Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Aug 21, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #5,701 of 6,787
I liked them initially but sold them soon after I bought them...way too forward and aggressive for me but I know others feel differently
I definitely feel differently...they are fantastic and one of my favourites!

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #5,703 of 6,787
I definitely feel differently...they are fantastic and one of my favourites!
fair enough ,that is why the market provides lots of different HP's!..I have yet to find anything as good as the abyss TC,susvara or the raal sr1a and now the new CA-1a...but I keep trying new offerings to the market

Aug 23, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #5,704 of 6,787
Interesting to see how polarizing LCD-5 is. Some take it same level as Susvara and even able to win in many areas. While some other so disappointed that think $4500 is simply not worth it for this kind of sound.
If you still have both would you mind posting your LCD-5 settings for the RME Eq?

Aug 24, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #5,705 of 6,787
Although I love them a lot, something bugs me and I wish to get your opinion on this matter.

I'm using them with a Hugo TT2 connected to one of the front headphone outputs, with the Hugo set on high gain.

Although many seem to say there is no problem for the Hugo to drive them, my experience is that at high volumes (say -10H, bluish volume, but this ofc depends on the track's volume too) I feel the sound is losing quality: the bass impact is actually decreasing and the mids go a bit crazy (not really distorted, but they really start shouting at you). The overall presentation is not so smooth and dynamic anymore.

Maybe my ears are the problem? Although I need to mention that I didn't have this feeling with the previous pair of Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO which could go to really high volume and keep the bass impact intact.

Did anyone experienced the same problem on a similar configuration? I must say that at normal listening volume, everything sounds perfect, I have absolutely no complain. It's only at high volume when things are not ideal.

Aug 24, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #5,706 of 6,787
Although I love them a lot, something bugs me and I wish to get your opinion on this matter.

I'm using them with a Hugo TT2 connected to one of the front headphone outputs, with the Hugo set on high gain.

Although many seem to say there is no problem for the Hugo to drive them, my experience is that at high volumes (say -10H, bluish volume, but this ofc depends on the track's volume too) I feel the sound is losing quality: the bass impact is actually decreasing and the mids go a bit crazy (not really distorted, but they really start shouting at you). The overall presentation is not so smooth and dynamic anymore.

Maybe my ears are the problem? Although I need to mention that I didn't have this feeling with the previous pair of Beyerdynamics DT 990 PRO which could go to really high volume and keep the bass impact intact.

Did anyone experienced the same problem on a similar configuration? I must say that at normal listening volume, everything sounds perfect, I have absolutely no complain. It's only at high volume when things are not ideal.

Yes, I described the same much earlier here. I attribute it to the ear shape. But, instead of spending time rotating headphones or tons of gear, I used a combination of eq and gear to make magic.

Aug 24, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #5,707 of 6,787
Thanks for reaffirming that. I am really glad I never went the down the Sus rabbit hole only to become disappointed while chasing an elusive, multi-kilobuck stack just for better bass. The bass can be so thick and throbbing on the 5's that I got all the bass I could need for days. I actually dialed back my typical bass shelf the other night. I don't know if it was just the me or the bass was getting better with the recent changes.
Do you know where to find a good setting for Eq for the RME? I already set a bass shelf at 85
With the right EQ, the LCD-5 to my ears has a lot more slam, impact and overall engagement than the LCD-4. I can listen to the 5 for hours with much less fatigue and at louder volumes too. The 4 now seems a bit more laid back, and it always had a bit of a recessed character; the 5 is neither.

I'll admit though that the 5 really shines its best with EQ. Resolve's EQ is great, though right now Chrono's is my favorite. But if you're a bass head, a little bass shelf will show just how good the LCD-5 bass is.

I can't say I miss the 4 at all.

Aug 24, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #5,708 of 6,787
Do you know where to find a good setting for Eq for the RME? I already set a bass shelf at 85
1661359432151.png

Aug 24, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #5,709 of 6,787
This was published by Chrono and I am using it on the RME. It’s fine for me though I play around bumping up the bass shelf gain to 5.5. I just use this as a start and with the RME it’s easy to change things around easily to your taste.
The LCD-5 seems capable to pull in a lot of bass without distortion or clipping. Enjoy.
I also pulled out the Peak at 8000 as it didn’t sound right in that position.

• Low Shelf at 85hz, +4dB Q of 0.7
  • Peak at 3000hz, -3dB Q of 3
  • Peak at 5500hz, -2.5dB Q of 4
  • High Shelf at 6000hz, +4dB Q of 0.7
  • Peak at 8000hz, +1dB Q of 2

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #5,710 of 6,787
Excellent video and wonderful review as usual brother. Please keep up the good work.

As for your comparison, I agree with your LCD-5 sound impressions. Its such a technical headphone and yet, its musical nontheless. I also agree that certain tones in the LCD-5, mainly the mids and mid bass is tuned differently than previous Audeze cans. So the LCD-5 may not be for everyone. I also own a LCD-X 2021 and I prefer certain upper/upper mid frequencies on the LCD-X but the 5 does everything else much much better. I use both Audeze cans everyday and they each have their strength in certain categories.

I think your video is a wonderful tribute to the LCD-5 and its technical abilities while also praising the capabilities of the MM500 at such a cheaper price point. Thank you for your hard work.
Thank you brother!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 25, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #5,711 of 6,787
LCD-5 with EQ is superb. . They seems to handle all frequencies well and it just suck in as much bass with well defined zero distortion output. Bass shelf is a must for me and than run as desired. Just my opinion. I started EQ on Roon and then picked up and RME-ADI Pro which I am running in balanced mode.

The LCD-5 never comes close to requiring high power mode and I have heard them defined as a chameleon which I feel is quite appropriate.
Great review. Extremely enjoyable!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #5,713 of 6,787
They take EQ extremely well which changed their sound character. You can up the gain of the bass and sub-bass with no distortion or roll-off. Much deeper-sounding bass, No bloat though. Went from a bit lean to mean IMO. I listen about 3 hours a day with no fatigue.
Some headphones sound artificial to me when I add EQ but I started adding bass gain & lowered the mids a drop & added gain on the higher frequencies. The 5's changed to a much fuller more "Audeze house" -like sound. The changes sound organic. If you have Roon give it a try.
I specifically bought a decent quality DAC/Amp with PEQ and I find them more enjoyable as opposed to their very neutral sound out of the box. . I am using Chrono's posted EQ settings but upped the bass a couple of dB, but Resolve also posted. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #5,714 of 6,787
They take EQ extremely well which changed their sound character. You can up the gain of the bass and sub-bass with no distortion or roll-off. Much deeper-sounding bass, No bloat though. Went from a bit lean to mean IMO. I listen about 3 hours a day with no fatigue.
Some headphones sound artificial to me when I add EQ but I started adding bass gain & lowered the mids a drop & added gain on the higher frequencies. The 5's changed to a much fuller more "Audeze house" -like sound. The changes sound organic. If you have Roon give it a try.
I specifically bought a decent quality DAC/Amp with PEQ and I find them more enjoyable as opposed to their very neutral sound out of the box. . I am using Chrono's posted EQ settings but upped the bass a couple of dB, but Resolve also posted. I upped the bass a couple of ef extra dB. Just my opinion.
Thank you elaborating! I'll give your EQ a shot. I actually have 2 or 3 profiles in Roon I switch between for the LCD-5 depending on my mood and variety for the sake of variety.

Aug 26, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #5,715 of 6,787

Users who are viewing this thread

Back