Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #3,346 of 6,385
  I had one of the old pairs of LCD-2s with the foam head band...well before any of the fazors came in to focus. I enjoyed them for many years without any issues. Driver failure finally caught up to me and occurred well past the warranty and were repaired and returned within a month without issue. I liked the cans so I wanted them around. The newer fazor addition is quite nice, i can understand why many perhaps did not enjoy the earlier version of the LCD-2 but with certain genres of music is did have its magic. 

While the LCD-2  was out, I decided to move up to the  LCD-3f latest version. From the hundreds of pages on this forum I found a couple references that the LCD-3fs really up scaled well so I started looking at amps. I threw my name in the hat for a GSX-MkII but not being a long time patient man continued to look for a solution that I could find a bit sooner. 

With the Red Wine Audio, love it or hate it, was love for me...the differences in the cans ad me rolling tubes a bit and I ended up with the Amperex Bugle Boy vesus my older Telefunken.

But I decided to add my name is on the list for the GSX-MkII and began searching for a balanced DAC. Here and there I read happy words regarding this elusive "Lampi" DAC. Did my research...the company ethos for sound basically was my wish lists....so I am now the proud owner of a Lampizator Head DAC Gen 4 Lvl 4.  I have to say that thing is a bit magical with the LDC lines. Fluid, sweet, detailed, holographic really, resolving.

The sound is in the room and then when the music starts it just takes you away...like your own personal concert with you favorite band. The music just floats out there in front of you and you can hear all the details. Everything just sounds right again whether with the 2 or the 3. With the lampi you are going to clearly see the differences between the two cans....is harder to head back to the LCD2 as often now.

First thoughts, I have only had the amp for a couple days.  

Congrats to the Head DAC!! Would you characterize that the Head DAC as fast and dynamic or more relaxed and laid back?  

Dec 24, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #3,347 of 6,385
My audeze lcd-3's right driver is dead. anyone know how good audeze is with warranties with used headphones/no receipt? Its purchased aboUT  06/2014 from Whiplash AUDio

I had the same problem with mine about a year ago.  They're very good with the RMA process--go on ahead and contact them!

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #3,348 of 6,385

Congrats to the Head DAC!! Would you characterize that the Head DAC as fast and dynamic or more relaxed and laid back?  

The Head DAC (Gen 4, Lvl 4) is a bit hard to quantify, both relaxed and dynamic based on the recording. I would lean a bit towards the relaxed side perhaps in the mindset that I never find it dry and overly analytical sounding. Selling point for me was the focus on "musicality" while maintaining resolution. The Head DAC really does just sound "correct"...you start the music, you hear the detail, and then your mind relaxes the toes start tapping and time just fades away. Conveys the emotions of the music.

This is my first full tube, non-integrated set up so I do not have a good background to quantify the sound against. Still using the stock tubes and have not rolled in other options. Current tubes roll off a little bit of the sub-bass, it is still there but tighter and less boomy. I am amazed at the level of detail that I was missing previously. The Head DAC I have uses 4 ECC88's. 

Lampizator has many different levels to choose from and as they are voiced you could likely get various nuances from the different levels...mine just being the entry level. My set up is not perfect and have just started the journey with this DAC but initial impressions for my ears have me very pleased. The upgrade at the entry level was enough to hit the "music all sounds new again" which is a significant upgrade in my opinion. From here will dial in little changes and will see where to go in the future. 

There was some discussing on the forum that the LCD-2 was the "sounds good with everything" can and the LCD-3 was a little more picky but was referenced as upscaling well. I has a similar feeling before but the LCD-3f sounds good with everything again. I think the "house sound" of Lampizator has good synergy with these cans. The Head DAC and LCD-3f sounded good to my ears right away...and then continued to improve as my ears started dialing in on the little things that I was missing. Not overly analytical or dry sounding which is something I would not really prefer...hence the tube DAC decision. I also enjoy the possibility to change sound signatures along the way which I understand at times can be frustrating (as well as expensive) at times.

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #3,349 of 6,385

The Head DAC (Gen 4, Lvl 4) is a bit hard to quantify, both relaxed and dynamic based on the recording. I would lean a bit towards the relaxed side perhaps in the mindset that I never find it dry and overly analytical sounding. Selling point for me was the focus on "musicality" while maintaining resolution. The Head DAC really does just sound "correct"...you start the music, you hear the detail, and then your mind relaxes the toes start tapping and time just fades away. Conveys the emotions of the music.

This is my first full tube, non-integrated set up so I do not have a good background to quantify the sound against. Still using the stock tubes and have not rolled in other options. Current tubes roll off a little bit of the sub-bass, it is still there but tighter and less boomy. I am amazed at the level of detail that I was missing previously. The Head DAC I have uses 4 ECC88's. 

Lampizator has many different levels to choose from and as they are voiced you could likely get various nuances from the different levels...mine just being the entry level. My set up is not perfect and have just started the journey with this DAC but initial impressions for my ears have me very pleased. The upgrade at the entry level was enough to hit the "music all sounds new again" which is a significant upgrade in my opinion. From here will dial in little changes and will see where to go in the future. 

