Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #2,776 of 6,385
I sent my LCD3 to Audeze for the fazor upgrade.
The result was unbelievable.
The headphones sounded much transparent, the highs sparkled, and I could differentiate sounds I never noticed before.

I never heard the LCD X, but I can tell you for sure that the fazor upgrade will make your LCD3 a completely new headphone.

The fazored 3s are indeed more airey and detailed but do you find that there isn't as much punch and rumble in the lows as the classic?

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #2,778 of 6,385
The fazored 3s are indeed more airey and detailed but do you find that there isn't as much punch and rumble in the lows as the classic?

You're right, the classic 3's have more rumble than the fazored 3's, which I sometimes miss. The dip in the bass is clearly shown in the frequency signature as well, but the bass of the fazored 3 is tighter and more solid. It just sounds more real.
Likewise, if the punch of the classic 3 is with a boxing glove, the fazored 3's is with bare fist. The classic 3 hits broader area, but the fazored 3 hits harder.

I don't regret having the upgrade at all.

Jun 29, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #2,779 of 6,385
I sent my LCD3 to Audeze for the fazor upgrade.
The result was unbelievable.
The headphones sounded much transparent, the highs sparkled, and I could differentiate sounds I never noticed before.

I never heard the LCD X, but I can tell you for sure that the fazor upgrade will make your LCD3 a completely new headphone.

When was your LCD3 manufactured?

FWIW I had the same experience when I replaced my mar2012 LCD3 with a jul2013 one.

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #2,780 of 6,385
Have to wonder about the new drivers for the LCD3-F. Have not really read much on the signature of the new drivers vs. the older 54 ohm drivers in my3s. I may re-think just sending mine in to get fazors and new stators rather than  swapping out to the X phones. Do the fazored 3s get any improvement in the treble sparkle and airiness? The more I think about it sending mine in to get fazored/stators and new pads might really be the way to go since the X will come with the stock black pads and I really love these lambskin pads on the 3s. These headphones are just massively comfortable (for me). The weight has always been a complete non-issue for me. Anyway it is a big decision and I don't want to screw it up. 

Jun 29, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #2,781 of 6,385

You're right, the classic 3's have more rumble than the fazored 3's, which I sometimes miss. The dip in the bass is clearly shown in the frequency signature as well, but the bass of the fazored 3 is tighter and more solid. It just sounds more real.
Likewise, if the punch of the classic 3 is with a boxing glove, the fazored 3's is with bare fist. The classic 3 hits broader area, but the fazored 3 hits harder.

I don't regret having the upgrade at all.

Very interesting analogy! I like it. I may well do the fazor upgrade in preference to the X. Just not sure yet.

Jun 29, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #2,782 of 6,385

Very interesting analogy! I like it. I may well do the fazor upgrade in preference to the X. Just not sure yet.

I bought the 3 a few months ago after comparing a 3 and X at a dealer for a few hours. To me the primary difference was the 3 had a feeling of smoothness and being a little laid-back vs the X being more forward. Levels of detail and soundstage seemed to be very similar, there was nothing I could hear throught the LCD-X I couldn't hear through the 3, the presentation was just a little different. 

What I am getting at, I suppose, is that if you like the slightly mellow, laid-back presentation of the 3s but just want more detailed treble and sparkle then upgrading your 3s is probably the way to go. If you want something that sounds more up-front or "exciting" then maybe you should consider the X.

Jun 29, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #2,783 of 6,385
Another consideration is I have near 2000 hours on my current phones. So getting them fazored sounds like a good thing except don't know how much life these drivers can be expected to have. Which was why I considered getting the X. Audeze quoted 800 IIRC for changing out the drivers as well. So far my phones just keep right on working fine. If I had the means right now I would just buy the X with the lambskin pads and then compare the two but likely not gonna happen...

Jun 29, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #2,784 of 6,385
I have a question to the folks that upgraded their LCD-3 to the Fazor tech:

Does the bass quality remain the same? The impact and the sub-bass are the same quantity or have they changed?

Jun 29, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #2,785 of 6,385
  I have a question to the folks that upgraded their LCD-3 to the Fazor tech:

Does the bass quality remain the same? The impact and the sub-bass are the same quantity or have they changed?

I would say overall you loose a bit of base and impact but the LCD3F gets better everywhere else which makes it worth it.  It is especially noticeable in the soundstage and imaging IMO.  

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #2,788 of 6,385
Apart from the obvious difference, can anyone tell us the sound similarities/dissimilarities between the fazored 3 and the XC? Looks like the mids are more forward with the fazored 3 and a tad less bass. Well, the XC has great mids and a bottom end that extends very well. I don't want to fazor my 3 and then find it is very similar to the XC.

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #2,789 of 6,385
I just swapped out my LCD3(c) for the LCD-X. It will be interesting to see how they compare. I did talk to Audeze about the LCD4 (new flagship) and the salesperson said they planned to release a lower cost headphone first but did not indicate a  price or any other info; also said they were working on a new predecessor to the 3s but no idea when that might be released. Sounded like it would not be any time soon at all.  

Jul 2, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #2,790 of 6,385
  I just swapped out my LCD3(c) for the LCD-X. It will be interesting to see how they compare. I did talk to Audeze about the LCD4 (new flagship) and the salesperson said they planned to release a lower cost headphone first but did not indicate a  price or any other info; also said they were working on a new predecessor to the 3s but no idea when that might be released. Sounded like it would not be any time soon at all.  

Thanks. I am planning to wait, got the 3 and the XC so no hurry (I hope). And you do mean successor ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back