Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jun 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #16 of 6,385
Quote:
Thanks for starting the thread MH, I have my LCD-3 for about a week and am enjoying the music from it everything evening.

They are the headphones that keep on giving. Since my Liquid Fire arrived and I dropped in a matched quad of platinum Siemens tubes into it, they have stepped it up quite a bit over my (now sold) WA22. I bet they'd be fantastic on your balanced B22 or WA5LE. Basically between them and my HD800s, all of my head-time has been consumed.
L3000.gif

Jun 19, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #17 of 6,385
Quote:
They are the headphones that keep on giving. Since my Liquid Fire arrived and I dropped in a matched quad of platinum Siemens tubes into it, they have stepped it up quite a bit over my (now sold) WA22. I bet they'd be fantastic on your balanced B22 or WA5LE. Basically between them and my HD800s, all of my head-time has been consumed.
L3000.gif

It do sounds great with WA5LE but not try on the Beta22 in the moment, need some mod on the cable, it should be great, too. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #18 of 6,385
One thing I've found with the LCD-3 is that they will happily take every single upstream improvemrnt you can throw at your system, and in turn will give you some pretty impressive sonic results no matter how small that upgrade may be.

I think they are capable of being more transparent than most people give them credit for, simply because I find that the LCD-3 needs a little more time and involvement with everything upstream in order to get it to truly sing!

My initial reaction to my pair of LCD-3's was somewhat disappointing. 
With a little bit of time, expense, and some smart decision making, I've come full circle (rather the LCD-3 has), and I'm now enjoying the heck out of them!

--- Now if only they were as comfy as my HD800's...

Jun 20, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #19 of 6,385
I am actually looking for an SS amp for LCD-3. Any recommendation appreciated. I am still using the MF HPA with W4DAC2 and I am pretty happy with it.... great bass, good high I am looking at 3 SS amp now:

1)  Darkstar (wondering if it will be too dark).
2) Apache.
3) GS-X

advised needed and thanks in advanced.

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #20 of 6,385
Quote:
I am actually looking for an SS amp for LCD-3. Any recommendation appreciated. I am still using the MF HPA with W4DAC2 and I am pretty happy with it.... great bass, good high I am looking at 3 SS amp now:

2) Apache.
3) GS-X

I do not have the LCD3 but the Audio-gd Master 6/8 is stunning with the LCD2.2's.
As from your list I assume you are looking for a balanced amp I would recommend you add it to your list ASAP.
wink_face.gif

You will also save a fair bit of cash compared to the others on your list!

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #21 of 6,385
Quote:

2) Apache.
3) GS-X

Add the ALO RxIII to this list.
I still can't believe how good this little monster sounds with the LCD-3s. Source needs to be better than the CLAS, though.

Esoteric K01>>single ended>>ALO RxIII>>balanced Silver Dragon re-cabled LCD-3
L3000.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #22 of 6,385
Quote:

I do not have the LCD3 but the Audio-gd Master 6/8 is stunning with the LCD2.2's.
As from your list I assume you are looking for a balanced amp I would recommend you add it to your list ASAP.
wink_face.gif

You will also save a fair bit of cash compared to the others on your list!

Thanks. The Audio-gd looks good .. gotta look more into it. How is the tonality of this gem? I also see a that the voulme control is an up and down buttons.. I kinda of prefer volume knob.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #23 of 6,385
Quote:

Thanks. The Audio-gd looks good .. gotta look more into it. How is the tonality of this gem? I also see a that the voulme control is an up and down buttons.. I kinda of prefer volume knob.

Yes I agree the volume control takes a bit of getting use to but it works well and volume can also be controlled via the remote. Audio-gd give the technical reasons for it on their site.

With the LCD2.2's the NFB-7/Master-6 give a very powerful full bodied and dynamic sound. Great detail and control. Everything sounds very real and the bass is to die for!!
The tonal balance is supposed to be neutral and it sounds that way to me. There is no darkness to the Audio-gd or LCD's but I do use a silver cable on the phones as well which may have an effect on that.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #24 of 6,385
Quote:
Add the ALO RxIII to this list.
I still can't believe how good this little monster sounds with the LCD-3s. Source needs to be better than the CLAS, though.