There was some discussing on the forum that the LCD-2 was the "sounds good with everything" can and the LCD-3 was a little more picky but was referenced as upscaling well. I has a similar feeling before but the LCD-3f sounds good with everything again. I think the "house sound" of Lampizator has good synergy with these cans. The Head DAC and LCD-3f sounded good to my ears right away...and then continued to improve as my ears started dialing in on the little things that I was missing. Not overly analytical or dry sounding which is something I would not really prefer...hence the tube DAC decision. I also enjoy the possibility to change sound signatures along the way which I understand at times can be frustrating (as well as expensive) at times.

Thanks!

Yes Lampizator has (too) many different levels and it’s difficult to "see" how they will influence the sound, to me anyway.

How is the headroom on the Head DAC btw?  

Jan 2, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #3,351 of 6,385
Hi guys

Any recommendations for aftermarket balanced cables for the audeze lcd3?

I have the stock balanced cable and wondered what I should order to replace it?

I've been very happy with my q-audio French silk. Extremely light weight and flexible - I never really notice it while wearing my LCD3s. The stock cable is a lot stiffer and heavier.

Jan 2, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #3,355 of 6,385
Thanks for that. I can't find any reviews though? How do these compare to the cardas or silver dragon cables?

There is a thread on them in the cables section with more info.

I found them to be lighter and more flexible than the cardas and silver dragon. Those are my primary criteria for selecting a headphone cable, so I went with the q. Without generating a debate on it, I don't believe in audible differences in well made cables so won't be able to contribute any SQ opinions. There are some in the q-audio thread and (no surprise) owners who comment on SQ do so favorably.

Like a lot of cable vendors, they offer a thirty day return so trying them is fairly low risk.

Jan 2, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #3,356 of 6,385
Hi guys

Any recommendations for aftermarket balanced cables for the audeze lcd3?

I have the stock balanced cable and wondered what I should order to replace it?

I tried a few cables - ALO, Nordost & Cardas.

I preferred the Cardas Clear it had the most holographic and tonally rich sound. I have not liked Cardas cables in the past however it seems their 'house' sound is changing for the better.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #3,357 of 6,385
Hello,
I'm thinking about purchasing the LCD-3s this coming week and had planned on also grabbing the OPPO HA-1 amp/dac.
Is the OPPO HA-1 a suitable amp for these cans?  Is it capable of driving the LCD-3s to their full potential?  Is anyone using
this combination that can speak to the SQ?  I'm willing to spend up to $1500 for an amp/dac solution and the HA-1 seems
to be a great option for this price range.  Thanks!

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #3,358 of 6,385
Hello,
I'm thinking about purchasing the LCD-3s this coming week and had planned on also grabbing the OPPO HA-1 amp/dac.
Is the OPPO HA-1 a suitable amp for these cans?  Is it capable of driving the LCD-3s to their full potential?  Is anyone using
this combination that can speak to the SQ?  I'm willing to spend up to $1500 for an amp/dac solution and the HA-1 seems
to be a great option for this price range.  Thanks!

Yep I have this exact setup. Make sure you run it in high gain and use the balanced cable. It sounds great but depending on the source, your volume knob would be between 12 to 3 o'clock.

I'm upgrading to norne draug 2 cables so let's see if that improves the sound.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #3,359 of 6,385
Yep I have this exact setup. Make sure you run it in high gain and use the balanced cable. It sounds great but depending on the source, your volume knob would be between 12 to 3 o'clock.

I'm upgrading to norne draug 2 cables so let's see if that improves the sound.

Thank you for the quick response.  Yes, I would plan on using the balanced cable based on the OPPO specs that I reviewed.  
I'm just wondering if it has enough power being that you need to run the volume knob between 12 and 3 on high gain.  I'm just
a newbie so I'm not sure if that's typical or not.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #3,360 of 6,385
  Thank you for the quick response.  Yes, I would plan on using the balanced cable based on the OPPO specs that I reviewed.  
I'm just wondering if it has enough power being that you need to run the volume knob between 12 and 3 on high gain.  I'm just
a newbie so I'm not sure if that's typical or not.

Just a general fact about this:
The position of the volume knob does not determine in ANY way the power of the amp, and if this power is enough or not to drive your headphones.  It is just related to the gain of the amp and above all the RMS voltage of the output of your source.
An amp could deliver too low a power to drive some headphones and still sound "loud" (and distorted) with a very low position of the volume knob.  And the opposite is also true: plenty of power (and very low distorsion) but a high volume knob position required to sound satisfyingly loud.

Now, I can't tell anything about the OPPO.  We will wait for someone who knows about this specific amp :)

Edit: I've just read a bit about the specs of the OPPO, it seems like a powerful enough amp to drive the Audeze with utter clarity.  But we will still wait for someone who has tried it ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back