Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Feb 10, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #4,381 of 6,820
Such a shame with the LCD-5. As noticed, and mentioned elsewhere, the angle to which the cable hangs off also means it's now touching the shoulders/chest. Would be nice if the successor could improve on this - larger ear cups, maybe even magnesium chassis like the 4z/MX4/GX/24, perhaps headband of the CRBN (I prefer the older style carbon fiber headbands), cable connectors moved forward a little.
The older style leather headbands would stretch a ton, causing the carbon headband to rest on the leather, making a hotspot. I, and many others, had this issue on every single Audeze headphone after a few months. I love the newer headband design, I just wish it had the clamp force of the susvara. I also like the cup size and shape, but I can see how different head / ear sizes would find a lot of discomfort from them.

Feb 10, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #4,382 of 6,820
So the Dragon L2 + LCD5 pairing is a keeper, and ultimately has killed off the DCA Stealth for me. I dabble between a couple of EQ profiles (alternating for more treble or more balance), so I feel the versatility is pretty convenient already.

That being said, what TOTL HP would likely be the best complement for LCD5? The Dragon seems to slow decay with the tube musicality, so I almost wouldn't mind something with more bite...Susvara or 1266? Or should I be considering anything else? From what I've heard, I likely wouldn't be able to drive Susvara too well anyways, and there's not much like the 1266 out there (therefore leaning in that direction).

Eventually I'll work on building out another desktop stack (100% SS, R2R DAC etc) but rather get a second transducer first.

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #4,383 of 6,820
I can press the cups in and don't notice any difference unless it's really hard and the driver is closer to the ear as expected this would change. Just curious, did you a/b the difference with two separate headphones with each different headband, or are you just going off memory after the time to install it?
By memory, after I installed the new headband , I find something is not right, after a few days , I changed back to original and I find the sound is good again.

Feb 11, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #4,386 of 6,820
The brother is here...

Attachments

• IMG_20220211_094730.jpg
    IMG_20220211_094730.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 11, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #4,387 of 6,820
So what's the best type of cable to pair with the LCD-5 according to forum consensus (if there is one) : Silver, copper, or fusion?

Personally I have experimented with Norne Audio's Drausk and Vykari. The presentations differ between the two and their performance creds vary depending on songs, and, sometimes, genres of music. I haven't made up mind about which of the two I like better with LCD-5, but I admit I haven't done any hard shoot-out of the two yet. Still, I am curious as to what forum members think about this choice of cables, if it matters at all, to begin with. Many thanks.

Feb 11, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #4,388 of 6,820
So the Dragon L2 + LCD5 pairing is a keeper, and ultimately has killed off the DCA Stealth for me. I dabble between a couple of EQ profiles (alternating for more treble or more balance), so I feel the versatility is pretty convenient already.

That being said, what TOTL HP would likely be the best complement for LCD5? The Dragon seems to slow decay with the tube musicality, so I almost wouldn't mind something with more bite...Susvara or 1266? Or should I be considering anything else? From what I've heard, I likely wouldn't be able to drive Susvara too well anyways, and there's not much like the 1266 out there (therefore leaning in that direction).

Eventually I'll work on building out another desktop stack (100% SS, R2R DAC etc) but rather get a second transducer first.
Yea what sounds good on the 5 won't sound good on the Stealth/susvara. You are right with the sound of the 5 on the dragon and preferring that. The pro iDSD needs to be high gain on the stealth and susvara which kills blacks and dynamics and I didn't last 10 secs on the stealth with it and was surprised on the low power output. The micro iCan se is not as fast as my phonitor One mod and actually brings it closer to how the 5 sounds on tubes with the Stealth and I know it won't drive the susvara at unity gain. I've enjoyed the Susvara on the Dave, Hugo 2, and Diablo low gain so the trajectory would be pro iCan sig unity gain on balanced. Susvara is great on my phonitor One mod but that may be an inaccessible option to recommend.

Feb 11, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #4,389 of 6,820
So what's the best type of cable to pair with the LCD-5 according to forum consensus (if there is one) : Silver, copper, or fusion?

Personally I have experimented with Norne Audio's Drausk and Vykari. The presentations differ between the two and their performance creds vary depending on songs, and, sometimes, genres of music. I haven't made up mind about which of the two I like better with LCD-5, but I admit I haven't done any hard shoot-out of the two yet. Still, I am curious as to what forum members think about this choice of cables, if it matters at all, to begin with. Many thanks.
I'm using a DHC Complement 3 fusion cable with my set with excellent results. I like it more than the all copper stock cable. There's more bottom end with this cable resulting in a fuller sound.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #4,390 of 6,820
From my experimentation over 15 years with my ears IMHO- pure silver cable with all headphones. Any copper of gold blunts the sound however slightly.

Of course I have not tried every cable out there- but this is my experience. Cables are not the place for tone controls. Cables need to be as transparent as possible. Color can be added in equipment or headphones if desired and according to taste.

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #4,391 of 6,820
Fair enough, but I have had no trouble with Susvara, Utopia, Meze Elite, or even LCD-4. Nor am I the only person to complain about the clamping force and small ear cups.
I totally agree, I auditioned so many other headphones and none of them were this uncomfortable (although there were of course differences in comfort). I also do not have an exceptionally large head. I think for Audeze saying we can't get it right for everyone is understandable but also somehow trying to dodge the problem at hand.

Feb 11, 2022 at 7:58 PM Post #4,392 of 6,820
Finally got the updated (less clamping) headband from Audeze and installed it. It feels…different. I actually got used to the original headband’s pressure, and while the new one is much easier on my skull, it doesn’t feel quite right yet. Fortunately, I have both the old and the new version now, so I can easily switch back if I want to.

Feb 11, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #4,393 of 6,820

We're both using the LCD-5 with the Pathos Inpol Ear. I prefer the LCD-5 with the Double Helix Complement C copper cable vs. the silver/copper hybrid Audeze cable, as I think it smooths out the headphone's midrange forwardness a bit. I have not tried it with a pure silver cable myself.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #4,394 of 6,820
Feb 12, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #4,395 of 6,820

Users who are viewing this thread

Back