Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 14, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #2,776 of 6,787
@Terco mentioned "Audeze includes this tool with their headphones" (in the photo above) which is a Torx driver.
You also stated "a 2mm hex key or T8 star driver" which is why I posted what I did. So if Audeze is including a Torx driver with their headphones they're using Torx head screws, not 2mm Allen screws, no? Even though the 2mm Allen may fit, I posted to help avoid ruining the screw by using the wrong tool.
Just fyi, it’s the other way around. A Torx bit will fit an Allen (hex) head of same size but an Allen (hex) bit won’t work in a Torx head.

Nov 14, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #2,777 of 6,787
Just fyi, it’s the other way around. A Torx bit will fit an Allen (hex) head of same size but an Allen (hex) bit won’t work in a Torx head.
I'm not the one claiming (nor did I mention) which will fit which, at all.
All I'm saying is use the right tool regardless of which will fit which and which won't which and I see a Torx driver Audeze includes with their headphones not a "star" or 2mm Allen so this tells me they're using Torx screws. I can use plenty of SAE tools for Metric applications and vise-versa, but that doesn't mean it's the right tool. As I mentioned, my post was to avoid ruining the screw, so if it helped the OP the point of my post was understood.

Nov 14, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #2,778 of 6,787
I'm not the one claiming (nor did I mention) which will fit which, at all.
All I'm saying is use the right tool regardless of which will fit which and which won't which and I see a Torx driver Audeze includes with their headphones not a "star" or 2mm Allen so this tells me they're using Torx screws. I can use plenty of SAE tools for Metric applications and vise-versa, but that doesn't mean it's the right tool. As I mentioned, my post was to avoid ruining the screw, so if it helped the OP the point of my post was understood.
Understood, thanks (torx and star are same though) and most normal folks would definitely call us that spend tens of thousands on head gear “tools” for sure but normal be damned as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #2,779 of 6,787
@Terco mentioned "Audeze includes this tool with their headphones" (in the photo above) which is a Torx driver.
You also stated "a 2mm hex key or T8 star driver" which is why I posted what I did. So if Audeze is including a Torx driver with their headphones they're using Torx head screws, not 2mm Allen screws, no? Even though the 2mm Allen may fit, I posted to help avoid ruining the screw by using the wrong tool.
I said that it would be nice to see Audeze include this tool with their headphones since also works for other LCD hps... They don't include the tool.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #2,781 of 6,787
Matching gear solely based on price seems illogical to me.
Just for the record, I never said your DAC/amp choices should be based solely on price.
There are great DACs and amps in every price range and I mean it. Synergy is king. In general however with your TOTL ($4000-6000) headphone a $2000 amp will sound better than a $400 one. Perhaps not always, but most of the time.

But my point was not even this. All I said was if you buy a TOTL headphone like the LCD5, you won't be able to hear its peak performance out of budget amps. That was all. Just a reminder to share your finances wisely between headphone/amp/DAC in order to achieve maximum performance from all of your audio gear. I have just seen too many inconsistencies/anomalies in this regard lately. Maximise the potential of what you have.

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #2,782 of 6,787
Just for the record, I never said your DAC/amp choices should be based solely on price.
There are great DACs and amps in every price range and I mean it. Synergy is king. In general however with your TOTL ($4000-6000) headphone a $2000 amp will sound better than a $400 one. Perhaps not always, but most of the time.

But my point was not even this. All I said was if you buy a TOTL headphone like the LCD5, you won't be able to hear its peak performance out of budget amps. That was all. Just a reminder to share your finances wisely between headphone/amp/DAC in order to achieve maximum performance from all of your audio gear. I have just seen too many inconsistencies/anomalies in this regard lately. Maximise the potential of what you have.
I agree completely and I think it is a good advice. For example, I really like my Hugo2 and I know there are IEM companies out there that flat out admit they solely use Hugo 2 for their tuning. LCD5s sound pretty good with Hugo2 but I would be disappointed if they only sounded that good. I would want my money back, because relatively speaking, they sound anemic and underwhelming compared to my better system. Unfortunately better systems cost more, not always but most of the time.

Since everyone is on their own “journey” in this hobby, would it be nicer to refrain and leave them alone if they want the LCD5s to use with their Hugo2 or point it out and help them? The difference is negligible… I could do either on a good or bad day. I do appreciate a lot every time I learn from others experience though.

