Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Apr 4, 2019 at 2:51 AM Post #5,431 of 6,385
Nothing against the LCD-4, but I actually like the LCD-3 better. The timbre of the LCD-3 overall (post-2016) is very liquid and smooth with a touch of euphonics, something I like. The LCD-4, while I think it sounds more "reference," can't quite match that.

That being said, I think in terms of technicalities the 4 is better, so if you're someone who likes that then save for the 4.

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #5,432 of 6,385
Picked up the LCD-3 about 6 weeks ago and have been reserving my impressions until now, I also own and still love the HD800 but wanted something complementary that would portray my music differently and allow me to enjoy both presentations. These are paired with an auralic taurus mk2 and Gumby A2, fully balanced - welcome to 2014.

So far I'm super impressed by the deep bass, smooth treble and sweet mid-range. I'm also surprised by the amount of detail considering some describe these as dark; compared to the HD800 all the detail is there, just less upfront, but I think the HD800 are a bit more accurate in complex passages. The HD800 is a hifi experience with tons of clarity, air, amazing sound stage, dynamics and speed, but on less perfect records they can sometimes be unforgiving and that makes a lot of modern pop music hard to enjoy. On the other hand the LCD-3 are great all around, and I especially enjoy them for pop and hip-hop, they are much more forgiving of poor recordings. Switching back and forth requires my brain to adjust to the difference in presentation, the HD800 can initially sound thin, and the LCD-3 can initally sound closed/vailed but after the brief adjustment period you quickly forget and things just sound good with either. The LCD-3 are easy to put on, forget, listen and enjoy the natural tone and liquid sound; however I still prefer the HD800 for jazz, acoustic, well recorded music or when I just want a hifi experience of sitting in the front row of a massive stage. Also surprising was just how much bass the HD800 has, it's there, just with more precision and less impact. I don't believe the hd800 lack bass anymore, it's fine just presented differently, however the LCD-3 bass is more satisfying. Comfort wise, HD800 wins, but the LCD-3 with suspension headband is comfortable just slightly heavier but not bothersome to me.

Another thing I feel is worth repeating is that every impression should specify the equipment used. The wrong amp or dac pairing can easily lead to false conclusions, under powered HD800 and LCD-3 can both sound underwhelming. Having experienced this first hand with other equipment some of the impressions I've read on head-fi are likely due to inadequate amps or other equipment in the chain. Overall, I'm happy and feel lucky to be able to own 2 sets of nice cans, but I could live with one great pair just fine. At a certain point high-end headphones sound more similar than different and much of these differences are exaggerated because sometimes we find ourselves listening to the equipment instead of the music.

Now if someone could recommend me a headphone that blended the best parts of each, I might just sell both tomorrow.

Thanks for saying this. I agree with your swntimsent where while I can hear the difference between the LCD3 vs 800s, that difference seems to get irrelevant once I get setlset to the sound after 2 songs. While listening to the same track, it's like listening to the artist in two different venues. While my curiosity wants me to have one more headphone, it's this human nature of acclimating to a sound that makes me think I don't need another pair (so I can spend it on other accessories).

Apr 5, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #5,433 of 6,385
^^ I agree with you there. I have the hd800 and lcd-2f for almost 2 years. Bought them new. Have used them with both tubes (Glenn OTL amp) and SS amps (Ragnarok).

A few days ago, I bought a nearly new LCD-3f and am driving it with my vintage Sansui amp. It sounds incredible. :) A step up from the lcd-2f. Sweeter and smoother mids and a more extended and deeper bass. Treble is just as extended but smoother.

Between the lcd-3f and hd800, I've a very good contrast and won't need another headphone ... unless I want to get a Utopia which I have heard on 2 occasions and like it.

IMG-2594.JPG

IMG-2590.JPG

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #5,434 of 6,385
Congrats with the lcd-3f.
Vintage amps can sound great with headphones.
I had a pioneer sa-8100 and it had a very good headamp.
I unfortunately sold this to get funds for another project and have regretted it since.

