Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #1,097 of 6,385
Quote:
Quote:
Choosing between my LCD-3s or my HD800s (if it's a matter of choosing just between those two) is always a function of the music I'm listening to. If it's jazz or rock I automatically reach for the LCD-3s. Classical and its the 800s. I can't say either one is superior, just genre specific. The LCD-3s sound a bit too dark for Classical. The 800s are just a bit too bass deficient for a truly first class jazz/rock experience. Anyone else share these criteria?

I find the HD800's have plenty of bass for rock & metal.
Absolutely no need for any mods on the HD800's for me.
I don't have the LCD3's but the HD800's bass is a lot cleaner and precise than the LCD2.2's bass.

i am right with you on the HD800s. BUT, hate to tell you this but you need to sell your kidney and get an LCD-3.

Aug 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #1,099 of 6,385
Quote:
Quote:
My LCD3s are just stunning. Every thing I have ever listened to on these phones has been just awesome. For me trading in the 2r2s for the 3s was definitely one of the few things actually done right this lifetime!  ;0)
Money well spent. But it is a really good thing that we all do have choices that are available and all it takes is money...

+1

i just sold my LCD-2 last night. it was really hard to sell them, since i felt they still offered more midbass and a sort of different slightly less dark and smooth presentation that was good for some things.

however, the LCD-3 just have transparency and holographic imaging thats on another level. its about as good as it gets, so i can't really go back to LCD-2, the LCD-3 are clearly the better headphone. 

DubStep Girl - so glad to read that you got a pair of lcd3s. your feedback about different cans last year helped me a lot in my search for a near perfect set of phones for myself. the dust cleared after trying a lot of cans and i own the lcd3s and the hd800s. sounds from your post that your experience with the 3 equals mine. congratulations!!!

Aug 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #1,100 of 6,385
Quote:
GSX Mk II reported to be absolutely brilliant for lcd 3

Fixed it for you. 
size]

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #1,101 of 6,385
Quote:
DubStep Girl - so glad to read that you got a pair of lcd3s. your feedback about different cans last year helped me a lot in my search for a near perfect set of phones for myself. the dust cleared after trying a lot of cans and i own the lcd3s and the hd800s. sounds from your post that your experience with the 3 equals mine. congratulations!!!

thanks!!! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #1,102 of 6,385
Just a quick note to introduce myself, a VERY happy new owner of a pair of LCD-3s! I previously owned the LCD 2.2s and have to echo the thoughts of many other members in saying the 3s are definitely worth the extra $.  They simply take everything the 2s do well and do it better. Absolutely breathtaking wood finish (you have to see it to appreciate it) and the ear pads are incredibly more comfortable than the 2s.

Currently feeding them with Jriver Mediacenter ASIO --> Schitt Bifrost UBER Gen2 USB --> Schitt Lyr (stock tubes) --> Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 cable --> LCD-3.

I welcome any input on where I should start with regard to source upgrades, have been eyeballing the Schitt Mjolnir/Gungnir combo but I would like to be sure that other options in roughly the same price range shouldn't be considered.  I live in Alaska and as such cannot audition any of these products without purchase, and the cost of shipping is prohibitive in and out of the state.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 7, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #1,105 of 6,385
Preference, gear, sensitivity to changes in sound, etc. Possibilities. It indeed was a step up no doubt, but I still couldn't quite justify the $1000 bump in the end... 
But then again I couldn't justify keeping any kind of headphone set up anymore and ended up migrating to speaker-fi.
Reading this thread makes me want to get the LCD3 again. Maybe when the Ragnarok comes out and I can swap my C275BEE for it since the Rag is apparently a power amp as well.
Quote:

Maybe not "all that" but a step up - yes..  Also, lots of it depends on preference as well.  

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:56 AM Post #1,106 of 6,385
Well if your sig is correct and your LCD-3 amp is a receiver headphone jack... I could see not being blown away.

Aug 7, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #1,108 of 6,385
Quote:
Well if your sig is correct and your LCD-3 amp is a receiver headphone jack... I could see not being blown away.

Exactly my thoughts :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back