push out multi-channel audio over USB or toslink (or coaxial) due to copy protection. It always downmixes the tracks to stereo when you're outputting digital audio by means other than HDMI. Games are a different story.

Jul 22, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #2,839 of 7,693
So there is no 'driverless mode', huh? So then these multi-channel devices (edit: correction, ministreamer is 2-ch only) that I passed by a while ago, but just revisited when i realized it has a toslink in to USB out for recording in a PC (i.e. I FOUND THE UNICORN!), won't be syncable/readable by the Mobius?

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/ministreamer

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer

Cheap enough. I think I'll pick one (of each?) up anyway. May get lucky.

I began thinking the same ... needing to record/capture HDMI from the cablebox into a PC, monitored live, and configure audio to be output over USB to the Mobius. Yes, likely latency will prohibit using the primary say OLED TV display, and will require looking at the PC display. (Reminder, I use HDFury Integrals everywhere [can't recommend it enough] so a feature there is I split HDMI to feed the TV in parallel to what is fed to the PC)

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #2,840 of 7,693
Jul 23, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #2,841 of 7,693
A few Mobius impressions in the Canjam London thread here (pages 8 and 9 and one or two others): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-london-2018-impressions-thread-july-21-22-2018.884702/

Happy to see they're all positive! Also, two mentions of the Mobius arriving in the UK by the second week of August. No mention of the source of this info. It's getting closer!

Thanks for the info. Trying to find some and copy them here:

Audeze Mobius seems to be a interesting headphone did not listen to music, i much more interested in using it to watch flims and gaming. The headtracking i found was really nice moving my head left to right & up and down to the source of sounds was interesting it defintely is a nice touch not something i would say is not mind blowing but is simply a nice touch.

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #2,842 of 7,693
Thanks for the info. Trying to find some and copy them here:
Thanks, I'll help too.

page 7
Yes.
Initial impression
Music on default setting with 3D and tracking off - from laptop USB Tidal - master quality - very nice - bass tight with good extension Vocals smooth - Highs a bit more emphasis than I expected - Sound stage good for closed backs
I am very happy I preordered - will work brilliantly as OTG I think - No other presets except default available - so may be even better for music - but we will see.
Movie ( Avatar ) 3D and tracking on - Just BANG ON - cannot ask for more really

page 8
Audeze Mobius

I had some listening time on both the music rig and the cinema rig. What you're hearing from all other reviewers is true: these are really super good in both settings. A few things I didn't know before I tried them:

Music with head tracking: changes the sound signature from a "yep, I'm wearing good headphones" experience to more of a speakers-in-a-room experience. Really cool! And really well-done and good-sounding. For some material I might choose one, for some the other.

Weight and comfort: they aren't particularly light, but they are completely comfortable. Nooo problem.

Noise isolation: these are closed, but they're not noise canceling nor super isolating. When the CanJam hall was pretty empty they were fine, but when I listened later at a busier time, I really did have to turn up the volume.

My opinion: Mobius is good enough for music that it deserves to be the default choice for someone starting out who wants a really good "first headphone" in this price range. It sounds very good and doesn't require amps, DACs, or dongles. Just as a headphone it delivers so much value at its price point that you can think of head tracking mode, gaming, headset, and cinema as amazing value-adds that you get for free. Awesome. But sadly not enough isolation for me to recommend them in an open-office (or coworking space) setting.

page 8
The prize for the best value feature packed headphone must got to: Audeze Mobius. Fantastic, in one word especially if you like watching movies like me. Music in 5.1 is OK, but movies in 5.1 and 7.1 are very impressive. This headphone sounds open for a closed headphone. When i was watching Sherlock Holmes 2011 in 5.1 when they run in the forest and are being shot at, the explosions, bullets hitting the trees, was very immersive, and for a second it didn't give me the impression that i was listening to headphones. It sounded just in a great cinema, or like me being between two big high quality speakers. If you didn't pre order one, do so. I bought a pair on spon at an extra special discount for the show. The hype is real and i think they will sell millions once people will realise how good this is for watching movies. I didn't try games as they didn't have the facilities. But LDAC Bluetooth function works really well when paired with a music player of mobile phone compatible. Been told they expect them in UK in the first or second week of August.

page 9
Audeze
I have the Mobius on preorder from an Indiegogo campaign as does half of headfi by the sound of it. The good news is that all UK orders should be at UK addresses by the 2nd week in August. The Mobius was a triumph. In it's price range of RRP 350 sterling, and considering I purchased at 269 USD it's a must for audiophiles that game or Smyth Realiser clients that have got through all 4 sets of fingernails waiting for the finalising of the future of headphone technology. The audio quality is of Audeze's standards which is a massive reassurance for me. The 3d audio presentation was very similar to a cinema experience, easily enough to convince me I've got the audio bargain of the year.
That's the bulk of it.

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #2,844 of 7,693
That's some fine impressions right there. Really starting to get excited for these.

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #2,845 of 7,693
The hype is real and i think they will sell millions once people will realise how good this is for watching movies.

...Just a generic quote of quoted text from a different thread to set context....

@Audeze please advise...

I expect an explosion of Mobius users wanting to not be tied to a computer playing a DVD or Blueray, and wanting this experience from their cablebox or high quality home theater media player (net of it, when none have USB audio out).

Are you able to help me/us with this -- when source is audio over S/PDIF or HDMI from a cable box or media player -- and recommend to us/buyers a digital to digital converter/adapter or whatever we can purchase to achieve this end? Thank you for any replies.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #2,846 of 7,693
Big thanks to all the guys that were at the CanJam and left (or are going to leave) their Mobius impressions in that thread. It's awesome to read how good they are. I feel like a kid on christmas eve… :sweat_smile:

Jul 23, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #2,847 of 7,693
...Just a generic quote of quoted text from a different thread to set context....

@Audeze please advise...

I expect an explosion of Mobius users wanting to not be tied to a computer playing a DVD or Blueray, and wanting this experience from their cablebox or high quality home theater media player (net of it, when none have USB audio out).

Are you able to help me/us with this -- when source is audio over S/PDIF or HDMI from a cable box or media player -- and recommend to us/buyers a digital to digital converter/adapter or whatever we can purchase to achieve this end? Thank you for any replies.

Not to mention there's not either any easy way as regards to Bluetooth connectivity due lack of the widely used aptX (I do think the surround+head tracking will work very decently in stereo too as the Waves Nx app shows). I'd love to hook this headphone up to my Bluetooth transmitter with aptX-Low Latency support (again aptX-LL has the lowest latency of all bluetooth codecs to date!) and watch TV/movies this way without any lipsync issues when not wanting to disturb others (it pretty much provides a personal simulated speaker experience without disturbing anyone else). Hope @Audeze takes note for an inevitable future improved Mobius product with improved movie watching useage scenario compatibility in terms of connectivity. :) Mobius is probably just as fit for movie watching as it is for PC gaming so it makes sense to expand on its strengths.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #2,849 of 7,693
Im confused about setting up 7.1 sound with my Nivida Shield/LG OLED B7V, im guessing it wont be enough to connect the mobius via USB to the nividia shield?

Thats what I'm planning on doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back