Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Jul 17, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #5,611 of 6,831
On a side note, does Audeze ship the less clampy headband upon request? I contacted customer service and they said they would ship it in a month. Been about two months and haven't heard anything from them.

Definitely should have followed up at the month time. Unless something has changed, they did for me.
To add to that, maybe someone is dropping the ball there. I just remembered I requested my frequency graph a few months back and they told me it's on another server and only had access once a week and would get it to me, but I never saw it. Not that I really needed it.

Jul 17, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #5,613 of 6,831
Waiting on supplier, Filleri.

As with all things, getting certain parts in these days can take forever.

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #5,614 of 6,831
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

Back to stock Mictcho, there was just too much tradeoff with the recessed mids for my liking. It is really hard to improve upon this sound.

Jul 18, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #5,616 of 6,831
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"

Back to stock Mictcho, there was just too much tradeoff with the recessed mids for my liking. It is really hard to improve upon this sound.

I agree but still more bass for me. I spent all Sunday morning just going back and forth a .1 dB or q here and there and came up with a slight change but always still generally the same where it could be the time of day or mood change affecting my perception. So, I have to assess over multiple sessions and different days to come to a conclusion moving forward with any changes. But, the fact remains.. it sounds so good I have to force myself to not put these on. I have to decide every night now if I should catch up on some TV or spend the rest of the night with them glued to my head.

Maybe you just need that slight brightness I read a silver cable can give you.

Do you use any power conditioners or aftermarket cables?

Jul 18, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #5,617 of 6,831

It’s more than a silver cable can fix. Going back and forth between stock Mitchco and a bass shelf, I notice recessed mids and an overall loss of resolution, clarity and detail. I might try taking down the bass boost or cutting out one of the low shelves but I think the magic is gone with Mitchco when you try to add anything on top of it. It starts to sound the same as the rest of the EQs out there.

Furman Elite-15 PFi power conditioner with Wireworld interconnects throughout.

Jul 18, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #5,618 of 6,831
I agree but still more bass for me. I spent all Sunday morning just going back and forth a .1 dB or q here and there and came up with a slight change but always still generally the same where it could be the time of day or mood change affecting my perception. So, I have to assess over multiple sessions and different days to come to a conclusion moving forward with any changes. But, the fact remains.. it sounds so good I have to force myself to not put these on. I have to decide every night now if I should catch up on some TV or spend the rest of the night with them glued to my head.

The more I listen to Mitchco there is more to it that just the bass that needs improvement for me. I'm giving the Audeze presets another go, both are quite nice actually. Either seems to have the energy in the mids to upper mids that seemed somewhat flat in Mitchco. To me this is exacerbated when adding a low shelf. The Audeze presets while not a Harman curve, track it more closely than any adjustments I am going to add to Mitchco. The linear preset has the addition of better imaging and transparency so that's what I am sticking with for not but both have their place.

Jul 18, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #5,619 of 6,831
I like the linear Audeze preset, it gives a slight bass boost without becoming too noticeable. It doesn't take away anything that I like with the stock tuning, it just makes it sound a bit more cohesive across the frequency range.

Jul 18, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #5,620 of 6,831
I like the linear Audeze preset, it gives a slight bass boost without becoming too noticeable. It doesn't take away anything that I like with the stock tuning, it just makes it sound a bit more cohesive across the frequency range.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. I think I was determined to tweak Mitchco to my liking because of the $200 I dropped on it (a week or two before the official Audeze presets were released), but comparing the two again after spending some time with both the Audeze Linear preset wins out.

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #5,621 of 6,831
Can someone please tell me how to use the audeze preset for lcd-5 using roon? I dont see anything for LCD-5, just LCD-4 and lower models. I use the audeze linear for my lcd-x 2021 but i dont see any option for the lcd-5.

Thank you

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #5,622 of 6,831
This pretty much sums it up for me as well. I think I was determined to tweak Mitchco to my liking because of the $200 I dropped on it (a week or two before the official Audeze presets were released), but comparing the two again after spending some time with both the Audeze Linear preset wins out.
Although I don't use any power anything, i've read some conditioners could color bass. Maybe why no shelf works for you. Sounds like you haven't found the perfect synergy like me.

And, it is still pretty much perfect for me with Mitchco's and my settings. I've found the spot that's difficult to deviate from and nothing is left wanting or missing.

Question, do you or any others feel addictive, euphoric frisson with some songs like I do?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #5,623 of 6,831
Can someone please tell me how to use the audeze preset for lcd-5 using roon? I dont see anything for LCD-5, just LCD-4 and lower models. I use the audeze linear for my lcd-x 2021 but i dont see any option for the lcd-5.

Thank you
They have sent Roon the filters but it's on Roon to add them and release an update. It's likely not too high on their priority list, but Audeze have shared the convolution filters with us on this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-dsp-presets-now-available-in-roon.858730/post-16996246

You can download the ZIP file for the linear preset, add a convolution filter from the Roon DSP and point it to the ZIP file. That thread has more specific instructions, but it's pretty simple and will get the same result the official Roon preset will, once they get around to adding it.

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #5,624 of 6,831
They have sent Roon the filters but it's on Roon to add them and release an update. It's likely not too high on their priority list, but Audeze have shared the convolution filters with us on this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-dsp-presets-now-available-in-roon.858730/post-16996246

You can download the ZIP file for the linear preset, add a convolution filter from the Roon DSP and point it to the ZIP file. That thread has more specific instructions, but it's pretty simple and will get the same result the official Roon preset will, once they get around to adding it.
A thousand thanks good friend. Now its time to do some testing

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #5,625 of 6,831
They have sent Roon the filters but it's on Roon to add them and release an update. It's likely not too high on their priority list,

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath. I just revived a thread on their forums from 2015 about adding the basic ability to select multiple tracks in a playlist and move/rearrange them.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back