Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #2,086 of 6,385
I'm surprised my post has been taken the way it has. I was trying to say that I'm enjoying my LCD-3 a lot, and that's just by running them straight out of a MacBook just now. As I've never had a high-end headphone or an amp/dac, I can't even imagine how much better I can expect, because I've never experienced it before.
Of course I'm going to be amping them. In fact I started a thread a couple of months ago, asking for amp and dac advice, and currently making a shortlist. A couple of members are also messaging me directly with advice and their experience in similar situation to mine.
It's just my wallet is a bit sore from recent purchases (which includes the MacBook Pro and the LCD-3) so I won't be able to get anything until after christmas now. So don't worry, I won't let them suffer for long. They'll get all the power they need very soon. :)

Apologies for any misunderstanding.

Shak

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #2,087 of 6,385
Nah didn't mean anything disrepectful by my post -> just that you are doing those headphones wrong.
If it was a matter of finances it's totally understandable. But imo you'd get much better performance from an LCD-2 + Amp + DAC totalling $2000 than the LCD-3. But as long as you are going to get an amp/dac in the future for the LCD-3, all good. :)

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #2,088 of 6,385
  I do have a Beyerdynamic A1, wonder if that will drive them. I've read the LCD-3 is picky about amplification.
vrt

The 3's are a little picky but not too bad.  Well not bad when compared to the HD800s anyway.  Honestly any amp that can output huge amounts of power generally work.  That being said there are some in my opinion horrible and great options but if you are happy with it don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  

Nov 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #2,089 of 6,385
Hey! I am thinking of getting the lcd-3. I have not heard this nor lcd-2, since I live in Sweden, and there is no place what I know that sell these headphones, so it's impossible for me to listen to these. I was thinking of getting the Sennheiser hd800, since I listened to them. But I read really much about the lcd-3 and what people describe, it fits me better. I am gonna save together for an Woo wa22 amplifier (and run the headphones balanced, since I got a hegel hd20 dac wich is fully balanced), and also for an lcd-3 or the hd800.
I mean, I think it will be easy to sell the lcd-3 if I wouldn't like it, and just buy the hd800 after that. But not sure if I am making a mistake here.

Do you guys think I will do a bad choice and buy the lcd-3 without auditioning it?

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #2,090 of 6,385
I chose my LCD-3 without listening previously and I'm happy, but as always nevermind the headphone quality it's also a matter of taste so good luck!

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #2,091 of 6,385
True, I actually going to reconsider saving up to the audeze. It's so beautiful ;p Does it work well with the woo amps? I wanna go balanced so gonna buy myself an wa22 since it's a real beauty ^^

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #2,092 of 6,385
  True, I actually going to reconsider saving up to the audeze. It's so beautiful ;p Does it work well with the woo amps? I wanna go balanced so gonna buy myself an wa22 since it's a real beauty ^^

Honestly Woo stuff looks wonderful but I think you get better for the price.  This is not to say that Woo stuff doesn't sound good...it does.  Just I think they value looks over sound sometimes and that is fine just; it isn't for me.  Also generally solid state I think is better for the LCD3 than tube.  

Nov 21, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #2,093 of 6,385
On another note the Beta 22 I just finished up sounds amazing with the LCD3's.  Very happy with it.  Now to make a balanced version.  
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #2,094 of 6,385
  On another note the Beta 22 I just finished up sounds amazing with the LCD3's.  Very happy with it.  Now to make a balanced version.  
evil_smiley.gif

Well I do want a balanced amplifier, and the 3pin xlr and the 4 pin xlr option is really nice to have. Also I have a bit of problem with SS amps since some headphones gives me beeping noise in my head :S Well I thought that the WA22 had everything I wanted and probably one of the cheapest (if you wanna call it cheap lol) ones I found with all that options + tube :p

+ I want an amp that goes well with other phones aswell (allready put hd800 on the must have list x]]])

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #2,095 of 6,385
  Well I do want a balanced amplifier, and the 3pin xlr and the 4 pin xlr option is really nice to have. Also I have a bit of problem with SS amps since some headphones gives me beeping noise in my head :S Well I thought that the WA22 had everything I wanted and probably one of the cheapest (if you wanna call it cheap lol) ones I found with all that options + tube :p

+ I want an amp that goes well with other phones aswell (allready put hd800 on the must have list x]]])

If you want to go the tube rout than I think Little Dot makes amps that are better for the price. the MKVIII I hear is quite good.  

