Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Dec 28, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #3,571 of 6,828
Same on Apple Music lossless - although as a former guitar player those may be string sounds, not recording artifacts. Point in case: Czars - Where the Boys Are - same type of "noise" at the beginning and throughout the song. The guitar sounds like the one my guitar teacher in school used to keep around as an emergency instrument for students who were not able to bring their own - I am not very fond of its sonics ...

Although I never heard this track before I think I hear something on Angel Eyes at 3:11-3:12 like a squeezing, high pitched bee buzzing sound and that kinda follows as that string is hit throughout the rest of the song. Same on Amazon HD.

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #3,572 of 6,828
Dec 29, 2021 at 8:36 AM Post #3,573 of 6,828
I received my LCD-5 yesterday and got in a good 5-6 hours on 3 amps:

- Chord Dave Direct
- Enleum 23r
- Woo Wa33 Elite

I have to say I'm really enjoying the headphone. It's got a tonal balance I really enjoy without eq. The clamping is annoying, but after a couple hours listening and on an "Omega" stand, it has lessened a bit (fitting, because initially the tonal balanced reminded me of the 009 due to the upper mid forwardness.) Also, I am getting the reduced clamp headband from Audeze.

While it sounds great on all three amps, the winner - thus far - is ... the Woo Wa33 Elite. You might think this was a foregone conclusion due to the difference in expense, but it's not always the case (I like the LCD 4 with the Enleum). Some headphones do better with Tubes and some do better with solid state. I also thought the low impedance might be an issue, but it's not - or it's helping at least, if it's causing any change in frequency response (the impedance), but I doubt it as it's a purely resistive load. And the Wa33 is of course, transformer coupled.

The Wa33 increases the bass response, thickens up the lower mids, and takes a slight edge off the upper mids - while leaving the treble essentially untouched, to my ears. While it adds some bloom, the bass is not bleeding into the mids at all - and it becomes significantly harder hitting. So I guess I am EQing after all :) - just with tubes. But it's not just the tonal balance on the Wa33 - Music is the smoothest, headstage is the deepest and widest, it's just as fast as the SS amps, and sound is addicting. I think this headphone is a good candidate for tubes despite the impedance, if you want to tweak the tonal balance - but also because tubes naturally do some interesting spatial things. And, with the mids really in your face, the soundstage is a bit intimate without some added tube magic. With it, it becomes near perfect.

Obviously these are initial impressions, and it's going to be dependent on tubes (I'm using KR 2a3s as the Power Tubes, KR 274B as the rectifier, and WE417as as the drivers) - but it's just great out of the Wa33. Really some special synergy.

Next in terms of preference is the Enleum, followed by the Dave. I haven't noticed a loss in transparency with either non-Dave amp (I listened through the Dave for quite a bit first) - but it's probably there a little, but not something that is noticeable. Will listen more and come up with some further judgements.

This headphone doesn't beat out my Abyss TC in experience or enjoyment (or overall for that matter) - but complements it well, but I have to say - the LCD-5 is probably my favorite tonal balance I've heard in a headphone. If the new headband increases comfort - my Susvara might go. I can't see it getting that much head time anymore, but it's still early. Also, I'm keeping the LCD-4. Call me sentimental, but it's different enough, looks fierce, and the best example of what was at least the previous Audeze house sound.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #3,576 of 6,828
Apple Lossless is outstanding. It’s become my favorite way to stream music especially if your an Apple user.
Not using a Mac anymore and it doesn't have exclusive mode + i hate usb into Dave. I also got tired of waiting for Spotify Hi-fi and so I just bought Roon lifetime last week to use with Qobuz. I love it so far and don't see myself switching too soon.

Dec 29, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #3,577 of 6,828
Outta curiosity, what happens when you go back to your Z1R?

I've had the hardest time selling my Z1R because every time I go back and listen to them, I'm like "why would you ever sell this..?" lol. Obviously, they aren't as technically proficient as the LCD-5, but in terms of musicality, there's just something interesting with them.
Well while testing every time i went back to Z1R reaction was " Oh my god, i can feel my head again". They are way more comfortable and the pads a lot plusher. Besides the clamp which is borderline unbearable, the ear cutout is pretty small and i have to be careful how i align them every time or the pads will catch my eartips due to how they are sculpted.

I would never sell them. I enjoy their tuning so much that i don't mind losing some technicalities, Plus the punch they have is great. The LCD-5 get more out of Dave than other stuff i've tested though. I think it's a clear step above the Meze Elite in resolution and transparency, however the Elite aren't that far off, plus also have a very (maybe more?) enjoyable tuning, punchier bass, bigger soundstage (but more diffuse, starting to learn this is always the tradeoff with bigger soundstage ) and the comfort is second to none.
There's also the "Giant vocals " that I'm not sure how i feel about, I love the mids and the soundstage depth is great, but it's almost as weird as the veil that the Elite have.

