Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 12, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #2,716 of 6,820
D8K series is very underappreciated on Head-Fi. The D8K Pro bass is the best quality out of all my cans. That's my overall impression without doing a detailed A-B comparison with my four Audeze headphones. D8K Pro somehow has the timbre of a dynamic headphone and not that typical planar timbre, which leads to the bass having the speed of a planar yet punching like a dynamic with great reverb and details. They're truly one of the worthy kings on the summit in my humble system
I very much agree with your comment.

Nov 12, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #2,718 of 6,820
I believe it was directed at Josh?
It may have been, but I just want to point out that it's probably more applicable to a wider crowd of YT reviewers and maybe not those who are as uniquely into headphones as Josh is. Honestly, as much as we'll often have a different take on something, I get nothing but genuine opinions from him. Maybe some of that gets lost in the high visual quality of his videos, but I get every sense that his takes are simply expressions of his experiences, whether they align with mine or not.

And I think that's yet another reason not to strictly limit yourself to one person's opinion before taking the plunge on this stuff. We often get too siloed into camps, and in reality, the person armed with information from multiple sources is in a better place than the person who blindly follows one.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Nov 12, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #2,719 of 6,820
And I think that's yet another reason not to strictly limit yourself to one person's opinion before taking the plunge on this stuff. We often get too siloed into camps, and in reality, the person armed with information from multiple sources is in a better place than the person who blindly follows one.
This.

In my 10+ years as a headphone enthusiast I've found exactly 0 other people whose preferences align precisely with mine. That said, there are several reviewers that I follow because I have an understanding of their preferences and their opinions are still useful to me (including @Resolve :) ).

Nov 12, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #2,720 of 6,820
I have some first impressions of the LCD-5:

Full review soon!

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #2,724 of 6,820
received my lcd-5 today. unfortunately, it is defective. Kind of dissapointing as the defect should have been easy to catch in quality control. The left slider doesn't stay in place and basically is hard to adjust to a particular detent. The right slider works properly. I am sure a new headband which i understand is easy to replace will fix this? not too worried cause I think Audeze will help me once I reach out.

The other thing is that the headphone cannot rest on a flat surface without falling over to one side or the other. It is unstable. This would eventually lead to scratches if it is not corrected. Do others have this issue? when you put your headphones down do they stay put or do the cups roll over?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #2,725 of 6,820
...The left slider doesn't stay in place and basically is hard to adjust to a particular detent. The right slider works properly. I am sure a new headband which i understand is easy to replace will fix this? not too worried cause I think Audeze will help me once I reach out.

Mine came like that too and I see that @WaveTheory point it out in his video too. I use this tool to adjust the screw inside to make it tigh, it works fine now.
I dont know the number or name of the tool but is one of those for open electronics, I had lucky to have one on hands, it would be nice to see @Audeze include this tool with their headphones (also works with my LCD X) its more useful than the white gloves imo.

20211112_183636.jpg
20211112_183837.jpg
20211112_183938.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #2,726 of 6,820
Mine came like that too and I see that @WaveTheory point it out in his video too. I use this tool to adjust the screw inside to make it tigh, it works fine now.
I dont know the number or name of the tool but is one of those for open electronics, I had lucky to have one on hands, it would be nice to see @Audeze include this tool with their headphones (also works with my LCD X) its more useful than the white gloves imo.

20211112_183636.jpg20211112_183837.jpg20211112_183938.jpg
A 2mm hex key or T8 star driver (what's in your picture) will work.

Nov 12, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #2,727 of 6,820
Mine came like that too and I see that @WaveTheory point it out in his video too.

Yeah, there is definitely different levels of resistance in the adjustment mechanism between the sides on the unit I have. It is not to the severity that @buffer seems to be describing, though. Nonetheless, I'm sure I have a screwdriver bit that will fit those screws somewhere in the garage. When I get a moment I'll see if the fix you or @Currawong mention helps.

Nov 13, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #2,729 of 6,820
Concerning my headband post, I'll reach out to Audeze to give them a chance to respond - they actually suggested I do so. Clearly, they are monitoring the thread and care about their customers. But I am confident you all offered the solution so I want to thank you all for sharing. After reaching out to Audeze, depending on what they say i shall try your recommendation. It's great if the solution is as simple as tightening a screw, albeit a non standard screw. You are all the best example of a community helping each other out and I appreciate it! BTW, I fully agree the tool would be more useful than the gloves :)

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #2,730 of 6,820
I thought the gloves were some sort of mistake? Who decided this would be the right accessory to provide with a $4500 headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back