Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Aug 3, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #16,051 of 18,459
     Quote:
Maybe the LCD2 is so flat in the curve and it is my hearing ability which is less sensitive to sub-bass? I think there is a saying that human's hearing ability gradually diminishes as the frequency goes very low (or very high). The fact the LCD2 maintained a flat curve may be exactly the reason I miss the sub-bass, perhaps the other high end phones I have gave the sub bass a little boost? Just a hypothesis. I hate to argue but I am not going to lie to myself at what I actually hear. I would very much like to reconcile with the objective fact which everyone is stating so please help me out.

I remember having the same argument with the SE530 lovers. I still have the SE530 but never loved its bass since day one. I maintained that the ER4P has deeper and better bass, despite that SE530 has more quantity of bass. The same arguments went on and there was no conclusion, everyone said the SE530 properly amped also has very deep bass but I just didn't feel it, just like I don't feel that with the LCD2 up till now. Maybe I really gotta try out some high current solid state amp on the LCD2 to verify. Any suggestions?  

You can use this program to determine how loudly/quietly your headphones reproduce different parts of the frequency spectrum.

For me, the LCD-2 is one of the most technically adept headphones at reproducing bass frequencies. This was clear to me when comparing it to a headphone like the Sennheiser HD 600, with which I couldn't hear the lowest frequency band when using the above program.

Also, when wearing headphones, before any sound gets from the earspeaker to your eardrum, the sound travels through the ear canal, which can cause a resonance at around 7.5 kHz, which has the effect of colouring the perceived sound, which could explain why certain frequencies can appear louder/quieter than others.

But that could also be due to natural hearing sensitivity. I find my ears can be noticeably sensitive to upper treble frequencies, perhaps due to drumming without earplugs for a few years, so I tend to do what feels good to my ears. I marvelled at the detail of headphones with prominent treble, such as the HD 800 and T1, but after listening with them for around 30 min, my ears were ringing. That's not my idea of fun. I have found the sound of the LCD-2 - especially the rev1 - to be provide a enjoyably non-fatiguing sound that is very revealing of what comes before it in the signal chain. Music sounds wonderful with the LCD-2.  

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #16,052 of 18,459
Just a quick message to say thank you to all on this forum (especially the LCD-2 thread 
wink_face.gif
). I want to let you know that I appreciate your contributions and wish you a wondrous day.

Windsor

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #16,053 of 18,459

Quote:
FWIW, my Velodyne FSR-18 is also capable of sub-sonic (literally, not figuratively) bass.  And the very deepest bass on headphones is incredibly different, qualitatively, through headphones than speakers.  The 20 Hz test tome on the Stereophile Test CD 3 isn't audible by ear, but you can FEEL the air moving with the Velodyne, and it literally makes the whole room shake.

All you get at 20Hz from ANY headphone is a little pressure on the ear.  That's it.  Plain, simple, and unarguable.  That depth of bass is primarily sensed in the chest plate, NOT "heard" the way higher frequency sounds are.

Most of what you "hear" from a headphone playing a 20 Hz test tone is actually "doubling" - a distortion of the driver where you hear a phantom tone at 2x the frequency of the fundamental, so 40Hz in the case of a 20Hz tone.

No disputation about feeling 20Hz, but some people can hear it as well, like myself.

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #16,055 of 18,459
Hm. 
confused.gif
 Rev. 1? I.e. s/n 531... or 569...?

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #16,056 of 18,459
I was curious about that but the invoice clearly says R2. I had been meaning to send them an e-mail to check. Guess it's good as time as any.

Johnny Cash's version of Hurt killed my headphones.

I think this will get interesting real quick.

Fortunately I've followed this thread from the start

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #16,057 of 18,459
Could you please have a look inside the headband and tell us the 3 first digits in the s/n, please? Rev. 2 is 531xxxx?

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #16,059 of 18,459
Oh, crap. Sorry to hear (regardless of rev. 1 or rev. 2)

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #16,061 of 18,459

Quote:
I was curious about that but the invoice clearly says R2. I had been meaning to send them an e-mail to check. Guess it's good as time as any.

Johnny Cash's version of Hurt killed my headphones.

I think this will get interesting real quick.

Fortunately I've followed this thread from the start

Wow!  I hope it wasn't that track I sent you?

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #16,063 of 18,459
Do you have a kitchen scale? The rev. 1 weigh approx 550g and the rev. 2 50g less (without the cables of course). Just a simple indication to "confirm" what drivers you have inside the headphone. I assume you have the leather headband.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #16,064 of 18,459
Hmm, first Rev.2 driver to fail eh? I was just about to buy one too. Have to wait again.

Aug 3, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #16,065 of 18,459

Quote:
I've gone the other way and gained a greater appreciation of the HD650. There's no denying the LCD-2 is distinctly more refined, but there's just something incredibly engaging about how the HD650 renders music through my modest rig.

What kind of music do you listen to? For me, the HD650 was the most laid back and unengaging can I've ever heard, whereas my LCD-2 is the exact opposite. I do have the rev1 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back