Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
May 4, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #5,461 of 6,385
Anyone who tried LCD-3 with nice sounding system, with Optical Toslink connection? You think sound really nice even vs Usb?
I would use it only on Toslink..
I'm interested in Lcd-3, would like to know when to find a good sale for new pair, in Italy, or how to get one used.. I see 1100€ used here on Italy but no warranty, i'm afraid to buy one without warranty..

Go to the pages below and type in Audeze, LCD3 or equivalent in the search box. Some of them will have warranty some don’t.

https://www.head-fi.org/forums/headphones-for-sale-trade.6550/
https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=audeze+lcd3

May 9, 2019 at 3:45 AM Post #5,462 of 6,385
Just picked up a used like new set from the exchange and can't wait to get them. My main amp is an Auralic Taurus MKII. Would there be any benefit to getting a balanced XLR cable for them or would it sound the same as using the 1/4" SE?

Get the balanced cable. Just like any other planar, the LCD-3 benefits from more power. Assuming your amp has equivalent sonic properties in both balanced-out and SE-out, the output that outputs more power will always be preferred.

For those that have a 2016 manufacture LCD-3 or after, what is your experience with its tonality? As I gained more experience and listened to different cans, I've come to the realization that my LCD-3 is the most neutral headphone I own, and is the brightest/most neutral Audeze that I've ever heard. I've had friends whose opinions I trust listen to them as well, and they told me the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, they still sound like Audezes, and are still tilted very slightly warm, but I can't say that these are anything like the dark Audezes of the past.

May 9, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #5,463 of 6,385
With all of the new high end headphones to hit the market, it has made the LCD-3 an unbelievable deal for what you are rewarded with sound wise.
This is really an amazing headphone and the prices on the second hand market makes this one of the best bang for the buck headphones IMHO.

May 9, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #5,464 of 6,385
At last, I am a new owner of the LCD3fs (Serial 28xxxxxx)
Strange how many classify them as dark sounding HPs, I find its signature bright warm, more balanced like the HD800S, but a little more fluid, less expansive soundstage. Reminds me of AD2000 as well...
*edit, to add on, does anyone know if the Aeteur Pads or Dekoni Sheepskin suits LCD3 better? Looking for something thicker like the stock ones

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #5,465 of 6,385
With all of the new high end headphones to hit the market, it has made the LCD-3 an unbelievable deal for what you are rewarded with sound wise.
This is really an amazing headphone and the prices on the second hand market makes this one of the best bang for the buck headphones IMHO.

You are probably right. I slightly prefer aeolus, but i think it is more than subjective

May 9, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #5,466 of 6,385
Get the balanced cable. Just like any other planar, the LCD-3 benefits from more power. Assuming your amp has equivalent sonic properties in both balanced-out and SE-out, the output that outputs more power will always be preferred.

For those that have a 2016 manufacture LCD-3 or after, what is your experience with its tonality? As I gained more experience and listened to different cans, I've come to the realization that my LCD-3 is the most neutral headphone I own, and is the brightest/most neutral Audeze that I've ever heard. I've had friends whose opinions I trust listen to them as well, and they told me the same thing.

Don't get me wrong, they still sound like Audezes, and are still tilted very slightly warm, but I can't say that these are anything like the dark Audezes of the past.
I Wonder too, because i see that lcd-3 have pretty neutral bass and mids (10hz to 1Khz), and with EL8 Titanium i currently have the bass is a little bit elevated (Don't like elevated bass), while the Mobius is very flat too 10hz to 1khz, i find the signature very emotional because that, but a little too bright treble.. Hope the lcd-3 don't have bass elevated, but i see on dyiaudioheaven is not that flat 10hz-1khz while on Audeze graphs is super flat.. So dunno??
Would like to know even if the new revision is not too bright with a very nice NEUTRAL system, and with ALL Silver cables.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #5,468 of 6,385
I have the Mobius and the lcd-3f.
The Mobius has more mid bass than the 3f in my setup.
Deep bass is better extended and more detailed on 3f.
The 3f are more even sounding overall, Mobius more fun sounding to my ears.
Love both
Thanks.. Soundstage on Mobius i remember was Very congested even for a closed.. On Lcd-3 is wide and open right?
Which is more dynamic? Lcd-3 or mobius? I found Mobius very dynamic on flat mode without 3d
I hope treble on lcd-3 is just a little less then Mobius with flat :)

