Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 3, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #16,081 of 18,459

Quote:
No consensus, as usual
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Noticed you nickname, any link with the dog?

i didn't know that breed existed, cool! rataplan is a word meaning "drumming or beating sound" it's a handle i adopted for my half-assed music efforts: http://www.purevolume.com/rataplan

Quote:
Best if you let us know if you hear any changes.

will do!

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #16,082 of 18,459

Quote:
You should hear percussion on the Rev1.

I was comparing the 2 to the 1 the other night on Explorations in Space and Time (the Chesky binaural percussion recording), and the Rev1 to my ears was clearly the more natural and enjoyable sound.

My Rev2 has around 300 hours on it now. It is a great headphone, no doubt. But there is a slight treble sheen on everything that to my hearing is not quite natural.

I wish I could have the clarity, detail and precision of the 2 with the natural tonal characteristics of the 1.

A man torn in two.

i bought that album a little while ago, haven't listened to it yet with LCD-2s. Think i'll do that...now!

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #16,083 of 18,459

Quote:
i didn't say d7000s, i said darth beyer dt 770s

My mistake, however, the Beyers have better bass than the Denons, they still have a mid-bass bump and they're nowhere near as accurate or extended as either of the two LCD-2s.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #16,084 of 18,459
Definitely true, and I owned all three at the same time for a long time.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #16,085 of 18,459
1. I've tried a few different amps, dacs and headphones. It's the same across all. Everything works as it should.

2. Doubt it. They sound great otherwise.

3. Quite possibly, or you aren't listening to the same music as I am with the same expectations.

Quote:
From your description I can only suggest the following,

1) Your equipment is defective or there’s a severe mismatch in your combo. 

2) Your LCD-2’s are broken.

3) Your ears are completely different to mine. 

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #16,086 of 18,459
Yeah I have LCD-2 v2. I had v1 and the highs were more recessed, which made the bass seem more prominent. The highs on v2 are definitely more forward, which makes the bass appear more recessed in comparison.

I'm definitely going to try a more amplification options before I pass judgement. But if I can't get them to match my cheaper closed cans in bass impact I will most likely sell them for one of the ones you listed.

Quote:
That doesn't sound right at all, the LCD-2 r1 has the most heavy and visceral sound I've ever heard in a headphone. Definitely try hooking it up to something else.

But if you listen to mostly Electronic, you probably want the ED8, LA7000, or D7000.

Edit: Do you have the rev2? That definitely has the more "analytical" bass.

Aug 3, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #16,087 of 18,459

Quote:
I envy guys who get to use headphones and listen to music (and the music they like) at work.  I can't even imagine what that would have been like.

I can tell you that on the first you bring your LCD-2s to work, very little work gets done!

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #16,089 of 18,459

Quote:
Ok, it was the V2 driver that went.

They are fantastic at dealing with issues though. They sent me an RMA and a 2 day shipping label. The phones are on their way back already.

Thanks for the info, but this is discouraging news. I thought the Rev. 2 driver, as well as the new testing protocol, would put an end to these driver failures.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #16,092 of 18,459
I said the LCD's R1 do not lack treble extension I did not say that the treble could not be extended further or improved.
I, and many other people who have decent amps to power them, have said that the LCD's R1 do not sound 'dark' which they would if they 'lacked' treble extension just like the HD650's.

Just because the R2 version has more treble extension does not mean that the R1 version is lacking in extension! 

Which one goes deeper?

Or treble extension?

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #16,093 of 18,459
Maybe the LCD2 is so flat in the curve and it is my hearing ability which is less sensitive to sub-bass? I think there is a saying that human's hearing ability gradually diminishes as the frequency goes very low (or very high). The fact the LCD2 maintained a flat curve may be exactly the reason I miss the sub-bass, perhaps the other high end phones I have gave the sub bass a little boost? Just a hypothesis. I hate to argue but I am not going to lie to myself at what I actually hear. I would very much like to reconcile with the objective fact which everyone is stating so please help me out.

I remember having the same argument with the SE530 lovers. I still have the SE530 but never loved its bass since day one. I maintained that the ER4P has deeper and better bass, despite that SE530 has more quantity of bass. The same arguments went on and there was no conclusion, everyone said the SE530 properly amped also has very deep bass but I just didn't feel it, just like I don't feel that with the LCD2 up till now. Maybe I really gotta try out some high current solid state amp on the LCD2 to verify. Any suggestions?  

Boy do we hear things differently. I've owned the ER-4P/S and the SE530s at the same time and heard it just like the graphs show it:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=843&graphID[]=733

Etys = bass lite and not very deep
Shure SE530 = deep flat taught bass

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #16,094 of 18,459

Quote:
Or treble extension?

FR graphs are not reliable for anything over about 10kHz because of standing wave cancellation that takes place in all of the artificial ear couplers used in measurement.  The best couplers are modeled to have the same acoustic character as a human ear canal, including reflections and standing waves.

Aug 3, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #16,095 of 18,459

Quote:
Do you have a kitchen scale? The rev. 1 weigh approx 550g and the rev. 2 50g less (without the cables of course). Just a simple indication to "confirm" what drivers you have inside the headphone. I assume you have the leather headband.

my rev. 2s weighed in at 523g without cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back