Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??
Jun 16, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #1,321 of 1,379
Thanks for your impressions, Nordwestlicht. What is your signal chain (dac, amp, any special cables or computer tweaks)? Also, is your HD800 of recent manufacture (5-digit serial number, or close)? 

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #1,322 of 1,379

Quote:
Much as I enjoyed my time with the LCD2s, they did not sound like "real life" to me. They sounded like a different sort of nice hifi headphone. Now I keep my expectations moderate. Happy days.

I'm waiting for that LCD2 revelation too.  I'm not discounting it, I just have yet to experience it despite three or four listenings.  The fit does piss me off something special too.

Jun 16, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #1,323 of 1,379
Hello grokit.

Here is my chain:

Denon DVD-3910 (CD, HDCD, DVD-A, SACD, MP3) @ Pure Direct Mode via analog stereo cinch out ->
Sommercable Classique cable with Hicon cinch, 0,50 mm² OFC, 100% screened, 0,3m length ->
Meier Audio Corda Cantate.2 @ high gain @ crossfeed off ->
HD800

A good chain for the HD800 has to have a very low output impedance (0 ohms) like the Cantate.2 has, to achieve the sound that is meant for it [you surely can experiment with different resistors to get different sounds out of the HD800], and it has to have no audible noise at all when you turn the volume up to the maximum (unlike some tube amps have) and it must have the right amount of power to drive the HD800 (2 o'clock so far has been my maximum volume setting on the Cantate.2 for the HD800 because I don't want to become deaf very soon with my 29 years atm
wink_face.gif
...).

That all is given with the chain mentioned above.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to answer a question: My HD800 has a S/N of 078xx

OT:

I think I'm a rational person and I really don't believe in differences when it comes to the sound of cables and digital sources, unless they are (wilfully) badly constructed. Because I'm an open minded person, I did believe in some things of this sort in the past, but I was refuted and have learned out of it.

Most people tend to spend much money for expansive "voodoo-HiFi-things" (different cables, expansive CD players, etc.) that won't last a single blind test.

They may do it and believe that they've improved something this way, if they feel good with it. I don't, unless it has been proven to me without a doubt, that there is really an improvement. Most so called improvements already fail when it comes to scientific/physical arguments.

This is my personal opinion out of experience and some knowledge, but it's far away from the topic... sorry for that.

Quote:
Thanks for your impressions, Nordwestlicht. What is your signal chain (dac, amp, any special cables or computer tweaks)? Also, is your HD800 of recent manufacture (5-digit serial number, or close)? 

Jun 16, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #1,324 of 1,379
^

Why do you feel '0' is so important?  Anything lower than 10 ohms should yield significantly diminished returns wrt damping factor.  Tyll just did some measurements on the Beyer 880 32/250/600 last month or so.  Am I missing something?

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #1,327 of 1,379
I'm looking at getting one of these headphones in a couple of months

I currently have 701 and DT 880 and much prefer the 701's

Based on this which one out of the LCD2 and HD800 would suit me do you think?

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #1,328 of 1,379

Quote:
My HD800’s sounds better now, now they’re gone!
LCD-2 have taken pride of place.

Maybe I need to hear the LCD2 w/ a Beta22.  Seems to be the magic missing from the LCD2 in my listening so far.

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #1,329 of 1,379

Quote:

HD800 for sure.  But it kind of depends on why you prefer the 701.  The LCD2 has less treble and more bass than both of them. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #1,330 of 1,379

Quote:

Definitely the HD800 in that case.

Quote:
Maybe I need to hear the LCD2 w/ a Beta22.  Seems to be the magic missing from the LCD2 in my listening so far.

I don't think that's it, they're phenomenal even out my HDP.

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #1,331 of 1,379

Quote:
I don't think that's it, they're phenomenal even out my HDP.

Really?  Aren't you selling yours?  The Lyr, Burson, WA5, Violectric haven't nailed it for me yet.  And I don't even find the LCD2's I heard dark.  I'm wondering about the earpad variants now too.

Jun 17, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #1,332 of 1,379

Quote:
Really?  Aren't you selling yours?  The Lyr, Burson, WA5, Violectric haven't nailed it for me yet.  And I don't even find the LCD2's I heard dark.  I'm wondering about the earpad variants now too.

Had a big revelation with them, I love them now and absolutely don't consider them dark in the least. (see http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/453116/audeze-lcd-2-orthos/12630) I am selling my current pair because I just copped a great deal on an LCD2 plus Schiit Lyr that'll be here soon. If I suddenly adore them after considering them one of the worst cans I ever heard, and through only an HDP too, they're VERY special
wink.gif
 If you don't like them with all of those amps, they must not be for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back