Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??
Feb 3, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #574 of 1,379
All these praises about LCD2 makes me wonder if I should give them a second chance. When I compared LCD2 with HD800 side by side, I preferred HD800 over LCD2. Maybe I was too quick to make the decision to let LCD2 go. Maybe I will buy them again later. 

I often see people consider HD800's sound as analytical and LCD2 has more organic and natural sound. Interesting thing is that I consider HD800 as very musical and organic. I know I am going to get shot by a lot of people for saying this but LCD2 was too dark and not engaging enough for me when compared to HD800. I guess I have different ears.   

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #575 of 1,379
^^^ Hardly... The getting shot down part, I mean. I loved the HD800s and would have kept them but the treble bothered me. I thought the LCDs treble was dark as well (well, it is), even compared to the HD650, but there's no lack of detail and I've gotten used to the presentation.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #576 of 1,379

Quote:
All these praises about LCD2 makes me wonder if I should give them a second chance. When I compared LCD2 with HD800 side by side, I preferred HD800 over LCD2. Maybe I was too quick to make the decision to let LCD2 go. Maybe I will buy them again later. 

I often see people consider HD800's sound as analytical and LCD2 has more organic and natural sound. Interesting thing is that I consider HD800 as very musical and organic. I know I am going to get shot by a lot of people for saying this but LCD2 was too dark and not engaging enough for me when compared to HD800. I guess I have different ears.   

They're the only ears you've got so don't be apologetic for preferring the HD800 to the LCD-2. Your listening preferences are just as valid as anyone else who posts here. 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #577 of 1,379
I actually agree about preferring the HD800s to the LCD2s in general (I've had both for several months).
 I don't find the highs of the LCD2s suppressed too much. I actually like the highs a lot, and enjoy their un-abusive nature on all recordings, even hyped-up CDs.
But, especially compared to the HD800s, there is bit of slowness or syrupyness.
I don't find this slowness on Grado PS1000s either.
If I were a designer at Audeze, I would be working on this aspect of the sound, and if they could address it but keep that wonderful and rare
combination of non-aggressiveness and detail and spaciousness, they would have a real world-beater.
Good luck Audeze.

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #578 of 1,379
Funny how much sound sig can polarize people perceptions because the LCD-2 really are blazing fast for a headphone even if they are a tad warm.

The HD 800 sound quick (and are very quick) partly because the bass in comparison is dampened more.

Both headphones are pretty much close to if not the last words on speed from what I have seen/heard.

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #580 of 1,379

Quote:

I have all three and in comparing the three the two orthos are a step up from the HD800 The bass is soft on the HD800 and only goes to 44hz. It is not what you would hear in either a recording studio or live concert. the two orthos achieve that goal. They are also a clearer window into the music. The HD800 is a very airy and soundstage champion. It has air and space something the HE6 achieves but the HE6 has better transparency not as comfortable but better overall. The LCD is the neutral vocal king had leass air and space over the other two and the smallest soundstage in comparison and IMO more comfortable on my head than the HE6 but not as light as the HD800. Overall I still think the LCD2 is the closest to live events that you can hear IMO of course but I bought all three and am keeping all three so it what floats someones boat. But remarkbly both orthos are less expensive

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #581 of 1,379

Quote:
If you check out threads asking "what are the fastest headphones" you will notice almost all the headphones listed are also the brightest headphones out there. 
wink.gif

All that says is that most people have no understanding what "fast" means.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #583 of 1,379

Quote:

Quote:

I have all three and in comparing the three the two orthos are a step up from the HD800 The bass is soft on the HD800 and only goes to 44hz. It is not what you would hear in either a recording studio or live concert. the two orthos achieve that goal. They are also a clearer window into the music. The HD800 is a very airy and soundstage champion. It has air and space something the HE6 achieves but the HE6 has better transparency not as comfortable but better overall. The LCD is the neutral vocal king had leass air and space over the other two and the smallest soundstage in comparison and IMO more comfortable on my head than the HE6 but not as light as the HD800. Overall I still think the LCD2 is the closest to live events that you can hear IMO of course but I bought all three and am keeping all three so it what floats someones boat. But remarkbly both orthos are less expensive

I respectfully disagree, Frank :). Lots of music I listen to has very important rhythmic information at 60-20hz and the HD 800 can very much play this... I have also tested with pure sine waves and they indeed go as low as the others, maybe a bit quieter at the same depth though. I do have a bassier HD 800 though. But overall I can see very much how the orthos could have better SQ.

Quote:
Quote:
If you check out threads asking "what are the fastest headphones" you will notice almost all the headphones listed are also the brightest headphones out there. 
wink.gif

yeap! definitely does not match an inexperienced persons perception though... I remember the days when I though the SA5K was the speed king -untouchable. My LCD-2 blew them away in terms of speed (and everything else) but that was with 2 years more experience. They still sound fast initially though i find. Finally, looking at the qualia and SA5K measurements its crazy to think they sound quick at all.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #584 of 1,379

Quote:
The bass is soft on the HD800 and only goes to 44hz.

I'm wondering if you could elaborate on the 44hz cut-off you mentioned?  Is this from testing you've done on your own pair or is it published elsewhere?  Thanks!

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #585 of 1,379

Quote:
Quote:
wink.gif

that's what the wink smiley was supposed to mean
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back