I'll have to do a longer A/B audition in the summer before i pull the trigger on one of them. Hopefully the larger headband will be stock ,or at least available. I'd also be curious to hear some D8k Pro or T+A Solitaire P, but nowhere to do it.

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #3,578 of 6,828
Not using a Mac anymore and it doesn't have exclusive mode + i hate usb into Dave. I also got tired of waiting for Spotify Hi-fi and so I just bought Roon lifetime last week to use with Qobuz. I love it so far and don't see myself switching too soon.
I use my iPad to feed my M-Scaler and it works great. I watch the Dave switch upscaling frequencies from 705.6kHz (Lossless) to 768kHz (Hi-Res Lossless). Roon is my next get as I hear in supposedly integrates with Apple Lossless.

I'm listening to the LCD-5's now. I love how tactile the bass is with certain songs.

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #3,579 of 6,828
I use my iPad to feed my M-Scaler and it works great. I watch the Dave switch upscaling frequencies from 705.6kHz (Lossless) to 768kHz (Hi-Res Lossless). Roon is my next get as I hear in supposedly integrates with Apple Lossless.
Since i have a pc and a laptop on for 10-12 hours a day, it was just infuriating having to use my phone or ipad to control the streamer. However i do travel with Dave and being able to use the pc/laptop as the core + phone as endpoint is great. I feel like Roon offers a lot for the money , even though i was a skeptic until last week when i ended my second trial. It's a great quality of life upgrade.
I hadn't heard about Apple lossless integration, do you have a link?

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #3,580 of 6,828
I'm sort of torn on deciding between the D8K Pro and LCD-5 as my TOTL open back to complement the VC. I love the immersion the HD800S provides, but find it too lean/shrill on too many genres. It's amazing for most of my orchestral tracks & video game soundtracks tho. And it works great for gaming too.

Still, I prefer the upper frequencies on my HD650 over my 800S.

I imagine most on this thread would recommend the LCD-5 over the D8k Pro. :)

It seems there's some overlap between the two in terms of their strengths (transparency, speed, and impact), but a difference primarily in their tuning.

Decisions decisions...

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #3,581 of 6,828
I'm sort of torn on deciding between the D8K Pro and LCD-5 as my TOTL open back to complement the VC. I love the immersion the HD800S provides, but find it too lean/shrill on too many genres. It's amazing for most of my orchestral tracks & video game soundtracks tho. And it works great for gaming too.

Still, I prefer the upper frequencies on my HD650 over my 800S.

I imagine most on this thread would recommend the LCD-5 over the D8k Pro. :)

It seems there's some overlap between the two in terms of their strengths (transparency, speed, and impact), but a difference primarily in their tuning.

Decisions decisions...
Not sure if you've had a chance to audition for yourself, but after reading impressions , i was pretty taken aback by this :
the Z1R makes a lot of the stuff I've heard (Stellia, HEKSE, ) sound too lean on my setup. LCD-5 made Z1R sound lean, even if it has more bass. Across the frequency range.
The best description i can think of for it is that the LCD-5 has a lot more "tonal density" than everything I've heard. It's pretty addictive and it just might tip the scales for me :) It's also the fastest headphone I've heard. (HEKSE was previously unmatched , found it way too lean).
The main reason why I'm pretty sure i won't wonder "what if" about the D8K Pro and Solitaire P is the weight difference.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #3,582 of 6,828
Not sure if you've had a chance to audition for yourself, but after reading impressions , i was pretty taken aback by this :
the Z1R makes a lot of the stuff I've heard (Stellia, HEKSE, ) sound too lean on my setup. LCD-5 made Z1R sound lean, even if it has more bass. Across the frequency range.
The best description i can think of for it is that the LCD-5 has a lot more "tonal density" than everything I've heard. It's pretty addictive and it just might tip the scales for me :) It's also the fastest headphone I've heard. (HEKSE was previously unmatched , found it way too lean).
The main reason why I'm pretty sure i won't wonder what if about the D8K Pro and Solitaire P is the weight difference.
That is really interesting to hear, thanks for sharing that for me. I think I could deal with the weight difference on the D8k if need be.

It does seem the LCD-5 probably has a more favorable tuning for me tho (based on what I've read).

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #3,583 of 6,828
I emailed Audeze to send me their upgraded head bands but so far got no response. How long did it take you guys to hear from them?

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #3,585 of 6,828
I emailed Audeze to send me their upgraded head bands but so far got no response. How long did it take you guys to hear from them?
What's your support ticket number? I definitely would've been on that.

In other news, I also received my LCD-5 (gotta get acquainted with products for work).

Sounds amazing man! Just using a "lowly" Modius/Jotunheim 2, so my experience won't be what some of you guys think is necessary. I don't care though, I think it sounds just excellent with this gear. So unless ya'll wanna send me some high end source and amp, this is what I got (Asgard 3 coming in this week for bedside setup). :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back