Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #2,206 of 6,385
  It's the LCD-3 that has the larger overshoot then a smaller one.

which means it's more bloated

Also a squarer graph indicates better sub bass.

better? if better means less of it and more subdued compared to the bass, mids, than yes, which makes the lcd2 more punchy again

The LCD-3 trades some sub bass in exchange for a greater reach into the presence region.

trades? exchange? greater reach? presence region?

i feel the lcd3 have more sub bass quantity, both with music and test tones, noise, and less punch

That said the better seal of the softer pads provides for better bass sustain and greater control in the same way it does an iem as opposed to with a poor seal.

(again using terms with 'better', "better seal") and about the effect of a stronger seal and comparing the full size open ortho lcds to iems, well that's something i leave to scientists

i will just tell you that the lcd2s driver is heavier, have more mass, therefore more kinetic energy, therefore more punch

my job is done here

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #2,207 of 6,385
Much of a storm in a teacup imo. Both the LCD-2 and LCD-3s, at least mine, had a quite similar bass response compared to any other headphones. They are surely more similar than dissimilar. The LCD-3s are the more transparent and higher-end sounding headphones and that's that. The LCD-2s ultimately do not resolve on the same level.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #2,208 of 6,385
the lcd3 does have more resolution, detail etc... but also in terms of sound, when compared, the lcd3 and lcd2, they present the music differently, enough differently that many do not feel comfortable thinking of the lcd3 as the pure successor of the lcd2 and/or end missing some of the sound of the lcd2

but of course all the lcds share the audeze house sound, the same soundprint that makes you feel 'oh, yeah, that's an audeze on my ears'

then again i'm not debating, is it like this or like that, since different chains and ears equal to different experiences, but more making some observation other may find useful when looking for some infos

again since i listened to both cans for extended periods and on the same chain, it's not like i write about it cos i think it's like that but cos i experienced it being like that

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #2,210 of 6,385
Nope dumping my open cans and going IEMs.  And yes the thought of having the PWD2/GS-X mk2 for fairly average monitors and lowly iems seems... unbalanced but it's paid for so meh.

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #2,211 of 6,385
I just got my lcd-3 today and im impressed . ( compared to a senn hd650 wih SAA cable).
Im wondering what are aftermarket cable options that makes it better without sacrificing  the bottom end .

Jan 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #2,212 of 6,385
  Nope dumping my open cans and going IEMs.  And yes the thought of having the PWD2/GS-X mk2 for fairly average monitors and lowly iems seems... unbalanced but it's paid for so meh.

You could always sell me the GS-X mk2:)

Jan 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #2,213 of 6,385
  I just got my lcd-3 today and im impressed . ( compared to a senn hd650 wih SAA cable).
Im wondering what are aftermarket cable options that makes it better without sacrificing  the bottom end .

Q-Audio

Jan 4, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #2,215 of 6,385
Tried a few days ago at the "Amps for the LCD-3" thread, but I'll try here too - 
Has anyone tried the LCD-3s with a Musical Fidelity X-Can v8 and can share their opinion on how they compare with some of the more popular choices for the headphone?

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #2,217 of 6,385
People I need your help here, the thing is that I've got now the LCD-3's and it's one of the best if not the best (I haven't heard the SR-009 yet) headphones atm, at least the best that I've got :)

I'm looking for getting a better audio setup, something that will really wow me, I'm pairing the headphones with the STX sound card, and I must say that I don't know why you're saying it's such a mediocre sound card/DAC, I'm finding it quite good actually.

Like I've posted before about this, I went to listen to the Antelope Zodiac Platinum DAC, and while it's great there are some things I'm not really sure about, one of them being that their customer support is really too careful about giving out information about the DAC, which is a warning sign... the thing is that at this price point I'm looking to be getting something really really really amazing for a really long time.

So anyways, please people help me out here, I'm looking to spend about this amount of money for the best DAC at this price point, that there can't be possibly anything better and something that will really pair well with the headphones. - Say, can Resonessence Invicta possibly be a better DAC?

Any help is appreciated :)

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #2,219 of 6,385
If you can wait a few months, Schiit is coming out with thier Yggdrasil Reference DAC.

But will it support DSD and DXD?

I won't buy with no reviews :p

Jan 8, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #2,220 of 6,385
But will it support DSD and DXD?

I won't buy with no reviews :p

Jason at Schitt has made it clear that they will not support DSD and DXD in thier TOTL DAC.

Schiit allows a 15 day trial period so I'd have no problem buying it as soon as it is released without any reviews. I'd have to hear it for myself, but expect it to be really good Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back