Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #4,636 of 6,385
Does this image look like a razor? Can you tell by the picture? I feel the ridges on the inside on the ear cup.

I bought this from a guy who advertised it as a mint "10" pre fazor model. Just want to know before I give bat crazy on him. Thanks.

Those do look like fazor elements. I have the 2016 LCD-3's and mine look just like that when looking through the earpads.

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #4,637 of 6,385
Does this image look like a razor? Can you tell by the picture? I feel the ridges on the inside on the ear cup.

I bought this from a guy who advertised it as a mint "10" pre fazor model. Just want to know before I give bat crazy on him. Thanks.

That does appear to be a fazor. You might want to send Audeze the serial number to find out the original manufacturing date and to see if it's an older pair of LCD3s with updated drivers.

What are the first 3 digits of the SN? While not conclusive, some numerical series were pre fazor and some post. There was some crossover.

Sep 2, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #4,638 of 6,385
Thanks for the responses. Where would I find the s/n number? Is it on the headphone? There is no paperwork with it.

I'm just pissed that some took the time to put in the add that it is the "Non Fazor sought after headphone with trademark Audeze sound".

You would hope that when we all buy used, the seller is truthful. This is the first time this has happened to me, and I've bought and sold a crap load of stuff over the years.

I bought it through PayPal and so I'm not concerned with aspect of it. It's just the point. I'm waiting for him to get back to me.
Ken

Sep 2, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #4,639 of 6,385
Pre Fazor LCD 3s usually sell for cheaper on the forums than the new 2016 Fazor ones

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #4,641 of 6,385
Hello folks.

I got a chance to demo a pair of LCD-3's today while plotting on picking up a set of LCD-X's and I really enjoyed what I heard as I A/B'd them with my D7000's and Kennerton Vali's. Unfortunately I have yet to hear the LCD-X's but I thought I'd get you guys opinion on a LCD-3 purchase.

Simple question: What would be a reasonable price to buy a pair of used LCD-3's with some wear? I was thinking about buying their demo/floor unit. It showed some signs of wear and tear on the wood in a couple of areas (some scuffs; looks like it just needs a little wood finishing treatment), but otherwise appear to have been dust-free and well kept. No issues with the sound at all. They appear to have lived most of their lives on a mannequin there at the audio store. They seemed structurally fine, but having never held or seen a pair of LCD's in person, I have no real point of reference to know if they had any other problems.

Their initial offer was $1,500 for them. I reminded them that I was in the market for LCD-X's because of the current discounted price ($1,200) and he told me he'd confer with their team and come back with a better price in the morning. How low do these need to go before they enter "absolutely, buy" territory? I'm assuming that they will not be given a proper warranty since they are used and as I said there is clearly some wear. I also could not immediately tell by looking at them if they are pre-fazor or not, though I'm sure they would be able to tell me based on when they were purchased. So...based on a bit of wear and assuming they are fazor variants, what is a good price considering the current $1,200 price of the LCD-X's? Also, if they're not fazor'd, how much less should they be before I bite?

As these will be my first Audeze's and I will be buying either those or ordering the LCD-X's tomorrow, your feedback and experiences will be critical to my decision making tonight and in the morning when I talk with them again.

Oct 3, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #4,643 of 6,385
Hello folks.

I got a chance to demo a pair of LCD-3's today while plotting on picking up a set of LCD-X's and I really enjoyed what I heard as I A/B'd them with my D7000's and Kennerton Vali's. Unfortunately I have yet to hear the LCD-X's but I thought I'd get you guys opinion on a LCD-3 purchase.

Simple question: What would be a reasonable price to buy a pair of used LCD-3's with some wear? I was thinking about buying their demo/floor unit. It showed some signs of wear and tear on the wood in a couple of areas (some scuffs; looks like it just needs a little wood finishing treatment), but otherwise appear to have been dust-free and well kept. No issues with the sound at all. They appear to have lived most of their lives on a mannequin there at the audio store. They seemed structurally fine, but having never held or seen a pair of LCD's in person, I have no real point of reference to know if they had any other problems.

