Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 12, 2021 at 2:25 AM Post #2,701 of 6,820
Strange it only happens with the LCD-5. Could you try a different cable, or have you already tried that?
No. I literally just unboxed it like an hour ago. It hums even when I plug it into my Burson Funk, which isn't even plugged into the TT2, so it's not the TT2. If it was bad power, I would think it would affect the other headphones as well.

Nov 12, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #2,704 of 6,820
Still does it with XC cable.

I'd send audeze support a quick message to be sure. Thats really strange. Sorry I can't be of more help. I hope someone else here might have an idea.

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #2,705 of 6,820
No. I literally just unboxed it like an hour ago. It hums even when I plug it into my Burson Funk, which isn't even plugged into the TT2, so it's not the TT2. If it was bad power, I would think it would affect the other headphones as well.
Try a iFi Defender or the like. Or try an Optical cable instead of USB.

Nov 12, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #2,706 of 6,820
My LCD-5s are supposed to arrive today. I look forward to comparing them to other headphones such as the D8K Pro. I have not seen many comparisons between the two.

I have been following this thread and YT reviews that say the LCD-5 could benefit from a slightly reduced upper midrange. I personally do not like EQs (though I do have a reasonably good hardware Equalizer). Even though I do not like EQs, I am not necessarily opposed to altering the sound of the headphone using a non-permanent solution. So I was wondering... Has any one tried the DCA Ether Closed Flow tuning inserts on the LCD-5? I asked DCA about the properties of the various inserts and below is what they shared. I don't know if they even fit but the black foam sounds like it might be a good match if it does fit.

From DCA-
White filters are heaviest on 1khrz 1-4 khrz less bright with this pad.

The Black felt @10-13khrz is about -1/2 db less bright

Black foam 4.5khrz-6 khrz is 1.5db less bright

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #2,708 of 6,820
Better to do it in one place. Either disable headroom or adjust the gain (using the slider on the right). I like leaving the headroom on as I get the clipping indicator. But do remember that you loose quite a bit of headroom when applying large changes, I prefer to keep things below 6dB when it comes to the maximum change I am willing to apply, your amp will have to work a bit harder so you lose some dynamic range.

Since many seem to be using @Resolve's EQ, I wanted to leave this here so you know what the EQ is doing and you can adjust the right ranges if you feel it is a bit too much. Personally I feel the treble is too forward (clearly heard when playing pink noise) and the bass sometimes gets a little overwhelming with this EQ for me, but I understand it is personal taste so use responsibly :)
Hmm this looks more like one of my initial ones I did by ear, and not the current one - the most recent one is under the target in the treble slightly. I'll have to update it in the main post. And yeah the bass is just because of what the LCD5 can do for a bit of fun.

Edit: regarding bass quality, I can understand some of the sentiment expressed merely as a function of the difference in tuning compared to the LCD-4 without EQ. They're very different headphones. This is why I think it's so key to dive into EQ and see what these headphones are actually capable of. I know not everyone likes doing it, and that's fine, but it will reveal things about the headphone that might otherwise be obscured by tonal balance differences. I think this is something @metal571 and I were chatting about on one of the live streams as well.

Last edited:
headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Nov 12, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #2,709 of 6,820
Unfortunately, many reviewers prioritize monetizing their YT feed and keeping the free headphones coming over providing accurate information and/or honest reviews. Anyone considering buying headphones in this price tier would be better served by auditioning in person - for most, the cost of travel (if necessary) is less than the loss taken on resale by an original owner.
I hope nobody ever thinks I'm trying to do that. I'm actually worried about making mistakes in my reviews, and there was the risk that, quickly reviewing the LCD-5s, that I'd miss something critical. I have no idea what other reviewers are doing though.

Nov 12, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #2,710 of 6,820
My LCD-5s are supposed to arrive today. I look forward to comparing them to other headphones such as the D8K Pro. I have not seen many comparisons between the two.

I have been following this thread and YT reviews that say the LCD-5 could benefit from a slightly reduced upper midrange. I personally do not like EQs (though I do have a reasonably good hardware Equalizer). Even though I do not like EQs, I am not necessarily opposed to altering the sound of the headphone using a non-permanent solution. So I was wondering... Has any one tried the DCA Ether Closed Flow tuning inserts on the LCD-5? I asked DCA about the properties of the various inserts and below is what they shared. I don't know if they even fit but the black foam sounds like it might be a good match if it does fit.

From DCA-
White filters are heaviest on 1khrz 1-4 khrz less bright with this pad.

The Black felt @10-13khrz is about -1/2 db less bright

Black foam 4.5khrz-6 khrz is 1.5db less bright
I would advise against placing anything in front of the drivers. The mids on these headphones are pretty much right where they should be, and these inserts will likely over-attenuate that frequency. Not only that, but you will lose a significant amount of technical performance by doing so. If you end up disliking the tonality, small EQ changes will be your biggest friend, not completely changing the headphone.

Nov 12, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #2,711 of 6,820
If you set the volume to match at ~300 Hz, the LCD-5 and LCD-4 have almost identical bass, with the exception that the LCD-5 will have a bit more speed compared to theLCD-4. This speed, and therefore lack of bloom, can sound like it has "less" bass in certain circumstances; although I believe the biggest factor contributing to some people saying the LCD-5 has "less" bass than the LCD-4 would be that most people are volume matching at the highest overall volume when listening to music. Since the LCD-5 has much more mid energy, matching volumes between the headphones can inadvertently lower the bass response of the LCD-5. So if you do not use EQ on the LCD-4 to correct for the lack of mid energy, then the LCD-4 will certainly have "more" bass than the LCD-5.

In any case, if both headphones are EQ'd to have matching bass shelfs, you will find the LCD-5 has equal bass of the LCD-4. Depending on the source, you may find the LCD-5 has more bass impact.
I agree and found this to be case during my A to B testing...

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #2,714 of 6,820
Nov 12, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #2,715 of 6,820
… I think it's so key to dive into EQ and see what these headphones are actually capable of.
This. IMO, this applies to ALL headphones, since we all hear things differently and have different preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back