Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Feb 12, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #4,396 of 6,792
Anybody got a copy of Crinacle's EQ that they could post? I can't seem to find his online anywhere, and I'd like to add that one to my EQ collection for the 5. So far, my favorite has been a slightly less treble-forward version of Resolve's.

Feb 12, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #4,397 of 6,792
Feb 13, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #4,399 of 6,792
1644793725899.png

Feb 13, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #4,400 of 6,792
Reply from Shankar regarding the issue:

Apologies. Sorry about the issue. We noticed this happened on a few other headphones as well and had the units back for testing. During our initial tests (pull tests etc), we did not see this issue. We have strengthened the connector in units currently shipping and also have started working on more long term solution. Please message me your serial number and out support team will take care you Monday.Once again apologies on the issue you are having - Sankar/Audeze.

Feb 14, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #4,402 of 6,792
I demoed the LCD5 for a week and own the CRBN. The LCD5 was very uncomfortable for me while the CRBN is super comfortable. The pads are really nice and the clamp is much less. For me the pads on the LCD5 were the problem. The point of contact was so thin around the edge it caused a lot of pressure. The CRBN has nice thick pads.

Feb 14, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #4,404 of 6,792
The old headband has too much clamp force. With the new one comfort is a lot better!
Dealers seriously need to get new headbands for their test units if they really want to push product. I would imagine half of the people who demo an older headband model will quickly pass on the LCD-5 due to comfort issues.

Feb 14, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #4,405 of 6,792
even with the new headband the 5 is not as comfortable as it should be...

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #4,406 of 6,792
Obviously, everyone's mileage varies and I find the original headband a bit snug, but nothing terrible. But, poor Audeze just can't seem to win in the comfort category. They changed practically everything as compared to LCD-4, and now the headband is an issue. 😅

Feb 14, 2022 at 1:55 PM Post #4,407 of 6,792
Obviously, everyone's mileage varies and I find the original headband a bit snug, but nothing terrible. But, poor Audeze just can't seem to win in the comfort category. They changed practically everything as compared to LCD-4, and now the headband is an issue. 😅
And earcups for some

Feb 14, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #4,408 of 6,792

Personally, I find the tighter headband perfectly comfortable and have no desire to swap it out for the new one. The tighter clamp means that the fit is very secure and the seal is very consistent. As a glasses-wearer and someone who works while listening, I never have to worry about the headphones altering the sound as they shift around on my ears. I don't have to worry about getting them placed just right on my head so as not to produce gaps between the pads and my head. I don't have to worry about them sliding around as I frequently look down at my work or up at my other work. For me, the clamp force solves common problems I have with the fit of headphones, without sacrificing much in the way of comfort. Yes, when I first put them on, I feel the clamp and they aren't the most comfortable headphones I have, but after maybe ten minutes I forget they are even there. Yes, I do have headphones that are more comfortable both initially and over time, but they each sacrifice quite a lot of security of fit to achieve that.

Feb 15, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #4,409 of 6,792
so here is the problem today in HP world for a person like me who loves the latest and greatest......the latest and greatest in the world of HP's is no better than the prevailing champs....I own the LCD-5 and like it but as a new to the market model it is not as good as the abyss TC,susvara or sria or even the solitaire P IMHO....this is not a criticism of the 5 which as I said is a fine HP and an improvement on the 4 at least to me....it seems that HP technology has peaked for the time being and new models are simply different flavors but not revelations....the only possible exception for me might be the sr1a because it is so different....I was hoping to be wowed "relative" to the current TOTL offerings but sadly I havent been

Feb 15, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #4,410 of 6,792
I have been spending a lot of time lately with the LCD-5. And let me start off this all my opinion and I am by no means a professional reviewer, simply an enthusiast.

I have several TOTL headphones, so have a pretty good reference point for where these stand among them. I am also fortunate enough to have 2 great systems in which I can compare them - both of which offer different experiences, much like each of my headphones. Additionally, I have a very average-sized head and have not experienced the comfort issues of others.

Let me start by saying I do not get all the criticism these are getting. They are not perfect, no headphone is. But, it is a highly enjoyable one. It really does scale with what you throw at it. I have fed it directly through the headphone inputs of my DAC's and while respectable, they were not able to provide them with the results I get feeding through a speaker/power amp. Now, this is very subjective, my amps will be very different from others. But with a respectable high-end gear chain, they really produce.

I recently came from the world of 2 channel audio and am relatively new to the Headphone/Headfi world. But I have over the years developed an appreciation for good-sounding gear. Again, subjective, good to me, maybe different than to others. I am in the more resolving camp of listening and haven't really explored tubes. So my experience lies in solid-state. That is not to say I don't appreciate musicality, but I am a stickler for detail.

Coming back to the LCD-5's they resolve incredibly. And for me, they sit right in the middle of the Susvara and 1266 TC's. And this is/was exactly the role I wanted them to play. Excellent bass and sub-bass presence, solid mids. But they need good amplification (which could be said of any headphone really - and good does not always mean power) and a good source (which again could be said of any headphone).

So, I might think that these headphones may show us the cracks in our chain, rather than themselves being faulty or inadequate. I want to spend more time with these to really appreciate them, but the first 2 weeks have been special. It has taken me a year with the Abyss 1266 TC's to really appreciate and tune them to fit my system, so I look to spending time with my LCD-5's and newly arrived Susvara's as well. This should be a practice with all headphones, before passing judgment - take your time. We need to adjust, process and take in the nuance, the newness of sound and appreciate the differences.

Thanks for listening to an old man rant. Appreciate everyone sharing in this and other forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back