Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Oct 11, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #1,967 of 6,388

I don't know if you should dismiss Q just because it's ETP. It's quite up there and the workmanship is immaculate, not to mention Q's customer service is among some of the best. By theory OCC would be ideal but in real life, I honestly couldn't say I would actually be able to differentiate from types of wires while in normal situations.

I am sure that the workmanship is great and that the customer service is top notch. I also know that se is a great guy from what I've seen but I just couldn't buy a cable that's made from ETP, a material that's worse than the one in the stock cable. I would never be able to trust that cable in delivering good sound to my ears and that could induce a negative placebo :)
  I've heard this story 10000 times too & I agree.  I trust my ears more than I trust stories.... I am 100% sure that there are differences. If there weren't I wouldn't buy a cable just for the looks...or the smell :))

I am not saying this is not true to some audiophiles....but this excuse is used too much...

I had times I believed it to be better because of the price before listening to it, bought it, and afterwards disregarding the more expensive cable and remained with the stock. (this happened many times)

Also had a period that I wasn't attracted to my sound system no longer, and then realized it was a coax cable that made the sound very slow...(for me), changed it and then all was ok again.

I have said this a few times now. The problem is that our audio memory if not trained (or have it naturally) is very low, as we are visual animals that rely on vision, not hearing.

The question is this :  How well can you distinguish subtle differences in rhythm?

The above test is good for audio memory and also for hearing. If you have a low score and have problems in telling 2 different rhythms apart, I think it would be even harder to distinguish the differences in sounds with same rhythm but with other changes in details, soundstage, transients, etc

There is also a question of hearing capabilities and age (I have done an audio-gram recently and I have close to perfect hearing...)

I find it funny when somebody doesn't see something...and then he wants to believe that all in the world should be like him and nobody else sees that, and all who see are wrong because..HE cannot. ( it is more comforting  to believe that, I guess )

P.S. Last week I did a blind test with a friend (coax cables, digital, not even analog) and I recognized the cables...easily ( even in digital you can see the difference. I agree to the fact that you shouldn't but that only happens with digital done right and I have only listened to one dac that did that)

Calm down :p
Guys, don't tell Dan about placebo. He'll attack anybody like a mad man when seeing or hearing the p word :))

Oct 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #1,968 of 6,388

I am sure that the workmanship is great and that the customer service is top notch. I also know that se is a great guy from what I've seen but I just couldn't buy a cable that's made from ETP, a material that's worse than the one in the stock cable. I would never be able to trust that cable in delivering good sound to my ears and that could induce a negative placebo :)
Guys, don't tell Dan about placebo. He'll attack anybody like a mad man when seeing or hearing the p word :))

Well...I am calm and just exposed my point of view. However, I consider people telling me it is placebo...as annoying as I would tell them they have hearing problems... or quite more as it is brain vs ears :))

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #1,969 of 6,388
You know what I love? that the source/amp is very important and makes difference in each combination.
You know what I hate? Just that.

The HD800 is just either good or either horrible, the LCD-3 are either good or magnificent/superb/godly.

the headphones are amazing, to say the least. But with a source like the STX, it sounds much lifeless, it doesn't drive them, it just doesn't.

I'm looking into amps/dacs now. I've told a friend about the Audio-gd that I'm thinking about it... but he says it's cheap, don't get it, he's probably an idiot, I see everyone in this forum has at least 1 product by Audio-gd, which should mean something.

I love my LCD-3 and I can't wait to get a proper DAC/Amp.

Oct 11, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #1,970 of 6,388

Not quite sure I've ever read negative impressions of a Q cable due to negative placebo.

Oct 14, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #1,971 of 6,388
So far I'm really enjoying it, really...

Just that I'm feeling like I'm lacking quite a lot with the STX, the soundstaging/openness is not as pronounced, even compared to the HD700.
Some instruments are more or less defined, but others seem like they are uhm... well, don't know how to really explain it, but it's really there's no definition whatsoever, compared to the others. It is clear that I'm not using even these 10% of the LCD-3's.
At times there's also a bit sibilance I'm thinking the STX is the culprit, like I said, the HD700 felt VERY sibilant lately.

I've tried several Gain settings but it doesn't do much other than really adding to the volume, so I'm running through the regular 0 to 64 ohm setting.

