Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #5,986 of 6,385
Funny, I used to own a SR007 MK1 once upon a time. Did everything well except Bass. Yes it was quality but lacked dynamic type quantity.

I am curious about putting the new pads as well. Will definitely be getting the new headband soon.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #5,987 of 6,385
Funny, I used to own a SR007 MK1 once upon a time. Did everything well except Bass. Yes it was quality but lacked dynamic type quantity.

I am curious about putting the new pads as well. Will definitely be getting the new headband soon.

The headband is indeed a must for comfort. I have had one older leathee headband that was fine in comfort, but most are extremely stiff and harsh.

My Mk2.9 does not ligt quantity and also not dynamics (with Blu-tack).

Nov 10, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #5,988 of 6,385
I just got a pair of LCD-3 PF in pretty mint condition. It came with the brown pads. They are a bit worn and insanly soft (compared to the stock pads of my LCD-2 PF). So soft in fact, that I hear my own pulse because of the seal, like I do when wearing closed backs with leather pads. Are the new pads from Audeze a good match for these old PF`s? I think they are a bit stiffer(?), which would suit me fine.

Nov 11, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #5,989 of 6,385
I just got a pair of LCD-3 PF in pretty mint condition. It came with the brown pads. They are a bit worn and insanly soft (compared to the stock pads of my LCD-2 PF). So soft in fact, that I hear my own pulse because of the seal, like I do when wearing closed backs with leather pads. Are the new pads from Audeze a good match for these old PF`s? I think they are a bit stiffer(?), which would suit me fine.

The new pads are very soft/squishy, they compress much more than the old brown pads, creating more of a seal around your ears.

The new pads compressed so much, that my ears touched the Fazors and caused me discomfort after a short while of use.

I picked up a Fazor pair with the old brown pads and my ears do not touch the Fazors.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #5,990 of 6,385
That`s a shame. I don`t have this problem with the Dekoni Elite sheepskin that I used on my LCD-2 before. The LCD-3s are pre-fazor, so it`ll probably be ok ear-touching-wise.

Nov 11, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #5,991 of 6,385
That`s a shame. I don`t have this problem with the Dekoni Elite sheepskin that I used on my LCD-2 before. The LCD-3s are pre-fazor, so it`ll probably be ok ear-touching-wise.
I’ve owned the LCD-2C and LCD-GX with the new pads and had no issues with my ears touching anything, since there are no Fazors in those models.

Nov 11, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #5,992 of 6,385
I picked up a LCD-3 PF recently and the previous owner replaced the pads with Audeze's 2021 leather pads, which give it a bit of treble glare to my ears. I still have a pristine pair of brown vegan pads, but I have trouble deciding which of my headphones would be vegan-worthy (LCD-2 rev. 2, the black vegans are nearing their end; LCD-3 pf; or my HE-6 4S, velpads sound fine to my ears).

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #5,993 of 6,385
I picked up a LCD-3 PF recently and the previous owner replaced the pads with Audeze's 2021 leather pads, which give it a bit of treble glare to my ears. I still have a pristine pair of brown vegan pads, but I have trouble deciding which of my headphones would be vegan-worthy (LCD-2 rev. 2, the black vegans are nearing their end; LCD-3 pf; or my HE-6 4S, velpads sound fine to my ears).
I think I can get ahold of some Audeze vegan pads, are they better than the leather ones? I don`t think I would have the pulse problem with those. How would you compare your 2s to you 3s? I find that they sound very much alike actually. The 2s have a bit more bass and are a touch darker.

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #5,994 of 6,385
I want to make a slight correction, the squishy pads I had were all the Protein Leather Pads. I've heard from a couple of people that the Genuine Leather Pads do not compress as much as the Protein Leather pads.

Nov 12, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #5,995 of 6,385
I want to make a slight correction, the squishy pads I had were all the Protein Leather Pads. I've heard from a couple of people that the Genuine Leather Pads do not compress as much as the Protein Leather pads.
This has been my experience so far. I didn't understand the issues with ears touching fazors with 2021 pads until I got a pleather 2021 LCD-X loaner. My 2018 LCD-2F with genuine leather 2021 pads does not touch.

Nov 13, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #5,997 of 6,385
This has been my experience so far. I didn't understand the issues with ears touching fazors with 2021 pads until I got a pleather 2021 LCD-X loaner. My 2018 LCD-2F with genuine leather 2021 pads does not touch.
So having tried both 2021 pleather and genuine leather, which do you feel would last longer? Which of the two seems more comfortable? Does the 2021 pads include the felt layer?

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #5,998 of 6,385
Are the Audeze LCD-3's still competitive in the $1500-2000 bracket in 2021 (soon 2022) almost 10 years after release?

Are newer Audeze models a better investment?

I'm also considering the Focal Clear MG, Sennheiser HD800S, and HiFi Man Arya.

Nov 13, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #5,999 of 6,385
Are the Audeze LCD-3's still competitive in the $1500-2000 bracket in 2021 (soon 2022) almost 10 years after release?

Are newer Audeze models a better investment?

I'm also considering the Focal Clear MG, Sennheiser HD800S, and HiFi Man Arya.
Depends what you are looking for.
If you want elementar deep bass, clear highs, slightly recessed mids, and not afraid of the weight, then yes.
If you want unprecedented stage, go for HD800S. Bass missing.
In the Arya as well.
I cannot say anything about the MG.
If you add up a little more budget you might get a used Meze Empyrean, which is my favourite.

Nov 13, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #6,000 of 6,385
I think I can get ahold of some Audeze vegan pads, are they better than the leather ones? I don`t think I would have the pulse problem with those. How would you compare your 2s to you 3s? I find that they sound very much alike actually. The 2s have a bit more bass and are a touch darker.
Funny that my experience with the LCD-3PF compared to the LCD-2 rev. 2 mirrors yours. I told the previous owner that his LCD-3PF's sound pretty darn close to my LCD-2 rev. 2 (vegan pads) except with a bit more treble clarity that loses just a bit of the murkiness (and a little-bit of romance) from the LCD-2 rev. 2. They are a slightly more neutral LCD-2 to my ears without losing the trademark dark, lush Audeze house sound.

After spending more time with them in my setup (BF -> LAuX/LP), I found that the LCD-3PF has slightly less bass than my LCD-2 rev. 2 (like a smidge less), and the LCD-3PF bass is a little bit cleaner. The most notable difference between the two is the treble clarity with the LCD-3PF's. So far, the biggest negative I have with my LCD-3PF is the slight treble glare that rears its head with classical tracks, which is absent in my LCD-2 revs. 1 and 2. Is that the product of the 2021 pads on the LCD-3PF? I don't know. Was it worth spending the extra dough for a LCD-3PF to add to my collection? I cannot say that it was, as I'd probably be perfectly happy with my LCD-2's and leave it at that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back