Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Apr 12, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #5,446 of 6,385
Hey Matt and Joe, lovely LCD-3s you have there. Both looks super nice with the new style suspension headbands.

Glad I took your advice and got the headband. :)

Apr 12, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #5,447 of 6,385
Very nice Matt, how do you like the headband.

I ran across a good deal the other day on a Norne Draug 3 cable, so I jumped at the chance.
The LCD-3 is a superb headphone

Joe, I love the headband. The weight distribution is good now. However being new, the clamp is tight. So I'll use it till it's more relax. The advantage of new pads and band is a tighter and more snappy tone. Love it. :)

That's a nice looking cable, no doubt it will enhanced the LCD-3 even more.

Agree that the LCD-3 is a superb headphone. The bass is more pronounced than that of the LCD-4 and the mids are lusher.

Apr 12, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #5,449 of 6,385
Another view of the LCD-3f

IMG-2658.JPG

Apr 12, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #5,450 of 6,385
Joe, I love the headband. The weight distribution is good now. However being new, the clamp is tight. So I'll use it till it's more relax. The advantage of new pads and band is a tighter and more snappy tone. Love it. :)

That's a nice looking cable, no doubt it will enhanced the LCD-3 even more.

Agree that the LCD-3 is a superb headphone. The bass is more pronounced than that of the LCD-4 and the mids are lusher.

Thanks for the comparison to the LCD-4
I listen to mostly some sort of blues or classic rock and the bass guitar sound with these headphones is killer and the lush mids are to die for....my favorite mids of any headphone that I have owned yet

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #5,451 of 6,385
I don’t know why these don’t get more love. They’re fantastic headphones. It’s like there’s two Audeze camps. The LCD 3 camp, and all the other LCD models. These are more detailed and have a wider soundstage than the 2 or 2 Classic, and they have better mids and treble than the 4. And they’re easier to drive than the 4.

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #5,452 of 6,385
Too cheap for some and not cheap enough for others. I like LCD3 I bought 2 pairs.

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #5,453 of 6,385
I don’t know why these don’t get more love. They’re fantastic headphones. It’s like there’s two Audeze camps. The LCD 3 camp, and all the other LCD models. These are more detailed and have a wider soundstage than the 2 or 2 Classic, and they have better mids and treble than the 4. And they’re easier to drive than the 4.

I see you have the Meze Empyrean....how do the mids compare ?
I own a pf LCD -3 and it took me awhile to find one that I was happy buying.

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #5,454 of 6,385
I agree the LCD 3 are really great headphones. I compliment them with the XC's. Recently I've been listening more with the 3s though.

Apr 12, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #5,456 of 6,385
I see you have the Meze Empyrean....how do the mids compare ?
I own a pf LCD -3 and it took me awhile to find one that I was happy buying.

I was one of the few who was disappointed with the Empyrean. First of all because my first pair arrived with the right driver dead on arrival. My second pair worked perfectly and Meze shipped them very fast, so kudos to them for excellent customer service.

I had two problems with the Empyrean. First, I just didn’t like the bass as much as others seemed to. I don’t think anyone does bass as well as Audeze. The Empyrean has good bass quantity, but it was a little loose and boomy.

The second reason was that I kept hearing something harsh in the upper mid range. The treble quantity and quality was pretty damn good. But my ears were bothered by the upper mids, somewhere around 3K or 4K. So for the cost, I just couldn’t justify keeping them.

I much prefer the HEKse, Final D8000, and LCD 3 to the Empyrean...and although many will disagree with me, I’m just being honest.

Apr 12, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #5,457 of 6,385
I have the same sentiments about the Empyrean. I tried it with my custom SE cables and it sounded better than the 2 stock cables. I got to compare it with the LCD2c on a Cayin stack and the Empyrean sounds like a more open, more coherent version of the LCD2c. Then I tried the Clear and it was much better than the 2. I ended up with the LCD 3 coz of the winter sale and it's a much better HP than the rest IMHO.

Apr 13, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #5,458 of 6,385
I was one of the few who was disappointed with the Empyrean. First of all because my first pair arrived with the right driver dead on arrival. My second pair worked perfectly and Meze shipped them very fast, so kudos to them for excellent customer service.

I had two problems with the Empyrean. First, I just didn’t like the bass as much as others seemed to. I don’t think anyone does bass as well as Audeze. The Empyrean has good bass quantity, but it was a little loose and boomy.

The second reason was that I kept hearing something harsh in the upper mid range. The treble quantity and quality was pretty damn good. But my ears were bothered by the upper mids, somewhere around 3K or 4K. So for the cost, I just couldn’t justify keeping them.

I much prefer the HEKse, Final D8000, and LCD 3 to the Empyrean...and although many will disagree with me, I’m just being honest.

Thanks so much for your response, I just got done listening to some of a huge blues play list that I have been putting together for some time now.
After listening for over three straight hours, I take the headphones off and think to myself...what a wonderful sounding headphone. Deep killer bass and the best mids to my ears that I have ever heard in any of my previous headphones.

Apr 22, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #5,459 of 6,385
Just picked up a used like new set from the exchange and can't wait to get them. My main amp is an Auralic Taurus MKII. Would there be any benefit to getting a balanced XLR cable for them or would it sound the same as using the 1/4" SE?

May 3, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #5,460 of 6,385
Anyone who tried LCD-3 with nice sounding system, with Optical Toslink connection? You think sound really nice even vs Usb?
I would use it only on Toslink..
I'm interested in Lcd-3, would like to know when to find a good sale for new pair, in Italy, or how to get one used.. I see 1100€ used here on Italy but no warranty, i'm afraid to buy one without warranty..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back