Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Jul 21, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #5,641 of 6,820
Absolutely! And I am thinking of those for whom tweaking, tinkering, experimenting with frequent gear-swapping--not to forget discussing audio gear 24/7 on head-fi and elsewhere--are indispensably linked with the enjoyment of the music. I have a feeling that some would grow positively miserable if they were ever restricted to just listening and doing nothing else. That's not necessarily my style but certain head-fi "frequent flyers" seem to share that profile and personally, I say mo powa to them :relaxed: :relaxed: :relaxed: :

I know I would positively be miserable if restricted from the constant arguing with my charmed Head-Fi'ers. :smile:

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #5,642 of 6,820
Build, very nice... especially the front rounded edges. Thinner than the X26P. Similar in weight. Both are chonks and dense. Menu is tiny AF. I sit about 5-6 feet away and it's impossible to read, but the volume is nice and big if I could use it. No volume control in NOS or DSD mode, which sucks. Have to resort to Roon volume via HQP. No manual in the box or online. Someone posted a link to the Chinese one, but I can't read it. Emailed Gustard and they sent it over in English and confirmed fuse is the same size. To be clear, I didn't have a need for another DAC. This just launched and was perfect timing as I was curious about R2R and because @shwnwllms had me try DSD upsampling on the X26P where I discovered a hiss issue with my unit. So, Gustard has offered to repair even though I am the second owner. I needed another one to use in the meantime because I couldn't take being without it. Thankfully, the original owner had a PO and sent to me. Great support from Gustard so far even though the inconvenience. So, i'll be mailing it off soon.

Sound... still early days. Initial stock for stock impressions are the mid forwardness was less harsh with the R26 than X26P on the LCD5 for me. Like stated earlier, it sounded pretty dang good tonally with the Oor/Hypsos vanilla if that's your jam. But, not the magic I have been having with the X26P and my setup. Goal was to either replicate or improve on that sound.

So far, at least they don't sound the same out the box. As in the carryover of my preset didn't give me an identical experience.

Conclusions so far are that it's pretty soft, kinda diffused and airy sounding in comparison. Not the same solidity in bass note fullness, rounded. Like a sponge instead of a brick. Like how i've read R2R is like unless I remembered wrong.

Over the last couple days and hours, I think I finally found the magic i'm after. I had to dial in more bass and tighten the Q value in comparison due to the softness. I was worried for a sec. that it was too spread out sounding to offer any impact, but I think I got it under control now. This is notable in that presets aren't going to work for everyone's differing chains.

Don't worry, i've got plenty of ridiculous additions to my playlist now.

So, if you haven't already got me on ignore or stopped reading... now time for some more psycho crazy talk that you can skip.

I purposely left the stock fuse in throughout the whole first couple days tweaking and just an hour ago swapped the SR Purple from X26P. Everything is more as I remember and in line perfectly now. Placebo maybe but it seems like the air region was subtly different before it was in.

Conclusion, I was able to find the sound I want with the minor benefit of the very minor separation/stage benefits so it's a keeper.

Testing methodology is with repeatable frisson inducing passages. So I test not only tonal balance but maximum frisson. Tightness of bass and everything plays a role here for perfect synergy.

Thanks for detailed comparison! "Sudden" move from Gustard to produce R2R kind of surprise me.

Generally that's what I feel about R2R too, kind of softer in impact/bite, with more rounded edges, that may good/bad depend on the system.

Jul 21, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #5,643 of 6,820
Do I go with the orange or purple for maximum addictive euphoric frisson?
My best chance at addictive euphoric frisson is listening to Dua Lipa and replaying her pole dance GIF in my head.

Jul 21, 2022 at 11:32 PM Post #5,644 of 6,820
My best chance at addictive euphoric frisson is listening to Dua Lipa and replaying her pole dance GIF in my head.

You've never ever felt it either? :triportsad: Seems like i'm the only one here.

Frisson may have a large correlation with the amount of bass I use too. I don't get it with the other presets out there. Or, I haven't tried hard enough to get there with others. I like thunderous bass with fuller upper bass, low mids and a club/rave/concert type of sound.

A few tracks I test with if anyone cares to try...
If you know these types of parts, you can try to find them in any other tracks/music.

Charli XCX - Move Me (When she says "Move Me" @:32 and on and increasing :42-:57
Charli XCX - Every Rule (Minimal throughout and intensifies @:40-1:22)
Carlie Hanson - Good Enough (@:34 more intense @2:48)
Camila Caballo - In the Dark (minimal starting @:38, then @:53, @:59 intensifying @2:46)
Carlie Hanson - Side Effects (@:33-46 and gets more intense @2:37-2:42)
Olivia Rodrigo - Drivers License (Beginning at @54, intensifies @2:24 and on)
Olivia Rodrigo - Deja Vu (Posted this before, beginning with @:52 when she says "tell her" and through anytime she says "you" in the chorus but the area between 1:55-2:05 is difficult to feel unless the synergy is just right for me. If not, I adjust).

