Audeze LCD-5 Review, Measurements, Interview
Nov 14, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #2,806 of 6,787
A comment over topics plaguing the last few pages: Stating your experience and explaining your personal preferences is one thing, but making overarching blanket statements without any specific examples or even offering insight on alternatives doesn't help anyone--and comes across as dismissive and myopic.

Back to the topic, I'll be getting my 5s in within the next week or so; I will see how they do off of my measly iFi micro Black Label, and Hugo2/IHA-6 :smile: .
I'm still waiting impatiently for the place I ordered from to get some in (I think they're only getting in a couple at a time...not anyone's fault). I just got my first R2R DAC/Amp combo in the Audio-gd R28. Hopefully, it will pair well with the LCD-5.

As a general, not-aimed-at-you aside, I believe the reason this thread has been more discordant than the usual new product thread is the whole trickle release issue from the worldwide logistics problems. I'm sure if Audeze could have had the release that they wanted, in the numbers they wanted, we would be happily chatting away about impressions and equipment pairings...and probably not being so dismissive or myopic (well, as much any other thread). In my experience, this has been the most difficult thread for people waiting on their gear (although there once was a Schiit release thread that came close).

But this too shall pass! :ksc75smile:
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #2,807 of 6,787
I'm demoing these right now with a review pair.

It's too bad the the clamping force is so high on these! They made the headphones nice and light but still felt the need to make them fairly uncomfortable. Like I cannot wear them any longer than other Audeze LCD models, which is a shame. Almost seems like Audeze has something against making comfy headphones. :jecklinsmile:

You'd think they could just be bent outward to alleviate that, but the headband is carbon fiber, not metal, so I'm not sure it's something that is fixable...

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #2,808 of 6,787
And which R2R Dac and Big Solid State ampmis incoming to Power them in the future?
Getting in Musician Pegasus for the DAC. The amp is a semi-DIY project I'm slowly getting parts in for; will update on that later depending on how it turns out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. While the Pegasus is intended specifically for the LCD-5, the amp is just a fun project I've been wanting to try (and I wouldn't be surprised if it flops).
With the LCD-5, I am excited to hear how a combination of R2R DAC/SS AMP will perform with it. @HK_sends, I bet your R28 will be a killer combo with it :).

Nov 15, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #2,809 of 6,787
I'm demoing these right now with a review pair.

It's too bad the the clamping force is so high on these! They made the headphones nice and light but still felt the need to make them fairly uncomfortable. Like I cannot wear them any longer than other Audeze LCD models, which is a shame. Almost seems like Audeze has something against making comfy headphones. :jecklinsmile:

You'd think they could just be bent outward to alleviate that, but the headband is carbon fiber, not metal, so I'm not sure it's something that is fixable...
That clamping force might relent with some days or even hours of use. It has for a few of the posters here already, although, of course your personal mileage may well vary. Also Audeze has announced a possible replacement headband for this unit, one with a "kinder and gentler" clamping force, so to speak, which is worth noting by those for whom the present one does not work too well eventually.:):):)

Nov 15, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #2,810 of 6,787
Removed

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #2,812 of 6,787
What volume on Cayin usually you use for comfortable listening session?
60 out of 100 on High Gain. And I enjoy my music to be loud. Even with all my other equipment, enjoying this combo (LCD-5 and Cayin N6ii with R01 module) the best right now.

Nov 15, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #2,813 of 6,787
60 out of 100 on High Gain. And I enjoy my music to be loud. Even with all my other equipment, enjoying this combo (LCD-5 and Cayin N6ii with R01 module) the best right now.
Oh, this is interesting. Many are saying the LCD-5 is too current hungry for many portable devices. I have an N6ii with E02. Haven't tried it yet but will before final review. Does N6ii give you much bass slam? Do you find it drains the battery more quickly than other headphones?

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #2,814 of 6,787
Wah, that's nice! Will give it a try to run through DAP when I able to try LCD-5 next month.

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #2,815 of 6,787
If they are too power hungry I’d suggest you give the Meze Elites some serious consideration.

Nov 15, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #2,816 of 6,787
This definitely feels like the least power hungry flagship from Audeze I’ve ever experienced. Sounds good even with a Chord Mojo. I see some comments on this thread, but they all seem to be from people looking at graphs instead of owning them.

I’m super impressed with them. Got a WA7 3rd gen coming, but feel comfortable with what I’m hearing from a portable source.

Nov 15, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #2,818 of 6,787
I think the LCD5 tuning is intentional and up to date. I don't think they messed up. The "new sound" is slightly different than almost 10 year old Harmans curve.
The mids are not recessed, sounding more prominent, and the bass is flat, sounding less prominent in comparison to Harmans.
The result is evenly distributed energy across the audible spectrum, nothing added and nothing taken away. When you get there, there is tremendous and exhilarating energy across the board as if all cylinders are firing at their maximum. And I don't think you can get there by EQing.
This flagship tuning is a huge gamble for Audeze, but I think it is brilliant. I don't think they botched it.

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #2,819 of 6,787
I place an order directly with Audeze two weeks ago and I’ve just been told expect to wait at least 2 more weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back