Audeze LCD2 vs Sennheiser HD800??
Jan 30, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #526 of 1,379
^ Just wondering out loud sokolov91. :wink: I'd love to be able to compare them for myself and form my own opinions regardless of what the frequency response measurements say.

"That being said, the LCD-2 and HD 800 are a great combo to have. Great complementary characteristics."

I agree with this bit.

Jan 30, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #527 of 1,379
Quote:
^ Just wondering out loud sokolov91. :wink: I'd love to be able to compare them for myself and form my own opinions regardless of what the frequency response measurements say.

Yeah man, forget what the measurements say, that's only going to give you the possibility of being persuaded by something other than what you, yourself, truly think sounds better.

I got a chance to listen to LCD-2's, HD800's, and T1's on Friday at DXC Store in Culver City, and EASILY went with the LCD-2. And after going home, and auditioning them now for 12+ hours since Friday, I haven't thought twice about that decision at all!

Anyone who's interested in auditioning high-end, or even any price ranged headphone, before buying, should give DXC store a visit. It's a head-fi'ers paradise. I even wrote about it, and took pics of my LCD-2's here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536790/my-audez-e-lcd-2-pickup-dxc-store-in-culver-city-ca

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #529 of 1,379
For people who think the HD800 is just a little bit to bright, and who also thing the LCD-2 is a little bit too dark, the Beyer T1 and the HifiMan HE-6 are good choices, as they are "in between".  Of these, if you have the amp to drive them, the HE-6 are better, IMO.

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #530 of 1,379
^ I tried the T1 at the meet and found it rather bright; more so than the HD800 on that day. I also detected a metallic quality in its sound, which was unpleasant and unique to that headphone. It was plugged into the DNA Sonett as I recall. I prefer both the HD800 and LCD-2 to the T1.

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #531 of 1,379
I agree with Rob on the points. The T1 I have sold and I like the HE6 better but I have the proper amp for them. I will have the HD800 on Tuesday so I will have to see which two will stay but the LCD2 is not dark IMO just warm type of tone. The T1 with the tube CSP-2 worked very well and I owned them for 8 months. I never heard any metallic sound and it could been the tube amp I felt was the best match. The 6 is more transparent and fixes the space and soundstage issue I have had with the LCD2 but the LCD2 is richer in sound than the HE6 .

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #532 of 1,379

Quote:

"That being said, the LCD-2 and HD 800 are a great combo to have. Great complementary characteristics."

I agree with this bit.

You asked for the basis of the notion the new flagships are better, and I gave you both! Don't shoot the messenger! :p

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #533 of 1,379

Quote:
For people who think the HD800 is just a little bit to bright, and who also thing the LCD-2 is a little bit too dark, the Beyer T1 and the HifiMan HE-6 are good choices, as they are "in between".  Of these, if you have the amp to drive them, the HE-6 are better, IMO.

Yup, what Sky said...  IMHO, I would take the HE-6 over the T1, and I've never heard the HE-6 production version... Call me an Ortho head!!

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #535 of 1,379

Quote:
Quote:

Yup, what Sky said...  IMHO, I would take the HE-6 over the T1, and I've never heard the HE-6 production version... Call me an Ortho head!!

Kevin I will say the production HE6 stomps the pr0to in every way possible. it is focused  and more easier to drive as the prototype was not getting any volume all the way up and this at low setting is working so well. It is a step up IMO than the T1. But unfortunately not everyone can own it unless they commit to having the proper amp to drive them

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #536 of 1,379
Quote:
^ What did you think of the HD800 and T1 and why do you prefer the LCD-2?

I really did enjoy both the T1's and HD800's. The HD800's had some of the best treble detail I've heard, and the T1's had great imaging. I just really relate to the member who posted earlier, about how the HD800's (and in this case, the Beyer T1's also) sound like high-end headphones, but TO ME, the LCD-2's sounded like real life.

Again, this is arguable till the end of time, but FOR ME, I couldn't have imagined a more life-like sounding set of headphones.

Jan 30, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #537 of 1,379
I have mostly argued toward the 800's but i was again reminded today using a different amp at how badly they can sound.  I really understand when auditioned next to the LCD-2 how they fail.  I think if I had a lesser amp than the Zana Deux I may choose the LCD-2.  The 800's are just so insanely amp/source dependent.  Without the right chain they can sound really bad and I have yet to hear the LCD-2 sound bad on anything i have tested it on......xcan v3, Zana Deux, v200 and i think the Sonett and a Woo amp too.  So just for the record, i get it and when i criticize the LCD-2 for it's lack of musical integration, it is a criticism of top tier pickiness vs. other on the best systems that i can find.

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #538 of 1,379

Quote:
Quote:

I agree with this bit.

You asked for the basis of the notion the new flagships are better, and I gave you both! Don't shoot the messenger! :p

Touchy! 
wink.gif

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #539 of 1,379

Quote:
I have mostly argued toward the 800's but i was again reminded today using a different amp at how badly they can sound.  I really understand when auditioned next to the LCD-2 how they fail.  I think if I had a lesser amp than the Zana Deux I may choose the LCD-2.  The 800's are just so insanely amp/source dependent.  Without the right chain they can sound really bad and I have yet to hear the LCD-2 sound bad on anything i have tested it on......xcan v3, Zana Deux, v200 and i think the Sonett and a Woo amp too.  So just for the record, i get it and when i criticize the LCD-2 for it's lack of musical integration, it is a criticism of top tier pickiness vs. other on the best systems that i can find.

Yes, I can't emphasise enough that my criticisms of these headphones is really an exercise in splitting hairs. Both are very impressive and if I was to receive either I'd be stoked. I don't recall hearing a noticeable difference in the sound of the HD800 out of the three different amps that I auditioned it with but those nuances are probably lost on me. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #540 of 1,379

Quote:

Agree. It is very difficult in my limited experience thus far to make the LCD-2s sound less than very good, and relatively easy to make them sound terrific. The HD800s are far more work. For some the comfort and particular SQ advantages (soundstaging) will make that extra work worth it. I would place the T1s closer to the LCD-2 in this respect also -- they can sound very good with even rather modest equipment. I guess I think of the 800s as tools, not as relax-and-enjoy phones. For others they may well be both.

o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back