Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jul 2, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #2,792 of 6,385
I agree. I'm going to leave my LCD-3 as it is and just wait for the LCD-4.

That sounds like a good approach since they seem to change something about every 6 months or so. The constant tweaking is a little annoying but they are all such great sounding phones it's worth putting up with.

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #2,794 of 6,385
When was your LCD3 manufactured?

FWIW I had the same experience when I replaced my mar2012 LCD3 with a jul2013 one.

I think there may be a sweet spot with phones made just before the fazor revision. My graph is from November 2013 and the treble does not seem overly dark at all. Also, it does not have the dip in the bass response.

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #2,795 of 6,385
I gotta say it was almost gut wrenching to send my beloved 3s off for the exchange. But I think for my taste in musical reproduction I am doing the right thing. I started with LCD2 r2 and swapped for LCD3. Looking for more air and balanced output along the whole range from bass to treble; plus more airiness in the upper mids/treble and better sound stage. Loved the bass (both phones) but I need a little more neutrality and sparkle in the highs and this seems to be a recurrent theme in the progression of headphones. The X (from many reviews) still hits hard in the lower registers with more clarity in bass to mid bass at the cost of some body but with improved detail and sparkle which I really want. Basically a more neutral presentation. Saying that though I would have liked to keep the 3s as well but alas was not really possible at this time.

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #2,796 of 6,385
  I just swapped out my LCD3(c) for the LCD-X. It will be interesting to see how they compare. I did talk to Audeze about the LCD4 (new flagship) and the salesperson said they planned to release a lower cost headphone first but did not indicate a  price or any other info; also said they were working on a new predecessor to the 3s but no idea when that might be released. Sounded like it would not be any time soon at all.  

eek.gif
   I hope the difference is very noticeble between the 3 and 4. I'll keep my hopes up for the coming years :p.   ¿ Cheaper phones ? ¿Audeze iem?

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #2,797 of 6,385
I think there may be a sweet spot with phones made just before the fazor revision. My graph is from November 2013 and the treble does not seem overly dark at all. Also, it does not have the dip in the bass response.

You might be right.  

I was able to A/B my Mar 2012 vs my Jul 2013 LCD3 and the Jul 2013 one sounded much better, and I find it even better when it came back after the driver replacement in Sep 2013 but I can't say this definitely as obviously I wasn't able to A/B these.  Not sure if I'd call it a "sweetspot" but I do like it a lot.

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #2,798 of 6,385

You might be right.  

I was able to A/B my Mar 2012 vs my Jul 2013 LCD3 and the Jul 2013 one sounded much better, and I find it even better when it came back after the driver replacement in Sep 2013 but I can't say this definitely as obviously I wasn't able to A/B these.  Not sure if I'd call it a "sweetspot" but I do like it a lot.

March 2012 would mean you likely had a veiled pair and if you look at the graphs there is a massive difference in mid-frequency drop-off at around the 1k frequency point. What I did was compare my own August 2012 with a September 2013 and while I could hear something was different it was extremely subtle and nothing stood out to me as being either better or worse with either pair.

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #2,799 of 6,385
Hi guys, joining audeze club soon :) got a lcd3f on order. Now gotta find an amp to pair with, 110ohm not easy to drive, but I thought if I'm going audeze open, should just skip the lcd-x.

Not looking for desktop amp, as I'm working away from home, usually do the listening on my bed. Store guy recommend fostex hp-v1.

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #2,800 of 6,385
Hi guys, joining audeze club soon :) got a lcd3f on order. Now gotta find an amp to pair with, 110ohm not easy to drive, but I thought if I'm going audeze open, should just skip the lcd-x.

Not looking for desktop amp, as I'm working away from home, usually do the listening on my bed. Store guy recommend fostex hp-v1.

I've got mine paired with a Woo Audio wa7/wa7tp combo. Love the sound :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #2,801 of 6,385

Why skip the X?

Jul 6, 2014 at 10:17 AM Post #2,802 of 6,385

For bed side, trips/work away from home scenarios, you should really consider the Hugo. Pairs great with my LCD3 and I even prefer driving it straight from Hugo than from Hugo>wa22. Excellent DAC with amp section that can drive my hd800/he6 with enough volume.

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #2,803 of 6,385
For bed side, trips/work away from home scenarios, you should really consider the Hugo. Pairs great with my LCD3 and I even prefer driving it straight from Hugo than from Hugo>wa22. Excellent DAC with amp section that can drive my hd800/he6 with enough volume.

+1
The Hugo is a great piece of kit

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #2,804 of 6,385

I was also thinking of getting hugo, just worried it doesn't have enough power for LcD-3, more suitable for low impedience like LCD-X.

Jul 6, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #2,805 of 6,385
I was also thinking of getting hugo, just worried it doesn't have enough power for LcD-3, more suitable for low impedience like LCD-X.

Get a demo if you can, you'd love it 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back