Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #5,416 of 6,385
I've really enjoyed my LCD3. I find that I'm a little treble sensitive, and when I had both the LCD3 and HD 800 S side by side, I more often than not would be reaching for the LCD3. It has such great natural reproduction with a really pleasant timbre, even when listening to more contemporary highly compressed music, it still sounds as if you're listening to actual instruments. By comparison, the HD 800 S always sounded like I was listening to very good headphones, and at times could be a bit piercing and shrill, and the sound was a bit thin compared to the very full sound of the LCD3, and this was despite running them through a nice OTL tube amp. I have a hard time seeing myself getting rid of the LCD3, although my ZMF Verite should be here soon, and we'll have to see, they may end up for sale.

I feel the same. That full sound gives more realism to the presentation. While the 800s is great, the LCD 3 disappears most of the time. I have to take out my tweaking to remind myself how good the setup is cause I just enjoy the music so much and forget how hard it was to achieve the sound.

Mar 6, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #5,418 of 6,385
I would say Vienna Acoustics. That's my speakers for a good decade. When I transitioned to portables, I had to retrain my ears to see if I got too biased to the Vienna Acoustics sound that I understood it as a reference FR. I tried to shift my perception where Utopias and 800s is closer to reference but ultimately the ear fatigue wasn't for me. The LCD3s feel like end game and happens to be closer to the Vienna Acoustics sound.

Mar 6, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #5,420 of 6,385
Wow I looked up Vienna Acoustics. Those are some high end speakers. I would love to hear what they sound like.

Any other opinions on loudspeakers that sound similar to the LCD-3’s?
Harbeth for the same mid range transparency and slightly darker sound. Can listen to both for ours without fatigue.

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #5,423 of 6,385
Typical for honeymoon phase. Report back in 6 months.

Apr 3, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #5,426 of 6,385
Picked up the LCD-3 about 6 weeks ago and have been reserving my impressions until now, I also own and still love the HD800 but wanted something complementary that would portray my music differently and allow me to enjoy both presentations. These are paired with an auralic taurus mk2 and Gumby A2, fully balanced - welcome to 2014.

So far I'm super impressed by the deep bass, smooth treble and sweet mid-range. I'm also surprised by the amount of detail considering some describe these as dark; compared to the HD800 all the detail is there, just less upfront, but I think the HD800 are a bit more accurate in complex passages. The HD800 is a hifi experience with tons of clarity, air, amazing sound stage, dynamics and speed, but on less perfect records they can sometimes be unforgiving and that makes a lot of modern pop music hard to enjoy. On the other hand the LCD-3 are great all around, and I especially enjoy them for pop and hip-hop, they are much more forgiving of poor recordings. Switching back and forth requires my brain to adjust to the difference in presentation, the HD800 can initially sound thin, and the LCD-3 can initally sound closed/vailed but after the brief adjustment period you quickly forget and things just sound good with either. The LCD-3 are easy to put on, forget, listen and enjoy the natural tone and liquid sound; however I still prefer the HD800 for jazz, acoustic, well recorded music or when I just want a hifi experience of sitting in the front row of a massive stage. Also surprising was just how much bass the HD800 has, it's there, just with more precision and less impact. I don't believe the hd800 lack bass anymore, it's fine just presented differently, however the LCD-3 bass is more satisfying. Comfort wise, HD800 wins, but the LCD-3 with suspension headband is comfortable just slightly heavier but not bothersome to me.

Another thing I feel is worth repeating is that every impression should specify the equipment used. The wrong amp or dac pairing can easily lead to false conclusions, under powered HD800 and LCD-3 can both sound underwhelming. Having experienced this first hand with other equipment some of the impressions I've read on head-fi are likely due to inadequate amps or other equipment in the chain. Overall, I'm happy and feel lucky to be able to own 2 sets of nice cans, but I could live with one great pair just fine. At a certain point high-end headphones sound more similar than different and much of these differences are exaggerated because sometimes we find ourselves listening to the equipment instead of the music.

Now if someone could recommend me a headphone that blended the best parts of each, I might just sell both tomorrow.

Apr 3, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #5,427 of 6,385
Apr 3, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #5,429 of 6,385
I was afraid you guys would recommend me something at twice the price, my wallet is already aching Not that long ago the choices were simple and the cost, while expensive, doable. But with the new crop of halo 3k+ headphones its a bigger decision and I'm still not seeing much consensus between forming around D8000, LCD-4, utopia, Verite, Phi CC, susvara, as to the king.

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #5,430 of 6,385
I was afraid you guys would recommend me something at twice the price, my wallet is already aching Not that long ago the choices were simple and the cost, while expensive, doable. But with the new crop of halo 3k+ headphones its a bigger decision and I'm still not seeing much consensus between forming around D8000, LCD-4, utopia, Verite, Phi CC, susvara, as to the king.

There’s no king, only preference. No worries, the LCD 3 is an awesome headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back