Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #6,241 of 6,385
Love your enthusiasm! I have been away from headphone listening for a little while but you inspired me to turn on my FiiO M11 and Violectric amp and refresh my memory how my LCD-3F sounds again. Glad I did!
I wasn’t even aware Audeze refreshed this headphone. What’s different, new drivers?
Depends when you got yours. Recently all that changed is the pads. Upthread, some kind soul posted his response from Audeze about what happened in/after 2016.

Nov 23, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #6,243 of 6,385
I bought my LCD-3 used a couple of years ago. The original owner bought it new in 2017.
So then nothing changed but the pads since then.

Nov 23, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #6,245 of 6,385
Love your enthusiasm! I have been away from headphone listening for a little while but you inspired me to turn on my FiiO M11 and Violectric 220 amp and refresh my memory how my LCD-3F sounds again. Glad I did!
I wasn’t even aware Audeze refreshed this headphone. What’s different, new drivers?
Thanks @Tuneslover, I try to make my posts at least a little bit interesting to read. I’m gratified you enjoyed it.

As for changes, Id take @gimmeheadroom at his word, those details are lost on me other than the obvious - the headband and the earpads. Maybe someone with more tech savvy can chime in on any othe specific internal changes. It is widely know that they made big mods on the LCD-X drivers in 2021 (for better or worse), but I don’t think those changes applied to the 3.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #6,246 of 6,385
Nov 23, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #6,247 of 6,385
Thanks @Tuneslover, I try to make my posts at least a little bit interesting to read. I’m gratified you enjoyed it.

As for changes, Id take @gimmeheadroom at his word, those details are lost on me other than the obvious - the headband and the earpads. Maybe someone with more tech savvy can chime in on any othe specific internal changes. It is widely know that they made big mods on the LCD-X drivers in 2021 (for better or worse), but I don’t think those changes applied to the 3.
Oh I think the headstrap change was before that but maybe I'm wrong.

Nov 23, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #6,248 of 6,385

The driver changes were ONLY for the X and XC. No other headphone on our line.

Yes, the pad change was universal to ALL our headphones in a rolling change late 2020. The headbands were changed to suspension style long before.

Any other changes are parts/supply/cosmetic, and do not affect the sound or performance in any way.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 23, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #6,249 of 6,385

Yes, the pad change was universal to ALL our headphones in a rolling change late 2020. The headbands were changed to suspension style long before.

Any other changes are parts/supply/cosmetic, and do not affect the sound or performance in any way.
So that means unit to unit variance is significant from run to run. My 2018 LCD3 sounded overly warm, lacked resolutions and the mid range lacked a sense of realism and palpablility. These negative traits were not present on the one I just got back in September this year. I didn’t change amp or source during the time.

So my take away: if you keep buying LCD3s, good things will happen.

Nov 23, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #6,250 of 6,385
So that means unit to unit variance is significant from run to run. My 2018 LCD3 sounded overly warm, lacked resolutions and the mid range lacked a sense of realism and palpablility. These negative traits were not present on the one I just got back in September this year. I didn’t change amp or source during the time.

So my take away: if you keep buying LCD3s, good things will happen.
Our unit to unit variance is quite consistent (+ or - 1db here or there), the pad swap in late 2020 however did affect the sound especially at 3khz because as most people know, pads do affect the sound quite a bit. I would recommend you put new pads on that 2018 unit.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Nov 23, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #6,251 of 6,385
Our unit to unit variance is quite consistent (+ or - 1db here or there), the pad swap in late 2020 however did affect the sound especially at 3khz because as most people know, pads do affect the sound quite a bit. I would recommend you put new pads on that 2018 unit.
Well, I sold the 2018 one in 2019 because I couldn’t live with it 🤣 I guess I will never know now.

Nov 26, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #6,253 of 6,385
I use a reasonably priced aftermarket balanced XLR 2.5m cable with LCD-3, although have just bought a preloved "Audeze ADZ6B4 Balanced XLR 4 Pin 2.5m Cable" from eBay as I wanted to see what a "stock" cable sounds like before I consider looking for a preloved Premium LCD Cable on the classifieds.

I wondered if anyone has any experience with ADZ6B4 sound quality wise that they could share thoughts on?

Nov 26, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #6,254 of 6,385

Thank you for the explanation. I purchased my LCD-3 used from a fellow Audeze owner. It did have that the old style headband on it but I purchased the new style headband shortly after purchasing the LCD-3, it’s much more comfortable.

Theses headphones have the brown cushiony ear pads which are still on them now but I did purchase a replacement one but I was sent the black ear pads identical to my LCD-2C.

Nov 26, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #6,255 of 6,385
I use a reasonably priced aftermarket balanced XLR 2.5m cable with LCD-3, although have just bought a preloved "Audeze ADZ6B4 Balanced XLR 4 Pin 2.5m Cable" from eBay as I wanted to see what a "stock" cable sounds like before I consider looking for a preloved Premium LCD Cable on the classifieds.

I wondered if anyone has any experience with ADZ6B4 sound quality wise that they could share thoughts on?

The stock Audeze cables are fine. They're not the most beautiful cables in the world but they're fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back