Folks, here's the thing, I might go for the Bakoon HPA-21 at some point will have to work at it. One thing that's bothering me with them is that I'm on my PC most of the time, at times more than these 6.5 hours that it claims to handle. Is this amp really considered the best there is for the LCD-3's? If not, do tell me what is?

ATM I've set my mind to the Audio-gd NFB-28, though together with the Bakoon HPA-21 (If that's the case) I'll want to get a proper DAC that can handle DSD, like the Mytek 192 DSD or Yulong D8 (The latter is sexy and has a nice screen)

A friend and I are having an argument, he thinks money is everything, if it costs more, than it's better. And no chance Audio-gd NFB-28 will do anything good to the LCD-3's - Tell me what to tell this person to prove them wrong? :))

P.S: The store owner that sold me the LCD-3's is thinking of getting some custom cables for the headphones - do these make so much difference? Are they worth it?

/np - Hiromi Spiral Album

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #1,972 of 6,388
Do you need better than the STX.... hells yes.  Do you need a Bakoon... hells no.

Work your way up.  Tons of product flows through the for sale forum and gives a great chance to try out gear and only be out shipping if it doesn't work out.  Some love the LCD-3, others the HD800, others the HE-6... etc.

The Audio-GD will if nothing else tell you if the LCD-3 is your cup of tea.  And tell your friend product coming out of China last I checked costs less than EU or NA product.  Krell charges $10000 for a similar product Audio-GD sells for $1300.  Then try a Conductor or Schiit stack or any number of rigs that don't have $3000 amps to go along with what had better be a $2000+ dac.  It's a game of inches.

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #1,973 of 6,388
Actually you're wrong here, the STX can tell me enough if the LCD-3 are my cup of tea, and they are!!

The music I listen to the most is the one that shines in the LCD-3, talking about prog rock/metal, jazz, fusion, (And whoever said they don't work well for it) classical (YES IT DOES WORK EXCELLENT!)

I just want to get as much as I can towards the 100% without spending a fortune (Is this possible? :p)

/np TAPP - Turn of a Friendly Card

Oct 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #1,974 of 6,388
  I just want to get as much as I can towards the 100% without spending a fortune (Is this possible? :p)

No. :)

But there's hope. I agree with Solude, work your way up, find what YOU like. I would probably skip the lowest end though, if you upgrade make it worthwhile. Buying used and reselling won't be much of a penalty. It's probably best to stay away from niche products (like the Bakoon), as there could be wallet damage if you don't like them. Most of us find somewhere where we settle (even if somewhat temporarily) within our own constraints. The good news to you is starting with the STX, the downstream upgrades will be at least or more rewarding than your headphones purchases.

Headphones cables imo make a difference, but they're about the last thing to worry about after you've sorted out the DAC & AMP.

It's probably best to stay away from cheap tube gear. It's just as bad as cheap SS with the disadvantage that if you get caught into tube rolling you'll have another pile of stuff to sell. Higher-end tube amps that's something else.

Buzz words: Schiit, Burson, Audio GD

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #1,975 of 6,388
I agree. Try some different amps. You’ll learn what to listen for and what you like. To jump directly from STX to a high-end amp like HPA-21 is perhaps not the best thing to do.

HPA-21 is a “wire with gain” kind of amp so you’ll hear what your DAC is putting out. For me it’s the end-game amp, no need for me to get a "better" amp. But I like no coloration at all, I want to hear what the ME heard at mastering, or at least as close as you can get with headphones. It’s all a matter of taste, let your ears be the judge. YMMV...

Oct 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #1,976 of 6,388
Kevin Gilmore mentioned that the parts going into the Master 1 preamp Solude is referring to can't even be sourced in the US for the $1300 that Kingwa sells the unit for. 

The Bakoon is $3000. At that price, you're looking at an Audio GD NFB-27/Master 8 stack, the soon to be released Schiit statement stack, or the Burson Conductor with money left over. 

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably buy the NFB-28 and see what sort of improvement you can get on your LCD-3 and HD 800. You can sell it at a minimal loss if you decide you need something better, but I suspect that's all you need to get 95%+ of the LCD-3. 

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #1,979 of 6,388
LCD-4's coming out next year.

blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back