Update on R26, i've found the double low shelf works better with it. The X26P/delta sigma has more grip/attack at least in the bass with a less spread out feeling. Double low just tightens it up and can present as full of a sound too. To me the first shelf helps with punch. The second shelf for fullness and to loosen or tighten up bass notes.
If your R2R is anything like the R26, then I recommend the double low like @shwnwllms said he liked.

Mostly bass differences.

X26P:
Low shelf 3.3db 80Hz
High shelf 0.5db 10,000kHz 1.4Q

R26:
Low shelf 1.7db 45Hz 0.71Q
Low shelf 6.0db 100Hz 0.71Q
High shelf 0.3db 10,000kHz 1.41Q

Just wasted another night. Absolutely incredible right now. :L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #5,645 of 6,820
You've never ever felt it either? :triportsad: Seems like i'm the only one here.
Haha jokes aside, I have had goosebumps-inducing moments in my audio listening-both with LCD5 and Susvara (and other TOTL IEMs back when I was more in the portable world).

These moments tend to occur more when I am listening in a dark room, blocking out external stimuli and trying to immerse myself in the musical experience. Higher chance maybe after a few brewskis as well:beerchug:

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #5,646 of 6,820
Haha jokes aside, I have had goosebumps-inducing moments in my audio listening-both with LCD5 and Susvara (and other TOTL IEMs back when I was more in the portable world).

These moments tend to occur more when I am listening in a dark room, blocking out external stimuli and trying to immerse myself in the musical experience. Higher chance maybe after a few brewskis as well:beerchug:

Ok. So you know what i'm talking about. With what i'm hearing it's crazy when I get it unexpectedly just browsing and it interrupts what I am reading or typing. I don't have to close my eyes and concentrate to feel it now. This setup is just getting me anytime in those areas.

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #5,647 of 6,820

I have yet to have the "goosebumps" with my susvara, even though it sounds absolutely incredible.

Now the LCD-5 and LCD-R, I have gotten chills on those cans several times. I play those same songs on my susvara, and nothing.

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #5,648 of 6,820
I have yet to have the "goosebumps" with my susvara, even though it sounds absolutely incredible.

Now the LCD-5 and LCD-R, I have gotten chills on those cans several times. I play those same songs on my susvara, and nothing.
Honestly I was ready to sell Susvara but the Wavelight DAC changed everything for me. WL inserted all that energy and dynamics that I felt Sus was missing from Spring 3. Hell, I am not really into classical or piano-tracks but that’s where I was getting the “chills” from most recently. Gotta love when a HP helps you explore more genres and artists.

Jul 22, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #5,649 of 6,820
Gotta love when a HP helps you explore more genres and artists.

Speaking of.. I now have 8 Charli XCX tracks in my top 10 vocals playlist lol. New favorite artist. I didn't know I loved her sonics so much.

Jul 22, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #5,651 of 6,820
While we have consulted Bob Katz and Gary Cole for feedback before, this is the first time they are involved in creating the presets.

A
While we have consulted Bob Katz and Gary Cole for feedback before, this is the first time they are involved in creating the presets.

Any idea which headphone Bob prefers after applying his EQ? CRBN or LCD5?

Jul 22, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #5,654 of 6,820
Honestly I was ready to sell Susvara but the Wavelight DAC changed everything for me. WL inserted all that energy and dynamics that I felt Sus was missing from Spring 3. Hell, I am not really into classical or piano-tracks but that’s where I was getting the “chills” from most recently. Gotta love when a HP helps you explore more genres and artists.
I don't think the DAC is the issue, since the LCD-5 is able to bring things to the forefront that the susvara isn't able to do. So there's no missing data, just missing capability. Also, by switching to the NC400 mono block, I was able to pull out a lot more detail and dynamics from the susvara, just still not as much as what the LCD-5 can naturally do.

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #5,655 of 6,820
Ok. So you know what i'm talking about. With what i'm hearing it's crazy when I get it unexpectedly just browsing and it interrupts what I am reading or typing. I don't have to close my eyes and concentrate to feel it now. This setup is just getting me anytime in those areas.
I had exactly that last night. My daughter had visited and suggested a group to listen too. A 60’s British Indy folk group called Pentangle. I had trouble sleeping last night due to having a cold so was listening to Pentangle and all of a sudden a track came on, Tam Lin, which really made me catch my breath. The headphones and room just disappeared and the singer was stood a few feet in front of me. Total realism to the extent it actually frightened me in to thinking someone was in the room with me. It wasn’t like the normal sound stage effect it actually felt so real.
It is truly amazing when it happens and must be a combination of the music, environment and mental state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back