Audeze LCD-X
Feb 17, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #12,736 of 12,748
Sorry for thread hijacking. :) I'm considering a closed back complement to the LCD-X. It seems that LCD-XC is a much brighter headphone, while LCD-2 Closed more closely matches the frequency response of the LCD-X on Crinacle: https://crinacle.com/graphs/headpho...CD-X_(2021),LCD-2_Closed_Back&bass=5&tool=711

Does anyone know if LCD-2 Closed is a worthy complement? It's not like substantially less resolving or something?

Feb 19, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #12,737 of 12,748
Playing without EQ, the soundstage sounds massive (sounds smaller than K712 but deeper, denser and fuller with detail).

IME, with resolving upstream gear (especially with stage depth capability), the LCD-X sounds plenty good on its own without EQ. However, there is still a wonkiness to the upper mids that can have an impact to female vocals, in particular. There's a slight wooly and honky effect, likely due to the dip in the 3-4kHz region. It's undeniable.

As soon as I apply EQ to that region (even just a 4dB boost in there), the oddities are gone and you also gain a bit of improvement in stage depth and spatial cues. Other than that, all I really need in terms of EQ is a slight bass shelf of 2dB, and it's pretty much a perfect headphone to me.

The LCD-X is the best I've heard below $2000 for my favorite genres (prog rock, metal). It has the slight darkness to the upper frequencies, but the incredible bass and natural midrange to go with it. This headphone has the fewest tradeoffs, while holding the most points in my preferred categories.

Feb 19, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #12,738 of 12,748
I only use an audio interface DAC out into an audio mixer, but I still think that's an amazing setup. Audio interface headphone outputs generally suck, but the DAC outs are clean and decent, and audio mixer headphone outs are usually great and have endless power.

Hoping to get a Bitfrost some day with a nice amp.

Feb 19, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #12,739 of 12,748
Sorry for thread hijacking. :) I'm considering a closed back complement to the LCD-X. It seems that LCD-XC is a much brighter headphone, while LCD-2 Closed more closely matches the frequency response of the LCD-X on Crinacle: https://crinacle.com/graphs/headpho...CD-X_(2021),LCD-2_Closed_Back&bass=5&tool=711

Does anyone know if LCD-2 Closed is a worthy complement? It's not like substantially less resolving or something?
Lcd2cb is definitely a good pairing. It still sounds wide for a closedback and it's like getting a warm hug with a hint of treble spice. Definitely give them a try on a tube amp if you can.

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #12,740 of 12,748
Damn, last night I was using my LCD-X in bed. When I was going to sleep I put them down on the bed next to my pillow. When I woke up a couple of hours later and put them on, the right side was dead :frowning2:. I swapped cables and confirmed it's the right side and not the cable or source.

So until I can get some money they will end up sitting on the shelf and use IEM's instead.

Feb 22, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #12,741 of 12,748
Damn, last night I was using my LCD-X in bed. When I was going to sleep I put them down on the bed next to my pillow. When I woke up a couple of hours later and put them on, the right side was dead :frowning2:. I swapped cables and confirmed it's the right side and not the cable or source.

So until I can get some money they will end up sitting on the shelf and use IEM's instead.
Contact Audeze they maybe able to help you out.

Feb 23, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #12,742 of 12,748
Contact Audeze they maybe able to help you out.
From what I've been able to find out it's ~$600 to repair as they replace both sides (need matched pair). The swap includes new ear pads which sucks as I just replaced mine a couple of months ago.

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #12,743 of 12,748
From what I've been able to find out it's ~$600 to repair as they replace both sides (need matched pair). The swap includes new ear pads which sucks as I just replaced mine a couple of months ago.
We can attempt to reuse the pads, in which case it will knock off the cost of the pads from the repair. Not guaranteed but mention it, and as its only been a few months it should be likely.

Also, if you're inside 3 years of ownership (assuming it was bought new or if it was manufactured less than 3 years ago), you still have driver warranty.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Feb 23, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #12,744 of 12,748
We can attempt to reuse the pads, in which case it will knock off the cost of the pads from the repair. Not guaranteed but mention it, and as its only been a few months it should be likely.

Also, if you're inside 3 years of ownership (assuming it was bought new or if it was manufactured less than 3 years ago), you still have driver warranty.
You should give at least 5years of drivers warranty for 1k$+ headphones

Feb 23, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #12,745 of 12,748

The headphones are more than 3 years old.

Right now they are on the self until I can sell some gear to cover the repair cost.

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #12,746 of 12,748
Hey Guys, I may have an opportunity to trade my ZMF Auteur for the 2021 LCD-X. I need to dive into this thread to learn all about it. I liked the LCD-4 that I tried (except the weight), so if it’s in that ballpark, I’d be happy.

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #12,747 of 12,748
can someone point me to some good bass boost eq paramterers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back