Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Aug 26, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #5,717 of 6,785
Any idea how I can convert this into 5 bands The top and bottom being shelves.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/spywjz/oratory1990s_list_of_eq_presets_update_11022022/

Screenshot 2022-08-26 193212.png

Aug 26, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #5,718 of 6,785
////
I don't see that in the pdf but using the manual it appears the Bass and Treble give you a default lo shelf at 85 and Hi shelf at 6500. And from what I understand you are saying I can use the 5 bands in between for peaks, dips, or cuts. It's great because the LCD-5 more than any of the Focal or Hifiman I have used really takes EQ incredibly well- I appreciate your input. I didn't realize I could use two bass and treble shelf. It's not as intuitive as I thought.

Aug 27, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #5,720 of 6,785
The setting on the RME adi 2 , only shown Shelf , Peak, Hi Cut etc .. .
How should i set for Low Shelf and High shelf ?
Rtfm, it's the best manual for an audio product out there.

Aug 27, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #5,722 of 6,785
Do you know what the [BW] settings are in the Dropbox listing of the Oratory EQ? I don't see any such parameters to set in Roon.

Thank you.

1661616537003.png

Someone can can correct me if wrong but my understanding is it's the same and you just use one or the other, not both.

From Oratory1990's Reddit:

What do these values mean? Gain, F, Q, BW/S?​

Frequency - The center frequency at which the filter band is active. A peak filter will also affect frequencies directly adjacent, depending on the shape of the filter.
Gain - by how much the affected area is boosted or reduced.
Quality (Q) - Is a mathematical way of describing the shape of the filter. High q-values mean that the filter only affects a very narrow band. Low q-values mean that many frequencies above and below the center frequency are also affected by the filter.
Bandwidth BW / Slope S - Is the same as Q, but expressed in a different way. Some parametric EQ's let you adjust a Q-value, others let you adjust a Bandwidth-value. They both describe the same thing, just expressed in different ways. High Bandwidth = low Q, Low Bandwidth = high Q.
To make matters worse there is a third way of describing filter shape: Slope S. This is only applicable to Shelving-Filters though.

Aug 29, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #5,724 of 6,785
Thinking about trading my Lcd-5 for a stealth. What do you guys think? Upgrade or side grade?

Any help/suggestion would be helpful. Thank you

Aug 29, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #5,725 of 6,785
Thinking about trading my Lcd-5 for a stealth. What do you guys think? Upgrade or side grade?

Any help/suggestion would be helpful. Thank you
How can it be compared? It's closed back vs open back. The stealth will be more balanced sounding, but less detailed and less dynamic. The stealth is very soft sounding.

It all depends on what you need.

Aug 29, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #5,726 of 6,785
How can it be compared? It's closed back vs open back. The stealth will be more balanced sounding, but less detailed and less dynamic. The stealth is very soft sounding.

It all depends on what you need.
I would like to try something new. I have open back Planar like hekse. I also own closed backs like vc and Sony z1r. My biggest gripe with the lcd5 is that I need to eq to make it sound to my taste. That's it. With eq it sounds phenomenal. Whereas, my other planars don't need eq. The hekse sounds amazing right out of the box. I have always been curious about the stealth but I have only heard mixed reviews. I am just afraid that I might be downgrading regarding sound quality but I do love the idea of owning a closed back Planar.

Aug 29, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #5,727 of 6,785
I would like to try something new. I have open back Planar like hekse. I also own closed backs like vc and Sony z1r. My biggest gripe with the lcd5 is that I need to eq to make it sound to my taste. That's it. With eq it sounds phenomenal. Whereas, my other planars don't need eq. The hekse sounds amazing right out of the box. I have always been curious about the stealth but I have only heard mixed reviews. I am just afraid that I might be downgrading regarding sound quality but I do love the idea of owning a closed back Planar.
There's no need to rush a decision, just spend a week or two more with the LCD-5 and HEKSE. See which can you grab more often, and sell the other.

Aug 29, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #5,728 of 6,785
There's no need to rush a decision, just spend a week or two more with the LCD-5 and HEKSE. See which can you grab more often, and sell the other.
The only rush is I am currently exchanging messages with a fellow head fi member and we both would love to trade pur headphone. My only reservation is the SQ. I love the sound of the lcd5. It's just something is off with the vocals and mids that I like to eq. But I am leaning more toward keeping my hekse and trading the lcd5 for the stealth.

Aug 30, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #5,729 of 6,785
Just joined the LCD-5 club. The first things that jumped out at me, besides the seductive mids, is the incredible holographic imaging. Instruments feel so tangible. I'm just having so much fun with them now!

Aug 30, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #5,730 of 6,785
Just joined the LCD-5 club. The first things that jumped out at me, besides the seductive mids, is the incredible holographic imaging. Instruments feel so tangible. I'm just having so much fun with them now!
That's my favorite thing about them! Well, that and the vocal reproduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back