Their initial offer was $1,500 for them. I reminded them that I was in the market for LCD-X's because of the current discounted price ($1,200) and he told me he'd confer with their team and come back with a better price in the morning. How low do these need to go before they enter "absolutely, buy" territory? I'm assuming that they will not be given a proper warranty since they are used and as I said there is clearly some wear. I also could not immediately tell by looking at them if they are pre-fazor or not, though I'm sure they would be able to tell me based on when they were purchased. So...based on a bit of wear and assuming they are fazor variants, what is a good price considering the current $1,200 price of the LCD-X's? Also, if they're not fazor'd, how much less should they be before I bite?

As these will be my first Audeze's and I will be buying either those or ordering the LCD-X's tomorrow, your feedback and experiences will be critical to my decision making tonight and in the morning when I talk with them again.

I wouldn’t buy them at all unless they were manufactured in 2016 or later. LCD 3s made prior to this are very likely to encounter driver fail. If they were a 2016 or 2017 model, then I would snatch them up for perhaps the 1100-1200 price point. This seems to be the going price on head-fi for used 2016 models. I still enjoy mine a lot even though I own the LCD-4 also. There’s simply something about their sound that I keep coming back to. I once owned the LCD X and currently own the LCD-XC and I personally find the Lcd-3 to be superior to both.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #4,644 of 6,385
Understood. I think that's all I needed to know, really.

Maybe I'll call Audeze and see if I can't sweet-talk them into something a little better for the LCD-3 new. Otherwise I'll probably just go with the LCD-X. I don't want to take any chances on driver failure issues. Especially on a unit without a warranty.

Oct 3, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #4,645 of 6,385
Understood. I think that's all I needed to know, really.

Maybe I'll call Audeze and see if I can't sweet-talk them into something a little better for the LCD-3 new. Otherwise I'll probably just go with the LCD-X. I don't want to take any chances on driver failure issues. Especially on a unit without a warranty.
Audeze has transferable warranty. As long as you buy one in warranty, rest assured you are covered. Audeze has like a 3 year warranty on new sets so you can find plenty online with warranty

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #4,646 of 6,385
Audeze has transferable warranty. As long as you buy one in warranty, rest assured you are covered. Audeze has like a 3 year warranty on new sets so you can find plenty online with warranty
Ah okay. Noted. I'll need to find out the history of the local LCD-3's, then I might look around in the classifieds.

Oct 4, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #4,647 of 6,385
Ah okay. Noted. I'll need to find out the history of the local LCD-3's, then I might look around in the classifieds.

If the drivers have been replaced, there’s an additional 3 years warranty on the replacement drivers.

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #4,649 of 6,385
Hello fellow headfiers!

I'm new in this lcd 3 forum, but I'm in need of advice and hope you can help me out!

Is a lcd 3 model from 2012 worth 1k? It's in mint condition.
I'm not very familiar with the Audeze products, but I liked the signature of the lcd Xes when i tried them.

Please help me out

Oct 16, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #4,650 of 6,385
Hello fellow headfiers!

I'm new in this lcd 3 forum, but I'm in need of advice and hope you can help me out!

Is a lcd 3 model from 2012 worth 1k? It's in mint condition.
I'm not very familiar with the Audeze products, but I liked the signature of the lcd Xes when i tried them.

Please help me out

I would contact Audeze with the SN of the headphones to see if they have had the drivers replaced. If they have been replaced, $1k isn't a bad deal but I wouldn't pay that much if the original drivers are still in as there is a high failure rate of that generation driver and you would be out of warranty.

Most people find the LCD3 to be a bit more mid centric/lush than the LCDX. I prefer the 3, but not everyone does. The signatures are still both "Audeze house sound", but they aren't identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back