Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Feb 16, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #4,426 of 6,785
The places on the Rean Mini-XLR plug that I mean, are not glued.
Therefore, you can easily treat them with contact care.

20220216_135115.jpg

20220216_140555.jpg

I know these connectors pretty well,
as I build these cables almost every day...

My B&W Signature cable for Audeze HP
Screenshot_20210411-143959_eBay Kleinanzeigen.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #4,427 of 6,785
The places on the Rean Mini-XLR plug that I mean, are not glued.
Therefore, you can easily treat them with contact care.

20220216_135115.jpg
20220216_140555.jpg

I know these connectors pretty well,
as I build these cables almost every day...

Screenshot_20210411-143959_eBay Kleinanzeigen.jpg
Lubrication has a way of migrating, so keep that in mind.

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #4,428 of 6,785
You're not supposed to bathe the plug in it.
But if you still really want to dip the plug in it: DeoxIT Gold is free of solvents.
The stuff doesn't attack glue.

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #4,429 of 6,785
I had a demo pair for a week and the connectors were pretty tight. But unless you’re swapping cables all the time you should be ok. The Cardas cable I used wasn’t as tight. I think it is the combination of how the connection point is glued and tight fit of stock cable. It’s not like they are just falling out, but agreed it should not be an issue on a flagship product. But my personal experience with Audeze on warranty work has been exceptional. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this headphone because of this issue.

Feb 16, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #4,431 of 6,785
I did try some basic EQ with the LCD5 but not Resolve’s or some of the others. I don’t EQ much as I prefer to have a variety of headphones for different sound signatures. I just strongly preferred the CRBN over the LCD5. I’m not one to want one headphone for everything. I listen to a wide variety of music and like to have headphones for each genre.

Feb 16, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #4,432 of 6,785
I did try some basic EQ with the LCD5 but not Resolve’s or some of the others. I don’t EQ much as I prefer to have a variety of headphones for different sound signatures. I just strongly preferred the CRBN over the LCD5. I’m not one to want one headphone for everything. I listen to a wide variety of music and like to have headphones for each genre.
What genre for the LCD-5?

Feb 16, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #4,433 of 6,785
I didn't care for the LCD-5. But if anything it would have been classic rock or 80's pop. But for me the Shangra la jr fits that bill and I preferred it over the 5.

Feb 16, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #4,434 of 6,785
I got the replacement headband today, and also was an idiot initially who couldn't figure out why this discrepancy was going on (old headband on the left, new on the right):

IMG_5289.jpg

In my infinite wisdom, I somehow failed to see the setscrew in there, and thought it was an actual physical insert that was somehow missing in the new headband making it slide up and down easily over the LCD-5 yoke rods. Thankfully common sense returned and things proceeded smoothly again. Some comparison photos of the two headbands (old on the top, new on the bottom), notice how the new one is ever so slightly wider at the ends:

IMG_5278.jpg
IMG_5282.jpg

This is enough to make for the lower clamp force that adds in comfort relative to the previous one. But now I am sure you are asking whether it affects the actual seal and/or frequency response. So here we go:

graph.png

graph (1).png

graph (2).png

There's a measurement artifact in the right channel with the new headband in he pinna gain region, but generally things are within error margins. I suppose you could look at the graphs and say the bass extension is slightly better withe the higher clamping force on the old headband, but really you are not going to feel that in person. In generaly the new headband is a good improvement for most people, and I agree with Audeze having permanently moved over to the new headband for production.

Feb 16, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #4,435 of 6,785
Also, I know there are photos on this very page, but since my LCD-5 review is still a ways off I wanted to share some more about taking off the cable connectors easily if you are afraid it will affect the glued connectors:

IMG_5263.jpg
IMG_5266.jpg

IMG_5269.jpg
IMG_5270.jpg

It's no solution of course, and really I have yet to experience this issue on my set. If anything, it's the other Audeze single-ended cable that ships with the likes of the LCD-X and LCD-XC that was a tighter fit on the LCD-5 than this premium cable itself. Currently the Audeze solution appears to be simply using stronger glue, which doesn't inspire confidence but may well do the trick.

Feb 16, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #4,437 of 6,785
The permanent solution is to remove the metal strip from the barrel, it is the cause of the tightness between connectors. Without it, the cable is very smooth to pull out but stay well in place in normal use. (I purchased a couple of Rean MiniXLR to keep the original ones in mint state)

IMG-20220116-WA0000.jpg

Feb 16, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #4,438 of 6,785
I got to listen to these today and I’m very confused how this design (pads and pressure) seemed to be the right design choice when they were creating these.

Lightweight is great but I wasn’t one to complain about how heavy the 3 or 4 or X were

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #4,439 of 6,785
I finally put the new headbands on mine yesterday and it does feel tons better. I think my head isn't as big as I've always thought it was since the original wasn't super uncomfortable. At times my ears would hurt over long durations, but nothing immediate.
These new headbands are snug and i feel like the sound stage is a touch wider now. Definitely not a drop in sound quality that I can tell. It could all be in my head, but i love the new fit. Thumbs up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back