Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??
Feb 17, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #916 of 1,379

Quote:
Well Frank your preferences go toward plantars it sounds like.  For me it is the opposite.  I felt that the 800s were more transparent and gave a more natural sound.  Although I liked the LCD2, I felt that it didn't present the music in a cohesive way.  I can't speak for the HE6, whether it is a plantar thing of an LCD2 thing.  Just to choppy and disjointed of a sound for me.  Made me feel like they had more work to do to get the sound, but it sounds okay at the pricepoint.  If the LDC3 has more fluidity that would suit me well.

For me those are really the only two headphones I would own as everything else I have heard is not as musical and has much less transparency in my system. I also have an ATW1000X which wont be around here too long unless I hear drastic differences in the next two weeks. For closed I preferred the D7000 but in the end the two planar cans are my preference and it hard for me to imagine anything better. Your opinion is you prefer the Hd800 guess what thats why there are other products to choose from as everybody likes different things. I believe I only need those two headphones and I am chasing a Ghost that I cant catch.

Feb 17, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #917 of 1,379
Yeah, I am fairly happy where I stand too but regrettably I have been delegated to mainly closed cans for the last six months so I am spending most of my time with the Ed8 LE and the DX1000. Luckily I enjoy them both quite a bite though they are a hair below the HD800s.

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #918 of 1,379

Quote:
The LCD2 is also very good with my Taboo. Reports from Macedonian Hero and Skylab and Kwarth also like the WA2 so I think there are many tube amps that do well with them. The HD800 preferred my OTL CSP-2. and DMinches and Rob own the Leben also a great match plus Baka1969 Woo 6SE was also a good match.  So right there are four very good synergistic amps plus the Zana Deux. Tube amps and the LCD2 are very very good IMO/

Quote:
I listened to the LCD2 wiith Frank I's Taboo and my WA6SE and have had spectacular results. I'll also admit the B22 with the LCD2 was also special. I'm hopefully, when my B22 returns to me, will get Frank's LCD2 on loan for about a week and will spend time with it and my amps. The HD800 is also an excellent match for the B22. The WA6SE works extremely well with the HD800 even though it's transformer couples where some have said the OTL was a better fit. Having heard the HD800 on both sides of Frank's Decware I might agree with his setup but I believe, and the others that have heard it, that the 6SE is a great mating.

If I have both the LCD2 and HD800 with me using both amp I can then further evaluate which headphone I prefer. Or maybe both are just excellent compliments to the other? I hope to see.

As much as I enjoy my LCD-2s with my Concerto, like my good friends Ross and Frank, they do also work very well with my WA2. Not to mention, they sound quite good with my MAD Ear+HD (though this is my #3 go to amp with my planars).

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #919 of 1,379

Quote:
Yeah, I am fairly happy where I stand too but regrettably I have been delegated to mainly closed cans for the last six months so I am spending most of my time with the Ed8 LE and the DX1000. Luckily I enjoy them both quite a bite though they are a hair below the HD800s.

LoL...hard life having to only live with the Ed8 LEs and DX1000s. Rough life.
smile.gif

BTW, got my Ed. 8 LEs on right now...still the best closed cans I've heard. The sound staging of these cans rival many open cans I've owned/heard.

In March, my Ultrasones will be getting 100% head time as my out of town in-laws will be visiting again. And no full sized headphones I've heard yet isolate as well as these do.
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #921 of 1,379
I prefer the Ed 8 over the HD800 :D

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #923 of 1,379
I prefer them over the LCD2.

LOL! And there you have it - the Edition 8 is better than BOTH of these!

(depending, of course, on your point of view...) :D :D

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #925 of 1,379
I must say that I have just joined the Edition 8 club as of today :) I used to own both the LCD-2 and HD800 and they both have their merits...but I've moved on since (for better or worse).  I must say that I'm quite impressed with the Edition 8 after a few hours with them...they are meant to be an alternate to my ESW10 headphones at work, which I absolutely love.  Granted that the Ed8 are technically superior to the ESW10s, I feel that the vocals are not as forward as I would like them to be...but I guess it is an Audio technica thing regarding bumped up mids.

