Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 13, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #2,762 of 6,787
we tried multiple amps/sources, including balanced. They all hummed!
The best place to start is with a battery powered source to see if you hear the hum, say a laptop on battery to a battery powered DAC if you have access to one, this way you are not connected to mains in any way. Does the hum increase/decrease when you touch one of the components?

Edit: Also did it hum just for you or for anybody else who tried too?

Since you have tried it with more than one cable and also in more than one location, it is best to contact support.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #2,763 of 6,787
The best place to start is with a battery powered source to see if you hear the hum, say a laptop on battery to a battery powered DAC if you have access to one, this way you are not connected to mains in any way. Does the hum increase/decrease when you touch one of the components?

Since you have tried it with more than one cable and also in more than one location, it is best to contact support.
No hum when plugged into my iPhone dongle.

Well I’m extremely lucky that the hifi store contacted Audeze directly and they’re looking into it. I had to leave my headphones there.

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #2,764 of 6,787
I just received my Audeze LCD-5 and I'm having some trouble. It is plugged directly into my TT2 and it is making a 60HZ (or maybe 120HZ) tone. It's faint until I touch my keyboard that's plugged into my computer, at which point it gets very loud. This happens whether the TT2 is plugged in to the computer or not. It happens when the computer is off. It happens when the TT2 is in standby. It happens when plugged into another amp. This does not happen at all with any of my other headphones (Audeze LCD-XC , Focal Utopia, or Sen 6xx). What do you think could be causing this ONLY in my LCD-5? It's very frustrating.
I had a similar experience the other day. My source is a PC. I use a wireless keyboard, but if I plug the keyboard into an outlet to charge and touch a metal portion of the keyboard, I can pick up hum in my LCD-5s.

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #2,765 of 6,787
I had a similar experience the other day. My source is a PC. I use a wireless keyboard, but if I plug the keyboard into an outlet to charge and touch a metal portion of the keyboard, I can pick up hum in my LCD-5s.
I get a hum with my LCD-5 as well when connected to powered equipment. When connected to battery-powered equipment, it’s not there.

I happened to have an iFi DC Blocker on hand. I plugged it in between my power conditioner and the power cable to the wall, and the hum I heard through the LCD-5 stopped.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/dc-blocker/

I’m not advocating for this as a general solution, but it worked in my system.

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #2,766 of 6,787
I happened to have an iFi DC Blocker on hand. I plugged it in between my power conditioner and the power cable to the wall, and the hum I heard through the LCD-5 stopped.

https://ifi-audio.com/products/dc-blocker/

I’m not advocating for this as a general solution, but it worked in my system.

I can hear a faint whine hum past 1-2 o'clock on the WA7. Is this the same?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #2,767 of 6,787
I can hear a faint whine past 1-2 o'clock on the WA7. Is this the same?
It was more of a hum than a whine, and it was apparent during the quiet parts of music. It’s possible you’re hearing something similar. I assume it was noise from transformers like you might pick up with speakers connected to an amplifier, as the DC Blocker is meant to address that, but I can’t say for sure. Apologies, but I’m ignorant on electrical issues.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #2,768 of 6,787
It was more of a hum than a whine, and it was apparent during the quiet parts of music. It’s possible you’re hearing something similar. I assume it was noise from transformers like you might pick up with speakers connected to an amplifier, as the DC Blocker is meant to address that, but I can’t say for sure. Apologies, but I’m ignorant on electrical issues.
Yes, corrected. It's more like a faint hum and can start hearing it around 1 but stays at that level all the way to max with nothing playing. Will try this blocker thingy. Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #2,769 of 6,787
Yes, corrected. It's more like a faint hum and can start hearing it around 1 but stays at that level all the way to max with nothing playing. Will try this blocker thingy. Thanks!
Just make sure you buy it from somewhere you can return it if it doesn’t work, like Amazon. :)

Nov 14, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #2,770 of 6,787
Torx, not star.
Use the correct tools to do the job, and don't use a metric Allen key on a Torx head screw.
It's not a torx-head screw. I don't know why you posted this, as it has now confused people.
@KMann or @Audeze can you please confirm what type of screw the 5s use is in the adjustment mechanism to buy the correct screwdriver, the one that I have fit but not 100%... I don't want to screw up :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Like I said, it's a 2.0mm hex/allen screw. A T8 torx driver will work as well.

Attachments

• IMG_6180.jpeg
    IMG_6180.jpeg
    316.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6178.jpeg
    IMG_6178.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6177.jpeg
    IMG_6177.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 0
Nov 14, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #2,771 of 6,787
possible hum is because the low impedance? Kinda like ZMF cans on the HI Z of Pendant and other AmpandSound ampiliers. I am in line to receive my LCD 5 so hopefully with my PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3 this won't be an issue for me.

Nov 14, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #2,772 of 6,787
I am afraid I'm going to have that problem. I love listening to headphones but my ears are, shall we say, "elephantine"...something is always rubbing against the pad or grill. And having large pinna doesn't help so I need huge openings in earpads to fit comfortably (even LCD 2-4 earpads or Empy earpads needed constant adjustment). So I either need to:

1. Trim all the external ear bits - although that just might affect the sound...or
2. Glue all the sticky-outy ear-bit parts to the sides of my head and hope the pads work on-ear...

Further helpful suggestions would be appreciated...
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends
So, I adjusted the stems a notch lower so the cups sit lower and the ears are less pressured. I used them for 6 hours last night with less occasional adjustment or opening of the cups having to be done, so YMMV.

Nov 14, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #2,773 of 6,787
Matter price isn't what I by. I choose that expensive amp because I like it. I have way cheaper gear in $300 range Aune X7S and love it with $1600 Fostex TH900. Also my ZMF cans are better on inexpensive BottleHead Crack versus more expensive tube amps I've had. When my LCD 5 comes I have my $5500 amp and ZMF Pendant. If I take it in my van I'm using my Aune and iFi Zen DAC which is $600. I know it will work great. If the amp is expensive and you buy it make sure it's not for a status symbol. My current setup of equipment looks looks like hand-me-down. No summit Fi but it will kick the poop out of lot of more expensive gear who sell because they are Versace.

Attachments

• PXL_20211114_135710215.jpg
    PXL_20211114_135710215.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 14, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #2,775 of 6,787
Mine came like that too and I see that @WaveTheory point it out in his video too. I use this tool to adjust the screw inside to make it tigh, it works fine now.
I dont know the number or name of the tool but is one of those for open electronics, I had lucky to have one on hands, it would be nice to see @Audeze include this tool with their headphones (also works with my LCD X) its more useful than the white gloves imo.

A 2mm hex key or T8 star driver (what's in your picture) will work.
@Terco mentioned "Audeze includes this tool with their headphones" (in the photo above) which is a Torx driver.
You also stated "a 2mm hex key or T8 star driver" which is why I posted what I did. So if Audeze is including a Torx driver with their headphones they're using Torx head screws, not 2mm Allen screws, no? Even though the 2mm Allen may fit, I posted to help avoid ruining the screw by using the wrong tool.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back