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #5,436 of 6,385
Sansui is excellent amps, very nice looking and taken care of to :thumbsup:
I also have some Sansui amps, and my favorites so far is the alpha-707dr and au-7500.
Not tried the headphone out yet on these, but after reading of your experience I have to try them with my 3f.
Of the 3 in your signature, which do you prefer?

Apr 8, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #5,438 of 6,385
Does anyone have impressions and/or measurements of the LCD-3 with the Dekoni pads? I've seen a lot of data on pad rolling on the LCD-2 and the LCD-2C, but it seems like rolling the pads on the LCD-3 gets overlooked.

Mostly asking because I'm thinking of picking up a backup pair of pads and the Dekoni sheepskin ones are a bit cheaper than the OG pads.

Apr 10, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #5,441 of 6,385
I'm looking for a amp or amp/dac for the living room since my Sansui amp + dac is a bit big and wife not approving looks :astonished:
Any impressions to share about audio gd 10.32 or mjolner (1 gen) or lyr 1 for the lcd3f?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #5,442 of 6,385
i wonder how lcd3 compare to zmf verite/aeolus and empyrean.
i ordered one and i will drive 'em with violectric v200 and an otl. i hope to get something good.
i had lcd2 pre fazor, lcd2 f2016, lcd2c, lcd2 closed, lcdx, lcd2 f2018 and even if i love them, i always felt that something was missing. i ended with aeolus and to me it is the best i have ever had.

Apr 12, 2019 at 3:06 AM Post #5,443 of 6,385
I replace the vegan brown headband and the vegan brown ear pads on my LCD-3f today because the ear pads were a bit worn and my ears could touch the fazor.

I was debating between Audeze original ear pads or Dekoni Sheepskin ear pads. In the end I decide to go with Audeze original pads because I was comfortable with my LCD-2f pads.

So here's the result. The ear pads were a bit difficult to remove. In the end I had to destroy the vegan pads by ripping it off and cleaning the self adhesive residue. Once it's all clean, installation of the new pads and headband were easy. The end result is lovely. My ears are no longer touching the fazor and it's the lovely sound of the Audeze LCD-3f that I hear. Happy with the result.

While at the shop to collect the headband and ear pads, I audition the LCD-4. Dammm.... it's very good. Superb clarity and more linear and yet the lovely planar bass is still evident. For now I'll be content with the LCD-3f. It's good enough. :)

IMG-2655.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #5,444 of 6,385
I replace the vegan brown headband and the vegan brown ear pads on my LCD-3f today because the ear pads were a bit worn and my ears could touch the fazor.

I was debating between Audeze original ear pads or Dekoni Sheepskin ear pads. In the end I decide to go with Audeze original pads because I was comfortable with my LCD-2f pads.

So here's the result. The ear pads were a bit difficult to remove. In the end I had to destroy the vegan pads by ripping it off and cleaning the self adhesive residue. Once it's all clean, installation of the new pads and headband were easy. The end result is lovely. My ears are no longer touching the fazor and it's the lovely sound of the Audeze LCD-3f that I hear. Happy with the result.

While at the shop to collect the headband and ear pads, I audition the LCD-4. Dammm.... it's very good. Superb clarity and more linear and yet the lovely planar bass is still evident. For now I'll be content with the LCD-3f. It's good enough. :)

Very nice Matt, how do you like the headband.

I ran across a good deal the other day on a Norne Draug 3 cable, so I jumped at the chance.
The LCD-3 is a superb headphone

DSC02618.JPG

Apr 12, 2019 at 6:03 AM Post #5,445 of 6,385

Very nice Matt, how do you like the headband.

I ran across a good deal the other day on a Norne Draug 3 cable, so I jumped at the chance.
The LCD-3 is a superb headphone

Hey Matt and Joe, lovely LCD-3s you have there. Both looks super nice with the new style suspension headbands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back