May 9, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #5,469 of 6,385
I don't think the Mobius is congested compared to other top Bluetooth hp.
I also have the b&o H9 and Sony 1000 v3, but they are gathering dust.
I use LDAC on highest setting and Tidal hi-res.
I also prefer the Mobius over the Nightowl's and he-560 with high end amp/dac.
Maybe I just love the sound sig. of the Mobius.
The Mobius inspired me to get the lcd3f, and the 3f with good amp and dac is much better than the Mobius.
They fulfill 2 different use cases.
Lcd3f is not mobile at all.
So I use Mobius when I'm outside, coocking, chill on the sofa, watching movies on a portable device etc.
I was worried I wouldn't appreciate the Mobius after getting lcd3f, but I like both.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #5,470 of 6,385
Thanks.. Soundstage on Mobius i remember was Very congested even for a closed.. On Lcd-3 is wide and open right?
Which is more dynamic? Lcd-3 or mobius? I found Mobius very dynamic on flat mode without 3d

The LCD3 has the most treble quantity of the line. So if you’re treble sensitive, you’d be better off with the LCD 2, Classic, MX4, or LCD 4/4Z.

May 9, 2019 at 11:18 AM Post #5,471 of 6,385
The lcd3f is much more open with a good dac and amp.
There really is no comparison between a closed and open headphones, and LCD3f sound very open and real.
Detail and soundstage is much better with Lcd3f.
The treble is also in another level with lcd3f.
The performance level of lcd3f is amp and dac dependent.
The Mobius is a one in all package at a incredible value.
I mostly use Mobius on music preset, sometimes on warm (default settings is tuned as Audeze default sound siq., Flatt has most treble of the music related settings).
The only nitpick with Mobius, it's a bit strident at a certain freq in the treble.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #5,472 of 6,385
The LCD3 has the most treble quantity of the line. So if you’re treble sensitive, you’d be better off with the LCD 2, Classic, MX4, or LCD 4/4Z.
Good to know.. I'm not such treble sensitive, (Maybe you don't considered Mobius, lcd-xc and El8 titanium) I could even take Mobius with flat setting so i think is ok, but a little lighter is better for sure, depends on amps etc. I want the Lcd-3 next, the only problem i could have is that i will have a neutral/little bright amp (THX aaa 789) and neutral smsl d1 dac.. Plus full silver cables wich i think but i don't know if will made the sound brighter, so, i'll see and hear when i'll buy in next month, really hope will be fine and don't trow 3000+€ in Trash.. Do you guys know if take a good silver cable with low AWG could help holding the brillance, with better bass too?

Btw Jabba, thanks for explaining Mobius and lcd-3, i really liked Mobius for his Sound sig. But hated for noise floor on dac/amp being an active headphone.. You seems to like Audeze signature :p I would never ever choose Warm or music preset, to me, only flat or at maximum the default if flat was too fatiguing.. But depends on amp, because on Sony Pha-3 the sound was not fatiguing and really stupendous, perfect sinergy :) But the Noise floor of the Mobius make me sad, to me was not that Audiophile level for just that unfortunately.. Audeze said because the first 175 units had that issue.. Shame :frowning2:

May 9, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #5,473 of 6,385
I would say the Mobius sounds brighter in the treble in flat setting then lcd3f.
I would not call the lcd3f bright, but airy and extended in the treble. Lots of details but in a relaxing way.
I use the lcd3f with Gustard h10/Sansui au-7500 and Auralic Vega/Parasound d/ac1500.
The layering, staging and most important the emotion it presents give me goosebumps.
My Stax stack is sold after I got this setup.

Last edited:
May 9, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #5,474 of 6,385
This is not true across the board. All LCD3s I have heard all sound a bit different. Some revisions sound brighter (not in absolute terms) than others and there is fair bit of sample variance. I would look at your amp and source choice if you find your LCD3 to be sibilant.

May 9, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #5,475 of 6,385
This is not true across the board. All LCD3s I have heard all sound a bit different. Some revisions sound brighter (not in absolute terms) than others and there is fair bit of sample variance. I would look at your amp and source choice if you find your LCD3 to be sibilant.

I never said anything about sibilance. I said they’re the brightest in the LCD line and they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back