Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #2,357 of 6,385
From their site:

"[COLOR=707070]All devices support DSD64 over [/COLOR][COLOR=E66908]DoP[/COLOR][COLOR=707070]. The Audiophilleo1 Special Edition additionally supports 352.8 and 384 Khz sample rates and DSD128."[/COLOR]

If you have a non DSD DAC this fuction would be useless. Even if the DAC knows DSD it should support DSD over COAX.
The Hydra knows DSD as well but I can't play DSD files without converting them

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #2,359 of 6,385
My PureDAC manual states the DSD is a DoP implementation, so yeah. Doesn't mention being "capable but not implemented"? PCM-wise, USB is 16..32 bit and up to 384kHz. SPDIF is PCM only.

All academic I guess. Sounds like this dac isn't in the running.

No DSD/DXD - cross that off his list. :rolleyes:

(Note: Says capable but not implemented yet AFAIK)

Jan 31, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #2,360 of 6,385
My PureDAC manual states the DSD is a DoP implementation, so yeah. Doesn't mention being "capable but not implemented"? PCM-wise, USB is 16..32 bit and up to 384kHz. SPDIF is PCM only.

All academic I guess. Sounds like this dac isn't in the running.

Dat FOTM DSD 
cool.gif

Feb 1, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #2,361 of 6,385
Vamp, wait it out. Buy your DAC when you get notification from Justin that your order is set to ship. No reason to buy a DAC 6-8 months earlier than necessary.

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #2,362 of 6,385
  Vamp, wait it out. Buy your DAC when you get notification from Justin that your order is set to ship. No reason to buy a DAC 6-8 months earlier than necessary.

Paradoxer's got a good point there. Why tie up your money AND there could will be new choices to pick from.

UNLESS you have a semi (tech work) powerful portable amp? I received my PWD a few weeks before the mojo and was able to power with the little RSA Hornet.  It is because of the sound change the PWD brought is why I say after phones, the DAC is the most important part of the chain. Of course the mojo is much better than the hornet but the increase in sq was not as profound.

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #2,363 of 6,385

+1
Good idea, just wait for now. Who knows, maybe the Geek will destroy everything at that price range when it gets out :)

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #2,364 of 6,385
+1
Good idea, just wait for now. Who knows, maybe the Geek will destroy everything at that price range when it gets out
smily_headphones1.gif

Get it to the Greek XD

Well, the Geek DAC will have DSD and DXD support apparently, and the cost on that one is pretty low, though we've also got that Teac DAC that has support, the question is implementation.

I understand why most of you are content without DSD, due to not having enough content and most of you are probably just playing CDs (16/44.1) which is also not all that bad, but hi-res has its place and I can see that especially with properly mastered tracks it helps quite a lot to bringing the details.

About the PWD mk2, it looks great, and even functional, but it goes as far up to 24/192... and it's sort of big. I'm having problems imagining where I'm going to put all of it, especially because it's not a good idea to stack these devices one on each other. if it had DSD right now and with the current rave about it, I wouldn't think too much and get it, especially if you say that it's the best pairing with the LCD-3's. But atm it doesn't, and if any of you say that they promised DSD on firmware update soon, I would like citation :)

Regarding the LCD-3's and pairing it with the STX card so far, I can say that it doesn't suffer from any analytical problems, the LCD-3's can make a horrible recording sound fine, but when there are proper recordings, it just sings! The bass, most of you were saying that it's lacking, but  I don't, I find that it doesn't have extreme unnatural bass where you get thump, so maybe not the best for electronic and rap/hip-hop/dubstep, though maybe I'm just missing that last bit of power which I'm hopefully going to get with the GS-X mk2 amp (And if I have to wait 6-7 months for it, that won't be fun)

I've also noticed that some of you have sold their LCD-3 in favor for the new LCD-X and like it better, even some good reviews for it, but you can't de-crown a flagship that easily. I'm keeping my LCD-3 and will only switch to LCD-4 if we get it, maybe not, I'm really close to being very very very happy (Although I might need another pair like the HD800 for the weight problem of the LCD-3's...)

Anyway, thanks for all the help so far :)

Edit: I have just found the dealer for the PWD Mk2 in israel, hopefully they will be selling it still when I get my GS-X mk2 (I'll be putting an order after the 10th) and I'm thinking I'll try to get an audition on this setup, but the thing is, the PWD Mk2 here doesn't cost the same price as you said it costs 16,800 ILS which is almost 5,000 USD, based on google it's: 4778.02 US Dollar

Feb 2, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #2,365 of 6,385

Edit: I have just found the dealer for the PWD Mk2 in israel, hopefully they will be selling it still when I get my GS-X mk2 (I'll be putting an order after the 10th) and I'm thinking I'll try to get an audition on this setup, but the thing is, the PWD Mk2 here doesn't cost the same price as you said it costs 16,800 ILS which is almost 5,000 USD, based on google it's: 4778.02 US Dollar

That's full price directly from PS Audio. Street price $2500-2600 new. $1700-$2k+ used.

Feb 2, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #2,366 of 6,385
Enlighten me then about the street price then? Israel is not cheap...

Feb 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #2,367 of 6,385
Enlighten me then about the street price then? Israel is not cheap...

I'd surmise Israel probably limits you to maybe 1 or 2 dealers. You'll have to buy used from the states most likely. Still, that would be around $3600-ish. Saves around $1k.

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #2,368 of 6,385
BTW, speaking of the PWD Mk2 DAC, I've been researching and even watched this really decent video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6aE1Z_j6Bw
That guy seems to be pretty good and pretty much no nonsense, as well as funny.

I'm doing more research on it as we speak, but here's the big question - If it is such an amazing DAC that a lot of you are really enjoying, why isn't there a dedicated topic about it like this one... Even though I'm taking this thread more of an owner of LCD-3's topic and people here are also talking about related gear, but still, just like other DACs have dedicated topics like Yulong DA8, Matrix X-Sabre, and others.

P.S: If I really get it after the GS-X mk2 amp, do you think I can stack all devices on each other, would that work or will it be a really bad idea? Again I'm thinking I'll have to think a lot about space, this doesn't look like a little DAC...

I want to hear more about this DAC, if there are any more good reviews you can share with me/us, would be highly appreciated :)

Feb 2, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #2,369 of 6,385
^ :confused:

It does have a dedicated thread. Has been going for years! I long ago unsubscribed, but you should be able to search it up easy...

Feb 2, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #2,370 of 6,385
What was it? PS Audio Owners Unite? last post is quite a bit back in 2013!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back