Audeze LCD-X
Oct 11, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #77 of 12,748

Humm, I think you haven't been here long enough to witness the price evolution with all the generations... It started as a bargain, then became fair before it went overboard (IMO) and maybe now is recalibration time.

You realize the price was also evolving outside the Head-fi website, right ? 

Oct 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #78 of 12,748
  I think they may be doing the marketing strategy that Apple has used so successfully: increasing spec with each new model, but decreasing price as well.  I wouldn`t be surprised at all if the x outperforms the 3....  

On another topic, those closed versions are already mentally occupying a space on desk and burning a hole in my wallet.

if the price will be lower, will be a good choice but i have great doubts

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #81 of 12,748
The specs on the LCD-X and LCD-3 are similar (although no weight listed for the LCD-X yet). Interestingly, the LCD-3 description states:

Our research and development team took the popular LCD-2 headphones and created the Audeze LCD-3 with a thinner planar magnetic diaphragm controlled by an even more efficient magnetic structure.

Efficiency:  91 dB/1 mW

The LCD-X description states:

The LCD-X features a newly-developed and processed transducer made of a thinner and lighter alternative material with new Fazor technology. Our patent-pending Fazor elements are unique to the LCD-X and LCD-XC and help guide and manage the flow of sound in the headphone. The result is improved phase response, greater frequency extension, smoother frequency response, and remarkable 3D holographic imaging.

Efficiency:  96 dB/1 mW

So if the evolution of the drivers from the LCD-2 to the LCD-3 was a thinner transducer and greater efficiency, the same seems to be true for the X drivers. 
So, Fazors on stun.
beerchug.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #83 of 12,748
  22 ohms vs 45 ohms, not really that similar.

I was focusing on the specs that relate to sound quality and my point is that the LCD-X doesn't have any inferior specs to the LCD-3.  Impedance doesn't tell you anything about sound quality. Efficiency doesn't either, but I get the feeling that the X is an evolution and improvement of their transducer line.

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #85 of 12,748

I was focusing on the specs that relate to sound quality and my point is that the LCD-X doesn't have any inferior specs to the LCD-3.  Impedance doesn't tell you anything about sound quality. Efficiency doesn't either, but I get the feeling that the X is an evolution and improvement of their transducer line.

It is hard to determine which is inferior from the specs alone but the impedance alone signifies that it will be easier to run off portable players. That is probably what this new line of X is designed to be, more portable and on the road for studio/pro use.

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #87 of 12,748

It is hard to determine which is inferior from the specs alone but the impedance alone signifies that it will be easier to run off portable players. That is probably what this new line of X is designed to be, more portable and on the road for studio/pro use.

Yes, I think better efficiency was one of the design goals. From my perspective as an LCD-2 owner, I'm very interested in the LCD-X if it's an improvement on the LCD-3 and not at all interested if the quality is below the LCD-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back