Esoteric K01>>single ended>>ALO RxIII>>balanced Silver Dragon re-cabled LCD-3
L3000.gif

Ok I just added.. in fact I am very close to pulling the trigger to replace the almost 4 ++ year old RSA Hornet amp. I am also looing into the DX100.. out of curiousity, what is the thing that you got the ALO rx3 instead of the DX100?

I actually like the RSA Hornet sound signature very much and my current M1 HPA sound like that but in a more refine way .. The only cons is soundstage is a little too narrow .. Does the ALO rx 3 at least have the same kind of sparkle treble enerygy as hornet.. I do find the LCD-3 a little too warm sometime and the hornet kind of lift the high a little and balance it out for me.

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #25 of 6,385
Quote:

Yes I agree the volume control takes a bit of getting use to but it works well and volume can also be controlled via the remote. Audio-gd give the technical reasons for it on their site.

With the LCD2.2's the NFB-7/Master-6 give a very powerful full bodied and dynamic sound. Great detail and control. Everything sounds very real and the bass is to die for!!
The tonal balance is supposed to be neutral and it sounds that way to me. There is no darkness to the Audio-gd or LCD's but I do use a silver cable on the phones as well which may have an effect on that.

Thanks Nigeljames ! I am doing some research now on this amp.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #26 of 6,385
Quote:

Ok I just added.. in fact I am very close to pulling the trigger to replace the almost 4 ++ year old RSA Hornet amp. I am also looing into the DX100.. out of curiousity, what is the thing that you got the ALO rx3 instead of the DX100?

I actually like the RSA Hornet sound signature very much and my current M1 HPA sound like that but in a more refine way .. The only cons is soundstage is a little too narrow .. Does the ALO rx 3 at least have the same kind of sparkle treble enerygy as hornet.. I do find the LCD-3 a little too warm sometime and the hornet kind of lift the high a little and balance it out for me.

Just pulled the trigger on ALo rx3 .. now the wait game begins.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #27 of 6,385
Quote:
One thing I've found with the LCD-3 is that they will happily take every single upstream improvemrnt you can throw at your system, and in turn will give you some pretty impressive sonic results no matter how small that upgrade may be.

I think they are capable of being more transparent than most people give them credit for, simply because I find that the LCD-3 needs a little more time and involvement with everything upstream in order to get it to truly sing!

My initial reaction to my pair of LCD-3's was somewhat disappointing. 
With a little bit of time, expense, and some smart decision making, I've come full circle (rather the LCD-3 has), and I'm now enjoying the heck out of them!

--- Now if only they were as comfy as my HD800's...

i agree with this 100%.

i thought for the first while that the LCD-3 had a small and unfocused soundstage.
then i made some tweaks to my system:  a new power cord here, a new digital cable there, an upgraded power supply there.
and suddenly those improvements telegraph through to the LCD-3 more than any other can.

i would've called the HD800 the biggest prima donna of them all.
but now i'm not so sure.
the LCD-3 need to be fed some good stuff in order to get the good stuff back....

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #28 of 6,385
Quote:
i agree with this 100%.

i thought for the first while that the LCD-3 had a small and unfocused soundstage.
then i made some tweaks to my system:  a new power cord here, a new digital cable there, an upgraded power supply there.
and suddenly those improvements telegraph through to the LCD-3 more than any other can.

i would've called the HD800 the biggest prima donna of them all.
but now i'm not so sure.
the LCD-3 need to be fed some good stuff in order to get the good stuff back....

Agreed too 100%.

Jun 21, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #30 of 6,385
 ​
Now, I'm even more excited about my LCD-3, because even with my cheap DAC and AMP (Musical Fidelity's V-DAC II and V-CAN II), it sounds amazing.​
I have an SR-71b and hooked that up in place of my V-CAN II.  To me, it sounded much worse (much less clear, much less dynamic impact).​
This morning, I pre-ordered the Schiit Mjolnir - can't wait to see how that drives the LCD-3!​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back