Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #6,001 of 6,385
Depends what you are looking for.
If you want elementar deep bass, clear highs, slightly recessed mids, and not afraid of the weight, then yes.
If you want unprecedented stage, go for HD800S. Bass missing.
In the Arya as well.
I cannot say anything about the MG.
If you add up a little more budget you might get a used Meze Empyrean, which is my favourite.
Mostly agree with that. The Arya and HD800S are different headphones to the LCD-3, as they seem to mostly focus on staging with a brighter signature (the Clear as well I think, though in my experience with Focal headphones they usually stage quite small). In fact, I purchased an HD800S specifically to get something complete different to my Audezes - and they surely are!

Go grab an LCD-3 if you really want that lush, romantic and full sound, with a relaxed treble. Otherwise, the 'newer' models like the LCD-X and LCD-XC offer better value for money. Despite the price difference, I can't really say that my 2015 LCD-XC is at a lower level than my 2019 LCD-3 technically, though I do still prefer the LCD-3.

Nov 14, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #6,002 of 6,385
I had some free time this weekend to EQ the LCD-3 with Oratory1990 settings using autoEQ and moode made it super easy. All I can say is WOW, they sound incredible. Gone is the dark sound and replaced with an open, balanced, full sound from low to high they are smooth it's a totally different headphone. Putting the EQ'd LCD-3 head-to-head with my Utopia (no EQ) it was close. The LCD-3 lacked the speed, resolution and precision of the Utopia, but make up for it with beautiful bass, wider soundstage and lower resolution helps with poorly recorded songs. I had them up for sale but I think I will keep them, its a game-changer with EQ and while I lambasted some for EQ'ing summit-fi 4k headphones, these are a steal on the used market if you can EQ and the harman target is your thing.

Nov 14, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #6,003 of 6,385
So having tried both 2021 pleather and genuine leather, which do you feel would last longer? Which of the two seems more comfortable? Does the 2021 pads include the felt layer?
Historically the genuine leathers should deteriorate much slower. For me the leather is more comfortable since I prefer that material over pleather. At least on Fazor models, there is also a probability of the pleather version touching the ears though. I have not back to back compared pleather vs leather 2021 pads on the same headphone to know for sure if I prefer one sound wise though. Don't know about the felt since I had the factory change the pads on my unit.

Nov 14, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #6,004 of 6,385
A LCD-3 PF just got sold for $450! Someone got the deal of the year.
Heh, I definitely misjudged how well my LCD-3 would hold its value. Must be the allure of the PF? Pretty sure I saw other LCD-3's that were listed for around $700 and weren't seeing any interest, so I figured I had to offer a much better price.

Can't believe how much interest I got in that listing. I think I had about 15 inquiries in the first 15 minutes.

After I closed the listing, I realized that I also have a Q-Audio French Silk cable. Bought it for $275. Since I don't use it anymore (I now use an identical cable but with a balanced termination rather than single-ended) I decided to throw it in for free.

Deal of the year you say? Is there an award for that? :wink:

Nov 14, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #6,005 of 6,385
The guy I bought the LCD-3s from have a pair of unused 2017 fazor drivers (new in box) he`s willing to part with for $380. Is this a good deal? How are the reliability on the 2017 drivers? I was thinking of either having a backup pair of drivers or maybe buy a LCD-2/3 with broken driver(s) and swap them in to A/B pre-fazor - fazor.

On another note, even when I switched to the stock, much stiffer pads from my LCD-2, I still have issues with hearing my pulse, like a closed back with good seal. Are the LCD-3 "more closed" than LCD-2? Never had this problem with the LCD-2s.

Here´s a photo of the LCD-2 (bottom) and LCD-3 (top) I took during the pad swap. Looks to be more closed allright.

Attachments

• 20211114_115356.jpg
    20211114_115356.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Nov 15, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #6,006 of 6,385
The guy I bought the LCD-3s from have a pair of unused 2017 fazor drivers (new in box) he`s willing to part with for $380. Is this a good deal? How are the reliability on the 2017 drivers? I was thinking of either having a backup pair of drivers or maybe buy a LCD-2/3 with broken driver(s) and swap them in to A/B pre-fazor - fazor.

On another note, even when I switched to the stock, much stiffer pads from my LCD-2, I still have issues with hearing my pulse, like a closed back with good seal. Are the LCD-3 "more closed" than LCD-2? Never had this problem with the LCD-2s.

