Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Feb 10, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #4,366 of 6,820
The new headband for me is affecting the sound , better with original headband , sound more focus and focal more intimate. Cons, pressure make the listening only last 1 hour .
Effectively the same as pushing the headphones against your ears with your hands.

I got used to the old headband but the new one is just that much more comfortable. Agree the sound changes, subtle as they are.

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #4,368 of 6,820
For me is not subtle, it lost focus . I wish the new headband have the same sound quality.
I can press the cups in and don't notice any difference unless it's really hard and the driver is closer to the ear as expected this would change. Just curious, did you a/b the difference with two separate headphones with each different headband, or are you just going off memory after the time to install it?

Feb 10, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #4,369 of 6,820
For me is not subtle, it lost focus . I wish the new headband have the same sound quality.
Do you wear glasses by any chance? Or do your ears significantly press on the inside of the cups?

Feb 10, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #4,370 of 6,820
Why would you have pressure on your ears? Are your ears too big to fit in the cups? Or did you mean on your head? A lot of people found the original headband uncomfortable, but you have the most extreme reaction I've read. If you get a chance to try, the new headband improves it a lot.
I am a big-headed person. I find the LCD-5s excruciating to wear. Audeze was kind enough to send me a the prototype wider headband. Still excruciating. I don't feel the headband helped much at all for a cranially endowed person like myself. I also felt that the earcups were too small.

Feb 10, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #4,371 of 6,820
I am a big-headed person. I find the LCD-5s excruciating to wear. Audeze was kind enough to send me a the prototype wider headband. Still excruciating. I don't feel the headband helped much at all for a cranially endowed person like myself. I also felt that the earcups were too small.
Audeze also supplies longer rods, not sure if that would help. The earcups are pretty small for over ear headphones, so it may be a lost cause regardless :/

Feb 10, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #4,372 of 6,820
Audeze also supplies longer rods, not sure if that would help. The earcups are pretty small for over ear headphones, so it may be a lost cause regardless :/
I had the longer rods. I already sold them, so it's academic. But I agree with the commenter above -- I am perplexed why they didn't do more testing on actual people's heads to test comfort, especially as comfort had always been a complaint about previous LCD iterations. I thought the LCD-5s sounded great and would have loved to have kept them, but the extreme lack of comfort were a deal killer for me.

Feb 10, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #4,373 of 6,820
We can't account for every single person's head in the world. I am a 6'2" person myself with a huge head, and I agree that even the new headband can still be clampy, but after a few days I adjusted, and no longer have any issues with it.

That's just what's gonna happen with headphones. Some are gonna be clampy, some won't be. It's impossible to make everyone happy.

Feb 10, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #4,374 of 6,820
I guess I am thankful for having a rather average head shape/size. I am not suffering from any of the challenges it seems are playing others. While I have only spent a short time with the LCD-5's I couldn't be happier.

Do they have faults? Sure, name a headphone that doesn't. They check a lot of boxes and I feel that the sentiment they are an all-rounder is true for me.

Can't wait to see how they grow as I listen more. Finding with all of these TOTL headphones it takes time to properly evaluate them. In many ways, you have to learn how to appreciate them as each one is very different than the other. You become accustomed to these traits and it can be sometimes jarring when they are no longer present, or when a new set of headphones paints a very different audio picture.

Feb 10, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #4,375 of 6,820
We can't account for every single person's head in the world. I am a 6'2" person myself with a huge head, and I agree that even the new headband can still be clampy, but after a few days I adjusted, and no longer have any issues with it.

That's just what's gonna happen with headphones. Some are gonna be clampy, some won't be. It's impossible to make everyone happy.
Fair enough, but I have had no trouble with Susvara, Utopia, Meze Elite, or even LCD-4. Nor am I the only person to complain about the clamping force and small ear cups.

Feb 10, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #4,377 of 6,820
Fair enough, but I have had no trouble with Susvara, Utopia, Meze Elite, or even LCD-4. Nor am I the only person to complain about the clamping force and small ear cups.
The susvara is the king of comfort IMO; I have issues with comfort on focal headphones but not the LCD-5.

Feb 10, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #4,378 of 6,820
I just received and put on the less clampy LCD-5 headphone from Audeze.

At first, I didn't really notice that much of a difference, as I had become somewhat used to the previous headband. I don't know if it's necessary to break in the headband, or it's really the pads that break in - because they broke in already.

Anyhow, what I noticed which for sure told me it was less clampy was that the weight was spread about 50% with the clamp and 50% on the top of the head as opposed to 100% with the clamp on the previous headband. I didn't feel any weight from the top at all with the previous headband as the pressure was all in the clamp.

I think that in the long run this will be more comfortable. I did notice, too, that where I felt comfortable on the rods was slightly different. Previously it was 4th from the last notch on each cup, now it's 3rd notch, or 3rd notch on one side and 2nd notch on the other. I figured, as others had noted, that the placement on the rods would be exactly the same. Maybe I just found this more comfortable with the slightly different weight distribution.

Lastly, Audeze sends a tiny allen wrench as well. I'm sure this was mentioned before, but you can tighten or loosen how much the headband grabs the yolks. You have to get it just right so that they are adjustable, meaning too loose and they won't stay in place, and too tight, they are locked into a certain position (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). All in all no big deal. I didn't read about this before and haven't adjusted the headbands on other Audeze phones so it may be the same thing. As there wasn't any instruction (it is rather easy), I just thought I'd post in case it helps someone.

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #4,379 of 6,820

The susvara is the king of comfort IMO; I have issues with comfort on focal headphones but not the LCD-5.
Such a shame with the LCD-5. As noticed, and mentioned elsewhere, the angle to which the cable hangs off also means it's now touching the shoulders/chest. Would be nice if the successor could improve on this - larger ear cups, maybe even magnesium chassis like the 4z/MX4/GX/24, perhaps headband of the CRBN (I prefer the older style carbon fiber headbands), cable connectors moved forward a little.

Feb 10, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #4,380 of 6,820
After the clamping issue(now fixed and not a huge problem for me in the first place) I agree that the placement of the connectors is the only other issue I have ergonomically with the LCD-5. I would have preferred the positioning that the LCD-4 had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back