Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #5,296 of 6,388
I have a Hugo 2. Given what it costs and how hot it gets, if it doesn't have enough power for the LCD-3, it's poorly designed and overpriced. I heard that Chord uses the LCD-4 when they demo the Hugo 2 at shows, so something isn't adding up if the some people think the Hugo 2 is underpowered for the LCD-3.
Yeah I was going to say you have the same combo, so what are your thoughts on it?

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #5,297 of 6,388
Yeah I was going to say you have the same combo, so what are your thoughts on it?

I've been happy with the combo (listening to it right now). Given that I don't ever turn the Hugo 2 past the light blue volume level (it can get much louder than that), I doubt that it's underpowered for the LCD-3. I haven't tried a more powerful more amp than the Hugo 2, but when I did a semi-controlled comparison of the Hugo 2 and Mojo with various headphones including the LCD-3, they essentially sounded the same to me.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #5,298 of 6,388
I've been happy with the combo (listening to it right now). Given that I don't ever turn the Hugo 2 past the light blue volume level (it can get much louder than that), I doubt that it's underpowered for the LCD-3. I haven't tried a more powerful more amp than the Hugo 2, but when I did a semi-controlled comparison of the Hugo 2 and Mojo with various headphones including the LCD-3, they essentially sounded the same to me.
That’s good to know. I usually do the same, unless there’s a track or two I just want to lose myself in and drown everything else out. Of course at low to moderate listening levels many of the ‘issues’ so many people complain about across the board (for headphones, amps and dacs) usually disappear. It’s only when you start pushing the gear a bit that the best get sorted from the rest.

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #5,299 of 6,388
Check out the track September by Misha Mullov-Abbado from the album New Ansonia. Shows how good the LCD-3 can sound with a suitable high-quality recording.

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #5,300 of 6,388
Listening to the album "earfood" by the Roy Hargrove Quintet. The LCD-3 was absolutely made for this music. Horns sound natural and silky. Bass sounds full, but not boomy. Ample detail, but not too much.

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #5,301 of 6,388
Listening to the album "earfood" by the Roy Hargrove Quintet. The LCD-3 was absolutely made for this music. Horns sound natural and silky. Bass sounds full, but not boomy. Ample detail, but not too much.
How do you rate the LCD-3 against the Clear? Do you find them complementary? Which does what better for you? and have you heard the ZMF Auteur by comparison?

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #5,302 of 6,388
How do you rate the LCD-3 against the Clear? Do you find them complementary? Which does what better for you? and have you heard the ZMF Auteur by comparison?

To my ears, both LCD-3 and Clear are on the same tier, but with a somewhat different signature, so they're fairly complementary and each has its moments to really shine. My preference between them depends on both the recording and my mood, and sometimes I just like a change, to hear music presented differently. Haven't tried any ZMF stuff, but eager to do so.

Oct 21, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #5,303 of 6,388

Thanks for sharing the music. I like to hear what other people recommend, especially when they're listening to the same headphones. I'm not currently using Tidal as Apple Music sounds great on these headphones, though there is a noticeable difference.

Check out Trygve Seim - New Beginning from the album Helsinki Songs. Also Ben Wendel - October from the album The Seasons.

Anyone else have music to recommend?

Nov 1, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #5,304 of 6,388
Thanks for sharing the music. I like to hear what other people recommend, especially when they're listening to the same headphones. I'm not currently using Tidal as Apple Music sounds great on these headphones, though there is a noticeable difference.

Check out Trygve Seim - New Beginning from the album Helsinki Songs. Also Ben Wendel - October from the album The Seasons.

Anyone else have music to recommend?

The recently released album "Here If You Listen" by David Crosby is masterfully recorded and sounds fantastic with the LCD-3 -- and is a fantastic album!

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #5,308 of 6,388
This may sound crazy to the LCD-3 crowd, but I'm thinking of adding an HD800S in order to complement the LCD-3 and my other headphones with something different. Is it crazy?

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #5,310 of 6,388
This may sound crazy to the LCD-3 crowd, but I'm thinking of adding an HD800S in order to complement the LCD-3 and my other headphones with something different. Is it crazy?
Not crazy at all - the two are very complementary in that each does something quite unique that no other headphone can do. It’ll be interesting to hear your thoughts on the differences and strengths of each when you have both together. I’ve often thought of getting an HD800 myself as a “reference” headphone but each time I hear one I remind myself it’s not quite the reference sound I enjoy. I like my bass too much! But for acoustic and instrumentals with the widest stage of any headphone ever made, the HD800 can’t be beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back