Here´s a photo of the LCD-2 (bottom) and LCD-3 (top) I took during the pad swap. Looks to be more closed allright.
$380 is a phenomenal deal for any LCD-3, let alone for a Pre Fazor.

Nov 15, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #6,008 of 6,385
Ah, my mistake, I read over that too quickly.

It’s quite the gamble, if they fail you can’t get Fazor-less drivers anywhere else other than the used market. So if you really enjoy the sound, enjoy it while it lasts.

Nov 21, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #6,009 of 6,385
I received the Apex Peak+Volcano PSU a week ago. Listening to the LCD-3PF with it. I genuinely feel after years of being on the Headphone circus, I finally found a headphone and an amp that ticks all the boxes. End game for me. So much so that I plan to use the Apex as a preamp as well. Fast, dynamic, neutral, lush and with that Bass (Sylvania 6SN7GTB). What ‘Darkness’? A bit laid back, but not dark. Lush and detailed.
Listening to Lana del ray - Young and beautiful was phenomenal on this setup. When you stop analysing and just get lost in the music…

But it saddens me that both these products are no longer in production. I honestly think both Apex audio and Audeze need to bring these products back into production (even in limited runs). Even the original HE6 deserves to be brought back. No surprises that OG HE6s are selling for $1200-1300 now. I think LCD-3PF will follow this trend too. IMO.

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #6,010 of 6,385
I'm looking at buying a set of LCD-3. I listen to a lot of EDM. I was looking to find something that has great bass, both quality/quantity and slam. I tried the Fostex TH-900 as i heard thats got some of the best bass quantity/impact however the highs just ripped my head apart, i am very sensitive to sibilance.
Then i tried the LCD-3 and i was just in awe. I really loved it. It did lack a little bit of the bass slam but the quantity and clarity was there.
For someone that will be primarily listening to EDM, music such as Tipper, what audeze lcd model would you recommend? I have heard that the LCD-X may be better for EDM as it has a bit more bass impact, but also bit more treble and is more analytical. I really liked the LCD-3 'liquid' feeling to the sound, and how gentle it was on my ears.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #6,011 of 6,385
And also, what dac/amps would people recommend for LCD-3 for primarily listening to electronic dance music? I listened to it through an ifi diablo and i just felt if it had the tiniest bit more bass impact it would be my perfect headphones. I did eq the bass up which increased the quantity, but it didnt really increase the 'impact'.

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #6,012 of 6,385
I really enjoyed the LCD-3 out of the original A&K Kann. Now I am using it with Tone2 Pro + Romi audio BX2 Plus.
However, I would even more recommend Meze Empyrean or Meze Liric, especially if you looking for more slam.

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #6,013 of 6,385
And also, what dac/amps would people recommend for LCD-3 for primarily listening to electronic dance music? I listened to it through an ifi diablo and i just felt if it had the tiniest bit more bass impact it would be my perfect headphones. I did eq the bass up which increased the quantity, but it didnt really increase the 'impact'.
The Taurus Mk2 amp works well with the LCD3’s. They can be found for less than $900 US second hand.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #6,014 of 6,385
Have you tried Equalizing?

Btw, just ordered the new headband and 2021 pads for the Pre Fazor.

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #6,015 of 6,385
I know the LCD-3 has been around a decade but the 2021 version does sound much better for me. It has better balance (less dark) and more resolution than the LCD-3s I've owned in the past. I owned two others (maybe 3? cannot remember). I love the new LCD-X and LCD-XC 2021 versions, best in that lineage but the LCD-3 outclasses them slightly with better resolution and sweet midrange (especially vocals). The X series is more neutral/better-balanced though but for the first time the LCD-3 actually sounds like a more expensive / refined headphone than the X / XC (which didn't happen previously when I owned all of them together before multiple times). I think it's Audeze improving things over time (lots of silent revisions). Anyway just want to say I'm very happy with my LCD-3 and that it competes with the Empyrean for easy listening, lush midrange, bringing lots of pleasure and good enough balance, the upper-mids are not uncomfortably dark/stuffy any more. Could also be the newly updated open-cell-foam pads as those seem to lift the upper-mids from all of the Audezes. It took the 4Z to the next level with much better balance / clarity for me, but yeah having said that if balanced tonality is important to you, you should not be looking at Audeze or if you do just get the X. If you're looking for midrange cream / pleasure in listening LCD-3 is hard to beat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back