Built quality though is really tremendous compared to the LCD-2 especially...and they feel quite a bit more durable than the HD800s with their paint problem.  As for sound, while they don't have the soundstage of the HD800s or the bass/resolution of the LCD-2, I feel that the Ed8s are extremely melodic headphones that really make my head bob :)  

Now my only question to all of you is if you could recommend a good little dac/amp that would work well with them at the office.  The ipod just isn't cutting it with the Ed8 and unfortunately I only have a balanced amp at home, so I can't listen to them with a proper dac/amp as of right now.  Do they improve quite well with better equipment?

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #926 of 1,379
Yes, you can hear the difference clearly, i have jumped around a bit.  I listen to them at home mainly on the v200, at work and on the road with the Pico and Lisa lll, Lisa lll sounds much better though.  Occasionally with Zana Deux but the impedance isn't perfect so good soundstage but loses some fullness/umph.  When i am going lite i go straight out of the HM801 with the Game amp upgrade which isn't bad but i would believe that an ipod would sound a bit flat on them straight out of the hp jack.

Congratulations on the new cans, maybe we will see them in Venice at the upcoming meet.
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #927 of 1,379

Quote:
I own a Zana Deux and I thought the LCD2 sounded good on it, I didn't expect it either.
smile.gif

Yeah but the HD800 sounds magical with the Zana Deux. I believe that similar to the HD650, HD800 needs tube to bring out the best from them. Unfortunately the HD800 is simply not versatile enough for me especially with contemporary music. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #928 of 1,379

Quote:
The reason I decided to sell the HD800 was in transparency it was no match for both the LCD2 or the hE6. I also was bothered by the harsh treble peak on well recorded albums that was missing on both planar and the T1. in ranking the headphones IMO it would be LCD2,HE6,T1 and the HD800 both the T1 and HD800 IMO were a step below the planar. I also found the bass more extended on the first three more so on the two planar withe much better bass and the hD800 bass was soft from what I heard on the other three and also not what you would hear in live acoustic music. The HD800 strong point was the sound stage but in the end for me in my system the transparency and overall transparency that was missing in both the HD800 and the T1 in relation to the two planar forced me to sell both of them as I could not see either the T1 nor the HD800 at their price points gathering dust but in the end that was what was happening. These are my opinion and many will appreciate the HD800 more than I did but in my system the LCD2 and HE6 rule the roost.My opinion shares Skylab original review. I just appreciate transparency more than sound stage and I did not like the peak in the treble. My pair was purchased this month so it was a brand new pair. Considering all the planar  are much less expensive and the T1 also . I preferred the first three over the HHD800 and in the end I kept the two planar.  Your opinion may vary.

In terms of transparency,  HE60 beats all headphones I have heard so far including DH800.    Unfortunately I haven't heard LCD2 and I am a bit surprised it outperform HE60 in this category.     I don't think HE60 has better bass than HD800 though, neither T1.    IMHO  HE60 is a league above all the top dynamic headphones and I mean ALL!     Between HE60 and HE90 the verdict is that they both have their own merits. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #929 of 1,379

Quote:

In terms of transparency,  HE60 beats all headphones I have heard so far including DH800.    Unfortunately I haven't heard LCD2 and I am a bit surprised it outperform HE60 in this category.     I don't think HE60 has better bass than HD800 though, neither T1.    IMHO  HE60 is a league above all the top dynamic headphones and I mean ALL!     Between HE60 and HE90 the verdict is that they both have their own merits. 

while I have never heard the HE60 I have heard the HE90 and IMO the LCD2 is more transparent and has much better more accurate bass.If you have the opportunity give the LCD2 a listen it will surprise you on how good it really is, The is a member here El Doug who sold his HE90 because he liked the LCD2 and his comments were posted. glad you like the HE60 I liked the HE90 but it not in my price range.  replacement parts also are very very expensive also as Sennheiser has them but they really charge much for them. For the money LCD2 is IMO the best headphone value in the marketplace.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #930 of 1,379
Yeah

Yeah but the HD800 sounds magical with the Zana Deux. I believe that similar to the HD650, HD800 needs tube to bring out the best from them. Unfortunately the HD800 is simply not versatile enough for me especially with contemporary music. 

Yeah I use them for live jam rock mainly and jimmy type of classic rock, I don't do the hip hop, rap or American idol stuff so I guess they are versatile enough for me.:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back