Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Jul 23, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #5,671 of 6,785
Considering how poorly some hip hop records are mastered, I would think something darker with good bass quality and extension, like the Soli P, would be better for hip hop than the Abyss. I found the Abyss to have a lot of bass quantity, but it didn't express the difference between bass notes as well because it is so bombastic that it can't be nuanced in the bass at the same time. Even the Susvara was better with bass quality, here's an example I wrote about a long time ago that you can try yourself.
I’m super into hip-hop. I found the Solitare P lacking in subass, at least compared to the TCs. The Susvaras also don’t have the same quantity of subass as the TCs. With modern hip-hop, subass is much more important than midbass. Also, different bass notes aren’t used as much with modern production, for whatever reason. Hip-hop sounds the best when a subwoofer is present, and only the TCs give that subwoofer sound in a pair of headphones (maybe the th900mk2 comes close). The TC earcups need to be toed out to achieve the subwoofer effect. When they aren’t toed out, you don’t get it (or at least not as much). If you pull the Susvaras away from your ears, you get that TC sub bass quantity, with perhaps better quality too. So, I get what you mean, but it’s just not feasible to listen to the Susvaras while holding the earcups out for any extended period of time.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #5,672 of 6,785
Reassess after 200-300 hours

Ok. This stupid thing beefed up! It's tightened up now and punchy! Or, i'm just adjusting to it.

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #5,673 of 6,785
Ok. This stupid thing beefed up! It's tightened up now and punchy! Or, i'm just adjusting to it.

R2R takes 200-300 hours to burn in at least. The way you’ve described it up till now is typical of R2R that hasn’t opened up yet. It will be all over the place until it does. I would run it a couple of weeks straight (leave it going 24/7) before making any judgements on it.

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:11 AM Post #5,674 of 6,785
R2R takes 200-300 hours to burn in at least. The way you’ve described it up till now is typical of R2R that hasn’t opened up yet. It will be all over the place until it does. I would run it a couple of weeks straight (leave it going 24/7) before making any judgements on it.
And what if you bought used?

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #5,675 of 6,785
And what if you bought used?

He didn’t. It’s a new Gustard R26, he’s one of the first owners as it was just released.

200-300 is just a rule of thumb for R2R in general. Denafrips for example burns their DACs in for 100 hours before leaving the factory, so you do an additional 100-200 hours when you receive it.

I doubt Gustard is doing any burn in at the factory before shipping so that’s why I threw out 200-300 hours

If you are buying an R2R DAC 2nd hand it should be burned in already unless it’s an open box or very low hours which the seller typically states.

Jul 24, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #5,677 of 6,785
Interesting. Thank you. I enjoy my headphones out if a solid state amp though there is a lot to be said about tubes. It’s a fair call at this level re: personal preference and synergy. I also give the nod to the LCD5 for technical superiority however subtle. And I usually reach for it first. Grown to be satisfied with the stock cable that isn’t cheap either to replace.

I use my Utopia with a danacable lazuli reference plus which closes the gap a tad

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #5,678 of 6,785
First time watching this reviewer. A bit over the top but I can sense the enthusiasm. Tigers though?? Very strange.

Anyways, i'd have to disagree on the the $25k chain. I have endgame with my mediocre mid-fi setup.
Endgame is endgame. You should be proud of reaching that level and “only” spending mid-fi money 😉

Jul 25, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #5,679 of 6,785
Interesting. Thank you. I enjoy my headphones out if a solid state amp though there is a lot to be said about tubes. It’s a fair call at this level re: personal preference and synergy. I also give the nod to the LCD5 for technical superiority however subtle. And I usually reach for it first. Grown to be satisfied with the stock cable that isn’t cheap either to replace.

I use my Utopia with a danacable lazuli reference plus which closes the gap a tad

Thanks @Tanalasta it was a fun comparison!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 2, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #5,680 of 6,785
Had a chance to listen to these at Pacific Audio Fest along side the MM-500.

Build quality seemed solid. I appreciate the slightly understated aesthetic and the design of the grills. I was actually able to listen to two units. One had the newer headband and the other had the older clampy one. The clampy one wasn't too bad but I could see if being a bit of an issue over a long listening session. The newer headband was actually a bit too loose for my taste. I spent some time adjusting but didn't find a setting that alleviated the sense that the cups might move around on my head during normal use. One of the audeze guys said that the headband may have stretched out due to heavy use at shows. I don't think carbon fiber stretched, though?

Otherwise, it was quite comfortable. I was a bit worried that the angled earpads would touch my ears but that did not seem to be the case.

The LCD-5 seemed mid forward, neutral, and relatively intimate in its presentation. The music was well separated and the details were easily accessible without being thrust forward.

Overall, enjoyed it quite a bit.

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #5,681 of 6,785
The CRBN's made its way in for an Audeze flagship clash

IMG_1286.jpg
IMG_1289.jpg

Aug 9, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #5,683 of 6,785
What a beautiful headphone stand!
Yeah, it's unfortunate that I came across these Silverstone EBA01 stands right after they were made EOL because of poor sales. Now I share photos and people want to buy them! Silverstone has no plans to bring them back into production so if you see them on Amazon etc then this would be a great buy at the discontinued price (~$50ish) for the thick CNC-machined and chamfered aluminium construction in silver or black finishes.

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #5,684 of 6,785
Anyone know of another headphone that has forward midrange other than LCD5? Maybe not as forward? TC, Solitaire P, Susvara mid range is more recessed. Trying to find something that does well for 90s hip hop. LCD5 sounded good but found the mid range to be too forward. Too much energy and not as balanced as I would have liked. I did not want to EQ due to my specific setup.

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #5,685 of 6,785
Anyone know of another headphone that has forward midrange other than LCD5? Maybe not as forward? TC, Solitaire P, Susvara mid range is more recessed. Trying to find something that does well for 90s hip hop. LCD5 sounded good but found the mid range to be too forward. Too much energy and not as balanced as I would have liked. I did not want to EQ due to my specific setup.
You might like the LCD-4, it's quite intoxicating though more laid back and less detailed than the 5. Which may be exactly what you're looking for...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back