Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
May 15, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #5,491 of 6,385
Audeze's graphs provide useful reference and I believe they have been consistently using the same system and measurement technique for a decade now (I could be wrong). I have their graphs for various Audezes I have heard or owned over the past decade, and I know exactly what I need to EQ based on the graph they send me for my specific drivers.

Could you upload the Audeze graph for reference?

2821864.png
We're going to have to disagree on the usefulness of reference. While the graphs might be from the same system (and I believe that they have used the same system for years), there isn't a disclosure on the compensation curve nor smoothing used. Unless other headphones from other companies are also measured on the same system, it's hard to evaluate their measuring rig's tendencies.

Measurements also don't tell the whole story, especially FR curves. Everyone knows about the QC issues Audeze has had in the past. I've seen the measurements of some of the grade F headphones, and the FR measurements from Audeze don't look bad. Looking at spectrograms/CSDs tells a different story, and our ears definitely can tell the difference. Thankfully, it seems that starting the 2016 revisions, Audeze has banished most of the QC ghost that plagued them (congratulations to Audeze).

Good on you if you can use the graphs to EQ; I just use the stock tuning. I actually think the upper mid dip is needed on Audezes; to my ears they just sound unnatural when EQ'd flat. YMMV.

And just for the record; I love my LCD-3. It nails down my preferences nearly perfectly. It's forgiving to source and sings as long as you provide it with the proper amplification. It has made some non-audiophile friends hate their generic stuff. I would give it my highest recommendation (yes, even over the LCD-4 I briefly heard; blasphemous, I know). I just wouldn't call it a warm/dark headphone (which is what my post of the graph was in response to). Maybe the slightest touch of warmth with sparkle in the treble is a better way to put it.

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #5,492 of 6,385
I EQ to Harmon curve, not flat. For your FR, I would initially start with mid q (q<2) dip at 9k with mild (say -1db) negative treble shelf from 9k. I would probably do a tiny bump at 3khz, q between 1 and 2. That's it. This is the FR before the latest re voicing, which made LCD-3 sound more open and extended but require a bit heavier EQ to sound natural and restore the mid range magic.

To clarify, the Audeze graph is compensated but Harmon curve is based on absolute measurement, you will need to do some mental math to convert ... Your version of LCD-3 is already very close to the Harmon curve based on my experience.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #5,493 of 6,385
I have to admit two things: I've literally zero experience with something that sounds like the Harmon target, and I'm still learning a LOT about my own personal preferences. Initially I thought I liked headphones that were tilted dark, but LCD-3's made from 2016 onwards are not dark, at least to the best of my knowledge. However, it's my favorite headphone so far. I really need to go out and try some other stuff before making more judgment calls (although that being said, I really liked what I heard with the ZMF Auteur).

From what it sounds like here, I wouldn't rule out that I might like something close to the Harmon target. Goes without saying, but different strokes for different folks.

May 16, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #5,494 of 6,385
This is a wonderful headphone -- as are most of the Audeze headphones, but the 550 grams in weight drops the ball for me.
I think that their sales would go way up if they made revisions to their headphones that reduced the weight by at least 100-150 grams.

May 16, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #5,495 of 6,385
I have to admit two things: I've literally zero experience with something that sounds like the Harmon target, and I'm still learning a LOT about my own personal preferences. Initially I thought I liked headphones that were tilted dark, but LCD-3's made from 2016 onwards are not dark, at least to the best of my knowledge. However, it's my favorite headphone so far. I really need to go out and try some other stuff before making more judgment calls (although that being said, I really liked what I heard with the ZMF Auteur).

From what it sounds like here, I wouldn't rule out that I might like something close to the Harmon target. Goes without saying, but different strokes for different folks.
Agreed on LCD-3. To my ears, Audeze loosely follows the Harmon curve. I have not heard any other headphone that I like better than LCD-3 -- I like LCD4z just as much but not more. Not a big fan of electrostatic - spent good time with stax, the original and the new Orpheus and baby Orpheus - HE1 was a huge disappointment for me (call me biased but I can do better for $50k).

Remember, you will never be happy with any pair of headphone, DAC, amp (add any other gear) all of the time, no matter the cost. If you are happy 80-90% of the time but unhappy less than 10%, that's about as good as you will ever get in this hobby regardless of cost.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #5,496 of 6,385
Here's an interesting experiment I stumbled on. Play something that sounds great to you on the LCD-3. Now cover the outside of each earcup with each hand for about 10-20 secs. If you're like me, the sound will initially be horrendous, but will get somewhat better over time. Now take your hands off the earcups. If you're like me, the sound will initially be horrendous (in a different way from before), but will gradually get better and better until it eventually sounds great again.

This experiment is a quick and easy way to see how much perception adapts over various timeframes. And if you do the experiment, please report your findings so that we can all compare notes!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #5,497 of 6,385
I’ve searched for an answer to the following question but haven’t found an answer.

I have a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball, a tube amp that works best with high impedance headphones. I have LCD-3 headphones that are low impedance. I use them with the Audeze Deckard and JDS Labs “EL DAC”.

Question - has anyone used the Bottlehead Crack hooked to a solid state amp like the Deckard? This would make the Bottlehead Crack a preamp to the Deckard. The way I would attach them is using a 3.5 mm to RCA cord, from the Bottlehead Crack headphone jack to the Deckard RCA input.

I’m wondering if this will add the “tube” sound to the Deckard?

Aug 12, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #5,498 of 6,385
I’ve searched for an answer to the following question but haven’t found an answer.

I have a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball, a tube amp that works best with high impedance headphones. I have LCD-3 headphones that are low impedance. I use them with the Audeze Deckard and JDS Labs “EL DAC”.

Question - has anyone used the Bottlehead Crack hooked to a solid state amp like the Deckard? This would make the Bottlehead Crack a preamp to the Deckard. The way I would attach them is using a 3.5 mm to RCA cord, from the Bottlehead Crack headphone jack to the Deckard RCA input.

I’m wondering if this will add the “tube” sound to the Deckard?

Sort of. Keep in mind that gear will always have sins of omission and commission, and chaining amps together like this may actually be deleterious to the end experience (most likely will just be a sidegrade; different, but not better).

The only way to really find out if this gives you what you're looking for is to try it.

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #5,500 of 6,385
Sometimes preamps can work wonderfully. It really depends on the gear synergy. The Feliks Audio Euforia, for example, actually worked amazingly well as a preamp if you were looking for some tube bloom and warmth and are treble-sensitive (or have a bright setup). Granted, I've only tried this with speakers (my speaker rig needs something like a preamp since otherwise I won't have a volume control); I've never quite seen the point of adding a preamp to a headphone setup.

I can't stress enough that this really comes down synergy; sometimes gear, while individually good pieces, just don't fit together. I would never pair a Metrum Pavane to a Euforia; the end sound would be this bloomy rich mess.

Of course, this also comes down to how transparent your transducers are. I think the LCD-3 scales best with amps and DACs that are very resolving of fine details since it doesn't seem to change much it tone no matter what the DAC and amp is, but is resolving enough to present details.

Aug 12, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #5,501 of 6,385
Hi, could i ask an urgent question? Does new drivers from 2016 (Or newest), are different/better from old Lcd-3 with updated drivers (2016 or newest)??

Aug 28, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #5,504 of 6,385

Users who are viewing this thread

Back