Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 13, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #2,731 of 6,787
Well, it took about 3 days of burning-in and listening to wrap my head around these (literally and figuratively), but these cans are absolute beasts. The technical ability to image an instrument precisely during the entirety of a song without ever overcrowding the staging, the microdetail and nuance/reverbs it picks up-it's all there.

I've heard Radiohead's National Anthem many times, but LCD5 did the best job of flawlessly portraying that ending with the all-out instrument assault, allowing you to pinpoint any instrument of your choice, whether the synthesizers on your peripherals, or the trumpet or drums or consistent bassline. Chaotic but still smooth.

Vocals are eloquently presented with a "large" presence on the stage, sounding euphoric yet clean. Timbre is excellent. Treble is detailed, natural and never fatiguing.

Thank you brain-burn in [and wine]:wine_glass:

Nov 13, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #2,734 of 6,787
Audeze’s balanced cable arrived yesterday. I think this is their “premium” cable with generic description stating spc 20 AWG. But the color is copper and black. I wonder if spc can be copper in color, not silver.

Anyways, I am glad to report that the LCD5s do scale up nicely with imaging being center-centric and quite closer to the stage. About 6-7 inches to the left and right seems impressively clear, accurate, and slightly magnified in comparison to the susvaras. It is an interesting rendition.

Nov 13, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #2,735 of 6,787
I thought the gloves were some sort of mistake? Who decided this would be the right accessory to provide with a $4500 headphone?

Are the headphones too expensive to come with white gloves or too inexpensive? :) They cost Audeze about fifty cents a pair (based on Amazon prices), so it is not like they could add an extra cable instead and keep the same price.

Nov 13, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #2,737 of 6,787
I think the gloves were just for laughs. The idea isn't entirely dissimilar (although not as punny) as Schiit's roll of TP.

Nov 13, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #2,738 of 6,787
I think they included gloves in the lcd-4 as well if I remember...other companies do the same

Nov 13, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #2,739 of 6,787
I think they included gloves in the lcd-4 as well if I remember...other companies do the same
My 2021 LCD-XC also came with butler gloves.

Nov 13, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #2,740 of 6,787
Torx, not star.
Use the correct tools to do the job, and don't use a metric Allen key on a Torx head screw.

@KMann or @Audeze can you please confirm what type of screw the 5s use is in the adjustment mechanism to buy the correct screwdriver, the one that I have fit but not 100%... I don't want to screw up :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #2,741 of 6,787
My LCD-4 came with the gloves. Still in the case. But I think they are a nice touch. Even if completely pointless.

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #2,742 of 6,787
Since the LCD5 thread might be the most popular threads I am following these days, I chose this one to articulate my opinion on relevant amplifiers.

In my opinion it is a very frustrating and misleading trend, that the most popular YouTube reviewers say DACs and amps hardly make any difference. Most of these YouTube stars say it is not worth spending more than $500 on a DAC and and amp.

Well, it is not worth it unless you have a really good pair of TOTL headphones. Than the differences/improvements become very obvious.

$3000-4000 headphone with $500 gear is a waste of hp resources. You need at least a gear of $2K to truly start to hear what your 3-4K headphone is capable of.
I just share this as I still see some completely ignorant posts with 4K headphones and $200 DAPs.

Please, do your research before a multi thousand dollar purchase to avoid disappointments.

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #2,743 of 6,787
Since the LCD5 thread might be the most popular threads I am following these days, I chose this one to articulate my opinion on relevant amplifiers.

In my opinion it is a very frustrating and misleading trend, that the most popular YouTube reviewers say DACs and amps hardly make any difference. Most of these YouTube stars say it is not worth spending more than $500 on a DAC and and amp.

Well, it is not worth it unless you have a really good pair of TOTL headphones. Than the differences/improvements become very obvious.

$3000-4000 headphone with $500 gear is a waste of hp resources. You need at least a gear of $2K to truly start to hear what your 3-4K headphone is capable of.
I just share this as I still see some completely ignorant posts with 4K headphones and $200 DAPs.

Please, do your research before a multi thousand dollar purchase to avoid disappointments.

Matching gear solely based on price seems illogical to me.

Nov 13, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #2,744 of 6,787

I agree with your opinion but speaking about money is a little frustrating. I think better speaking about good amplifiers or sources. I heard 5.000 euros amplifier with bad performance. In the other side a dap with planar is a nonsense

Nov 13, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #2,745 of 6,787
I agree with your opinion but speaking about money is a little frustrating.
Money/value is a pretty significant part of this hobby.
We can't ignore the fact, the gear we love cost crazy money.
At least we should pursue the best value for the money.
So we should not be shy to talk about finances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back