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #2,783 of 6,787

Your point of view is correct. It is complicated, sometimes, to judge a top heafphone with a budget amplifier or dac. True! But in the other side it is the bad part of our passion. Why can't i listen a top headphone with a budget amplifier or dac? Regarding reviews it is completely different. Today all people is reviewer. The result is a mess

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #2,784 of 6,787
I agree completely and I think it is a good advice. For example, I really like my Hugo2 and I know there are IEM companies out there that flat out admit they solely use Hugo 2 for their tuning. LCD5s sound pretty good with Hugo2 but I would be disappointed if they only sounded that good. I would want my money back, because relatively speaking, they sound anemic and underwhelming compared to my better system. Unfortunately better systems cost more, not always but most of the time.

Since everyone is on their own “journey” in this hobby, would it be nicer to refrain and leave them alone if they want the LCD5s to use with their Hugo2 or point it out and help them? The difference is negligible… I could do either on a good or bad day. I do appreciate a lot every time I learn from others experience though.
Sure, everyone is on their own journey. But me personally would have been grateful to have some stark advice on the way. It could have saved me some extra curves and a lot of wasted cash. I guess Hugo2 with any TOTL headphones is pretty good already. The Hugo2 is close to $2000. So definitely not the $200-300 budget options I was referring to.
Your point of view is correct. It is complicated, sometimes, to judge a top heafphone with a budget amplifier or dac. True! But in the other side it is the bad part of our passion. Why can't i listen a top headphone with a budget amplifier or dac? Regarding reviews it is completely different. Today all people is reviewer. The result is a mess
That is not the point. You can have individually satisfying result from a $4000 headphone and $500 amp. The point is that you are not using all the resources that $4000 headphone has to offer.

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #2,785 of 6,787
That is not the point. You can have individually satisfying result from a $4000 headphone and $500 amp. The point is that you are not using all the resources that $4000 headphone has to offer.
Yes but where is the problem?

Nov 14, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #2,786 of 6,787
Getting some stunning results with the LCD-5 and Cayin N6ii with R2R module. My biggest surprise with this headphone is how important it makes the DAC for listening since it doesn’t require oodles of power.

I love this headphone. Nothing is worth $4500, but it certainly is the best headphone I’ve used.

Nov 14, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #2,787 of 6,787
Yes but where is the problem?
I guess there is no problem, unless you are happy to waste your own resources.

It is ok to buy a Ferrari and use it in a 30mph zone to take your kids to school every morning, but what is the point?

Nov 14, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #2,788 of 6,787
possible hum is because the low impedance? Kinda like ZMF cans on the HI Z of Pendant and other AmpandSound ampiliers. I am in line to receive my LCD 5 so hopefully with my PS Audio Stellar Power Plant 3 this won't be an issue for me.
It was very weird also because if I stood in a different spot, the hum would get louder or softer. If touch metal, it got really loud. This happened at my desk, my parents' house, and the hifi store. It also happened across multiple amps/dacs.

Nov 14, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #2,789 of 6,787
It was very weird also because if I stood in a different spot, the hum would get louder or softer. If touch metal, it got really loud. This happened at my desk, my parents' house, and the hifi store. It also happened across multiple amps/dacs.
Not entirely surprising as your body is also part of the equation (bare foot vs wearing shoes, carpet vs wood floor) it all alters the way you ground.

Nov 14, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #2,790 of 6,787
I bought WA33 Elite after loving the standard. Then after a long time found I didn't like that amp with other headphones but the 1266. Mike from Woo recommend WA5 LE. That was better as now all my headphones sound amazing to the point of them sounding amazing to me. Maybe for particular music that requires reference sound the more expensive gear helps. My music is all digital. EDM sounds the same on that Elite as it did on my WA5 Le. If I could do it over and realizing single ended circuits sound better to me, I wish I bought the WA234. Many people explained something to do with 2nd order even harmonics. Something balanced designs remove in the design and for many those harmonics are part of life. Said something about them in the distortion. It was way over my head I'm not s sound or electronics engineer. So price for me wasn't the issue it's design type. Always told balance is better. So all the amps in that picture except the Stax is single ended. Maybe that Stax isn't balanced I don't know just got it off the classifieds so haven't done research. Only sucky thing I have to use a step down transformer as it's Japanese version.

Anyways got Schiit Eq just in case I need more grunt in the bass region on the 5.

Being I'm not on team Abyss anymore I'm wondering if this will place my Meze Elite in 2nd string.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back