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #2,096 of 6,385
  If you want to go the tube rout than I think Little Dot makes amps that are better for the price. the MKVIII I hear is quite good.  

Will the little dot really drive it equally well as wa22? I have the little dot mk3. I like the sound and all, but I want a balanced amplifier now aswell. Thought I might aswell try the wa22 as I heard alot of great things about it, meanwhile I dont hear anything about the balanced amps from Little dot.

Nov 21, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #2,097 of 6,385
I just posted this on the LCD-X thread...another fantastic option from Audeze:

Well...after about 3 weeks with these fantastic headphones, I've finally got around to publishing my own review here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd-x/reviews/9976

Yet another winner by Audeze IMHO and I couldn't recommend them any higher. 
smile.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #2,098 of 6,385
As many, I am lusting after the LCD-3.  It is mostly self-torture though considering that they are waay out of a reasonable price range for me at this time.  A few questions:

Since this is such a phenomenal headphone, is it kind of half-assed to listen to them unbalanced?

Are these a limited run?  Will they be discontinued soon (and effectively double in price used as a result)?

Where can I actually listen to these beauties myself without throwing caution to the wind and popping two grand (which  happens to be almost ten percent of my savings)?

----->>  I have the Denon AH-D7000, Headroom Ultra Destop Amp & HPS, Technics 1200MK2 w/ Audio Technica AT120E cartridge, and digital transfer through laptop.  Would the LCD-3  be overkill for my system?

Nov 22, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #2,099 of 6,385
  As many, I am lusting after the LCD-3.  It is mostly self-torture though considering that they are waay out of a reasonable price range for me at this time.  A few questions:

Since this is such a phenomenal headphone, is it kind of half-assed to listen to them unbalanced?

Are these a limited run?  Will they be discontinued soon (and effectively double in price used as a result)?

Where can I actually listen to these beauties myself without throwing caution to the wind and popping two grand (which  happens to be almost ten percent of my savings)?

----->>  I have the Denon AH-D7000, Headroom Ultra Destop Amp & HPS, Technics 1200MK2 w/ Audio Technica AT120E cartridge, and digital transfer through laptop.  Would the LCD-3  be overkill for my system?

Balanced or unbalanced they still sound fantastic.  Some people say they sound a bit better balanced and other say otherwise.  Honestly it depends on your source and amp rather than balanced or unbalanced.  With that being said though I don't think there is any point in going balanced unless you have both a balanced source and amp.  

These are not limited run and should be for sale for a while longer until they come out with a replacement for them.  

Where are you located?  some hifi stores carry demos or you could go to a headfi meet.  I am sure someone will have a pair as they are really popular. 

No it would not be overkill.  Of course you could always stand to upgrade but if you are happy with what you have there isnt' a big deal.  

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #2,100 of 6,385
Hey MacedonianHero! I seen you posted ages ago on a thread about amps for lcd-3 about you were listening to the Wa22 amp with the lcd-3. I am looking for an amp to buy with the LCD-3 the same time. I am still quite torn apart of what im going to get.

Been considering going SS, but I am a bit sensitive against SS amps as I find them a bit harsh against my head, but I am not sure if these headphones will sound bright with a proper SS amp?
And the wa22 (which I tried google as much as possible about) have everything I want but dunno if it pairs up that well, and starting to find more people that doesn't think it is such a good amp as some people think.

Zashoomin mentioned the Little Dot MkVIII amp, but is it truly balanced? I see it put outs more power and someone mentioned that lcd-3 works well when it get much much power :) + It's alot cheaper hehe.

Do you know if there are any other decent options if I wanna go balanced?
I got myself as I mentioned already, a truly balanced source, (Hegel hd20) and I want to get an HD800 in the future and not having to upgrade the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back