Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jul 15, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #5,941 of 6,385
Got my 2nd hand LCD and very impressive I like these more then the LCD 4. The two LCD 4 I went through didn't have the low bass like the 3 does. It's very deep and vibrates the air inside sounding more like a subwoofer.
These almost do what you do with the 1266 by breaking the seal and increasing bass.
I am a bit sceptical.
I tried the LCD-4 out of a TT2-MScaler combo and I tried two different LCD-3s as well. To me the LCD-4 had superior bass clarity.

Jul 15, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #5,943 of 6,385
I am a bit sceptical.
I tried the LCD-4 out of a TT2-MScaler combo and I tried two different LCD-3s as well. To me the LCD-4 had superior bass clarity.
Bass clarity? Too me bass is suppose to thump. My midrange and highs are the clarity. Did you compete in car audio. I competed in IASCA pro SQ my subs crossed at 32.5 hz at 12db slope my midbass took over at 40hz with with 48db slope. 30 band eq 1/3 octaves left/right. When it comes to tuning cars trump all in difficulty try making center image for two judge sittingI. know my bass, and competing for Zapco on Driving Force taught me a lot.

Jul 15, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #5,944 of 6,385
Bass clarity? Too me bass is suppose to thump. My midrange and highs are the clarity. Did you compete in car audio. I competed in IASCA pro SQ my subs crossed at 32.5 hz at 12db slope my midbass took over at 40hz with with 48db slope. 30 band eq 1/3 octaves left/right. When it comes to tuning cars trump all in difficulty try making center image for two judge sittingI. know my bass, and competing for Zapco on Driving Force taught me a lot.
I am not sure what you are talking about and I have zero experience with car audio.
All I know is I am looking for the sweet spot between bass clarity and impact/weight in headphone audio. And in this regard the LCD-4 is superior to the LCD-3.
Both are great headphones though.

Jul 15, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #5,945 of 6,385
If it LCD 4 is superior why don't I like it? When you look at ZMF there is no superior model each one is different.
PXL_20210715_205128526.jpg

I thought Woo WA33 Elite was the best until hearing WA5 LE upgraded which was missing harmonic distortion that was being deleted by the balanced circuit design of WA33 and May DAC. Now I see the Dragon lvl3 is even better with LCD 3 where 1266 sounds better on WA5. So no superior.
16263900833894746865831268608350.jpg

Jul 16, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #5,946 of 6,385
If it LCD 4 is superior why don't I like it? When you look at ZMF there is no superior model each one is different.
I thought Woo WA33 Elite was the best until hearing WA5 LE upgraded which was missing harmonic distortion that was being deleted by the balanced circuit design of WA33 and May DAC. Now I see the Dragon lvl3 is even better with LCD 3 where 1266 sounds better on WA5. So no superior.

Hi Bonddam,

Mind to share why you choose Dragon III over something like Citadel? (For LCD3 pairing, or any headphone you own actually)

1266 indeed sound superb through WA5!

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #5,947 of 6,385
Hi Bonddam,

Mind to share why you choose Dragon III over something like Citadel? (For LCD3 pairing, or any headphone you own actually)

1266 indeed sound superb through WA5!
Waite till SoCal which hopefully will introduce the Dragon. But Citadel was good but lacks the power of the Dragon. Dragon tube rolling changes the sound vs Tomas not recommending rolling on his hybrid. The current of 1 amp with only 5 watts plays the music better in dynamics speed detail holographic natural organic warm you name it it’s there. Design has four switches with four dips per switch switching circuit to go from 12bh7 to 6dj8(6922). Last switch is for grounding which has four options. I have no noise in my supply voltage to my amps so I use standard ground. Volume is optical using light so volume changes at a more linear level so no more I raised it too much. Jeff Wells does not like balanced designs all of his amps are unbalanced. Reason is lost of harmonic distortion. Which guys like Torq who is from headphones.com explained same thing. It’s why he owns wa234 over WA33. These harmonics are what create foot tapping which I discovered after switching from the WA33 to the wa5. Only benefit on balanced is separation. But I don’t feel either of my two amps suffer.

