Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??
May 17, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #1,246 of 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X2 on both counts. The LCD-2 faithfully reproduces the soundstage that is in the recording. If there is no soundstage present in the recording the LCD-2 will not create one for you.

This is where I disagree. I listen to speakers from time to time, which provides a really good, airy sound stage, but that goes without saying. The HD800 tends to emulate this kind of sound stage and airiness, so much so that there have times when I thought my speaker rig was still on while listening with the HD800. The LCD-2 doesn't create the same effect for me.

May 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #1,249 of 1,379

Quote:
And comfort! 

I actually don't have any comfort problem with the LCD2. Perhaps it's because after years and years of training with the bowl pads of a Grado HF2. 
tongue.gif

May 17, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #1,250 of 1,379
May 17, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #1,252 of 1,379
Quote:
Quote:

This is where I disagree. I listen to speakers from time to time, which provides a really good, airy sound stage, but that goes without saying. The HD800 tends to emulate this kind of sound stage and airiness, so much so that there have times when I thought my speaker rig was still on while listening with the HD800. The LCD-2 doesn't create the same effect for me.

Definitely. When people say the LCD2s have perfect soundstage reproduction, they must be putting speakers right next to their ears. I don't judge anyone that does that but no wonder they prefer headphones instead.

May 19, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #1,253 of 1,379

Quote:
Definitely. When people say the LCD2s have perfect soundstage reproduction, they must be putting speakers right next to their ears. I don't judge anyone that does that but no wonder they prefer headphones instead.

Remember there's a difference between a conventionally recorded stereo image and a binaurally recorded image.

May 19, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #1,254 of 1,379
Only speaking for myself, of course, once I got my LCD-2s hooked up with a Taboo amplifier, I sold my RSA Apache and my HD800s. I loved my Senns very much, and they are definitely lighter than the LCD-2s, and their apparent soundstage is wider, though not deeper for me. The Taboo's crossfeed, called Lucid Mode, also has a significant, favorable impact on the LCD-2 soundstage. But the Senns just aren't as musical for me.

Though the Senns are lighter, I don't find the LCD-2s uncomfortable. It is their musical involvement that causes me to wear them for hours at a time.

May 31, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #1,255 of 1,379
I’m hanging up my serial number 00427 HD800’s and calling it quits after a 2 year stint of love and hate. Both LCD-2’s and HD800’s are flawed, the LCD’s are just more forgivable. The HD800’s tilt in the treble is now so obvious after living with both phones for a month or so, it just sticks out like proverbial dog balls. The only thing I will miss is that great HD800’s bass... other than that, it’s goodbye to an artificially expanded soundstage and that dang irritating peak that never goes away no matter what equipment... and say hello to the imaging kings, with real fleshy tone, great dynamics, wallet saving, music loving phones of all time, yes folks - the LCD-2’s! Yeah well I’m excited... ordered my pair today.  

May 31, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #1,256 of 1,379
^ I know the feeling. I keep saying that I will give the HD800 another try sometime but I'm leaning more toward just waiting for the non-existant HD850. Lol. Good thing I love my LCD-2.

May 31, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #1,257 of 1,379

Quote:
I’m hanging up my serial number 00427 HD800’s and calling it quits after a 2 year stint of love and hate. Both LCD-2’s and HD800’s are flawed, the LCD’s are just more forgivable. The HD800’s tilt in the treble is now so obvious after living with both phones for a month or so, it just sticks out like proverbial dog balls. The only thing I will miss is that great HD800’s bass... other than that, it’s goodbye to an artificially expanded soundstage and that god dam irritating peak that never goes away no matter what equipment... and say hello to the imaging kings, with real fleshy tone, great dynamics, wallet saving, music loving phones of all time, yes folks - the LCD-2’s! Yeah well I’m excited... ordered my pair today.  

Before I make my comment, let me just say that I love the LCD-2...probably my favourite-sounding cans other than the O2MK1.

But, are you sure your HD800s weren't from the early thin-sounding batch? The bass has been noticeably bumped up in later serial numbers (making the treble seem less prominent). This is readily visible from the frequency response graph.

May 31, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #1,258 of 1,379
I'll be fortunate to have with me the LCD2 I'm borrowing for a few days. Along with my HD800 plus the HE500 loaner. I'll be able to compare all three headphones with the Woo WA6SE, the Woo WA2 (on loan) and the beta22. I'll be all geeked out for a couple of days. :).

May 31, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #1,259 of 1,379

Quote:
I'll be fortunate to have with me the LCD2 I'm borrowing for a few days. Along with my HD800 plus the HE500 loaner. I'll be able to compare all three headphones with the Woo WA6SE, the Woo WA2 (on loan) and the beta22. I'll be all geeked out for a couple of days. :).

WoW!  Looking forward to hearing about your impressions!

May 31, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #1,260 of 1,379
Quote:
Before I make my comment, let me just say that I love the LCD-2...probably my favourite-sounding cans other than the O2MK1.

But, are you sure your HD800s weren't from the early thin-sounding batch? The bass has been noticeably bumped up in later serial numbers (making the treble seem less prominent). This is readily visible from the frequency response graph.

Quite plausible and may explain a bigger difference, I’ve never read anything about an earlier thinner sounding batch, the serial is quite low though. I also have on hand the HE 6’s, the HD800’s is the biggest departure from the three (bass thinner and treble peaked).  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back