Jul 17, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #5,948 of 6,385
Waite till SoCal which hopefully will introduce the Dragon. But Citadel was good but lacks the power of the Dragon. Dragon tube rolling changes the sound vs Tomas not recommending rolling on his hybrid. The current of 1 amp with only 5 watts plays the music better in dynamics speed detail holographic natural organic warm you name it it’s there. Design has four switches with four dips per switch switching circuit to go from 12bh7 to 6dj8(6922). Last switch is for grounding which has four options. I have no noise in my supply voltage to my amps so I use standard ground. Volume is optical using light so volume changes at a more linear level so no more I raised it too much. Jeff Wells does not like balanced designs all of his amps are unbalanced. Reason is lost of harmonic distortion. Which guys like Torq who is from headphones.com explained same thing. It’s why he owns wa234 over WA33. These harmonics are what create foot tapping which I discovered after switching from the WA33 to the wa5. Only benefit on balanced is separation. But I don’t feel either of my two amps suffer.
Thanks for detail explanation!

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #5,949 of 6,385
Just to add Wells realized he needs a product that starts at 1500 but bare bones then shooting up the bang at 2500. Then going for 5500 which adds his best components. So you have an amp that fully plays Susvara then with it gain stage be silent and play LCD x. The gain is four switches because the tubes are dual toroid. I can hear a difference from lvl 1 to the 2 because different transformers and going from .5 amp to 1 amp. I've compared what the sound was like on Cavilli Liquid Platinum and that amp was not holographic. The Citadel was the same sounded more solid state.

Jul 17, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #5,950 of 6,385
Just to add Wells realized he needs a product that starts at 1500 but bare bones then shooting up the bang at 2500. Then going for 5500 which adds his best components. So you have an amp that fully plays Susvara then with it gain stage be silent and play LCD x. The gain is four switches because the tubes are dual toroid. I can hear a difference from lvl 1 to the 2 because different transformers and going from .5 amp to 1 amp. I've compared what the sound was like on Cavilli Liquid Platinum and that amp was not holographic. The Citadel was the same sounded more solid state.
That's nice indeed. I always like Milo sound for big planar headphone (especially LCD-4), but this amp is troublesome for something easier to drive, produce too much hiss on background. Glad they fix the problem with Dragon.

Jul 17, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #5,951 of 6,385
He actually has to make a better HeadTrip as the Dragon is 90-95% of that amp. Milo I don't feel it's needed. LCD 3 is pure magic everything thing is amazing that midrange takes on a creepy presence by filling your mind with warmth and reality.

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #5,952 of 6,385
A couple of days ago I took delivery of some open box LCD3‘s at a ridiculous savings of $800.

Of course I was leery about why they were being sold so cheap but gambled and bought them any because the authorized dealer is very credible and has a very liberal 60 day return policy. So, it was worth the risk.

Upon arrival I opened the box, then the travel case and was surprised to see how great they looked. Everything looked new as there were no blemishes or issues. All the accessories were included. I played them and they sounded amazing.

So, after all of this I’m still thinking to myself this is unusual that a highly respected company can sell something this cheaply.

The next thing I did was to call Audeze to provide them the SN and to my surprise they were manufactured this past May…not May of 2020 but this past May. The Audeze salesperson asked me who the dealer was and I told him that it was dealer xxxxxxx. He then told me yeah they’re awesome and is one of their best.

I still can’t believe that I bought these at such a cost savings and I must say I’m winning off the field!

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #5,953 of 6,385
Did lcd 3 get the update like lcd x?

Aug 19, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #5,954 of 6,385
A couple of days ago I took delivery of some open box LCD3‘s at a ridiculous savings of $800.

Of course I was leery about why they were being sold so cheap but gambled and bought them any because the authorized dealer is very credible and has a very liberal 60 day return policy. So, it was worth the risk.

Upon arrival I opened the box, then the travel case and was surprised to see how great they looked. Everything looked new as there were no blemishes or issues. All the accessories were included. I played them and they sounded amazing.

So, after all of this I’m still thinking to myself this is unusual that a highly respected company can sell something this cheaply.

The next thing I did was to call Audeze to provide them the SN and to my surprise they were manufactured this past May…not May of 2020 but this past May. The Audeze salesperson asked me who the dealer was and I told him that it was dealer xxxxxxx. He then told me yeah they’re awesome and is one of their best.

I still can’t believe that I bought these at such a cost savings and I must say I’m winning off the field!
Update:

I have since sold them to move to the LCD-4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back