Audeze LCD-2 Orthos
Jul 31, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #15,858 of 18,459
Try to change small tubes on WA6 SE
Quote:
My own experience I was alluding to, which I have mentioned more than once in these forums were these:  I found my R.1 paired with a WA6SE lacked control in the extremes.  Bass was loose not as well defined, so I suppose "muddy" might work. With the Violectric the bass occurred to me as far more present and better defined and treble also seemed to have more presence and clarity, which might have occurred to me as better extension on both ends of the spectrum.  I wonder; have you tried your LCD-2's with other amps perhaps to see if the muddiness, or lack of clarity in the bass may be improved that way?

Jul 31, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #15,859 of 18,459
I am in the 3 weeks holiday. so I can't use any of my gear at home. I just bring the dr dre beats studio that I havent heard since I got other headphones. The reason I bring it because I am going to give it to my non audiophile friends..Now I am in the hotel. feel bored so I bring it out.....

Oh my god......How can I listen to music again without my lcd 2
tongue.gif

The only thing I can from beats is bass....the only thing......
triportsad.gif
...Mid/highs even have "bass"...haha

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #15,860 of 18,459

Quote:
Try to change small tubes on WA6 SE

I'm sure the new owner would think it odd if I did that.  I believe he is using it primarily for his HD800's which I found to be an excellent combination.

PS I did try many different tube combos and none worked well for me.  That doesn't mean that there aren't better ones than I tried though.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #15,861 of 18,459
so you mean WA 6 SE is just bad for LCD 2 (rev.1)? nothing would make any improvement at all?...
Quote:
I'm sure the new owner would think it odd if I did that.  I believe he is using it primarily for his HD800's which I found to be an excellent combination.

PS I did try many different tube combos and none worked well for me.  That doesn't mean that there aren't better ones than I tried though.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #15,862 of 18,459
I wonder if that's what dr. dre uses to produce his music...

Quote:
I am in the 3 weeks holiday. so I can't use any of my gear at home. I just bring the dr dre beats studio that I havent heard since I got other headphones. The reason I bring it because I am going to give it to my non audiophile friends..Now I am in the hotel. feel bored so I bring it out.....

Oh my god......How can I listen to music again without my lcd 2
tongue.gif

The only thing I can from beats is bass....the only thing......
triportsad.gif
...Mid/highs even have "bass"...haha

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #15,863 of 18,459

Quote:
so you mean WA 6 SE is just bad for LCD 2 (rev.1)? nothing would make any improvement at all?...

In my experience, with the tubes I rolled in it, no, nothing made it sound up to my own standards with the rev. 1 and that's one of the reasons I sold it.  I had a completely maxxed out version.  The best tube combination I was able to come up with was the big EML 5U4G rectifier, and some British made 6DE7 (those are the larger tube, yes?).  I went through only about three different variations on that larger tube, and then also tried two of the smaller variety and then some of the adapters to use 6SN7 which I have many great examples of (I'm selling those adapters if anyone who owns a WA6 is interested in trying that).  None of this made LCD-2's work any better for me.  That amp was great with other cans though.  Others have suggested I should have rolled more tubes through there, and perhaps that might have made a difference since some folks seem to love the combination.  Regardless, I'm very happy with the V181 I use now (fully balanced via a balanced DAC output as well).  In direct comparison the Woo had a wonderful midrange magic, but lacked control in the low end and extension up top. It was clearly and definitively superior to the Woo with the r.1's with the tubes I had available to me.  YMMV as always.

Jul 31, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #15,864 of 18,459

judging by the sound quality (or lack of!) of albums he has produced that I have heard I would say yes to that question... However, he does look cool wearing them and that is after all what buying headphones is all about is it not :D

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #15,865 of 18,459

Quote:

I could tell you stories, but I'm not going to.

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #15,866 of 18,459

I don't know about that... beats look hideous IMO (granted im an edition 8 fan) and second he has arguably the two most highly regarded rap albums.

Quote:
judging by the sound quality (or lack of!) of albums he has produced that I have heard I would say yes to that question... However, he does look cool wearing them and that is after all what buying headphones is all about is it not
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #15,867 of 18,459

Quote:
I had to stop going to amplified concerts a while back.  They were just getting unimaginably loud.  I had to walk out of a Tom Waits performance 1/3 the way through because the sound system was beyond loud even with my fingers in my ears.  He never use to perform that way but the sound guys get a hold of things and it gets out of control.    It's just not worth it sometimes.  As a performer is it hard to perform with earplugs?     

I went to a Nazareth concert last summer, and due to enormous amplification and horrible acoustics  I'm sure I got hearing damage,
resulting in minor high pitch tinnitus and not being able to hear anythig above 17Khz (I'm 32).
So this summer, when I got Dream Theater tickets, I did some research and ordered those: http://www.elacin.co.nz/erflexcomfort.html.
These are custom made filters that clam to have flat attenuation, similar to just lowering the volume dial of an aplifier.
Unfortunately I had to cancel the order due to delays and other various reasons, so I can't comment on their actual performance.
They're not cheap though.

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #15,868 of 18,459

Quote:
I went to a Nazareth concert last summer, and due to enormous amplification and horrible acoustics  I'm sure I got hearing damage,
resulting in minor high pitch tinnitus and not being able to hear anythig above 17Khz (I'm 32).
So this summer, when I got Dream Theater tickets, I did some research and ordered those: http://www.elacin.co.nz/erflexcomfort.html.
These are custom made filters that clam to have flat attenuation, similar to just lowering the volume dial of an aplifier.
Unfortunately I had to cancel the order due to delays and other various reasons, so I can't comment on their actual performance.
They're not cheap though.

Looks just like the Etymotic Musician's Earplugs: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/erme.html

Here's a more cost effective alternative: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.html

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #15,869 of 18,459
Anyone know if the LCD-2 is free field equalized?  Someone posted in the Sextett thread that they are free field equalized and the LCD-2 seems to have a similar FR, though much more extended in both directions and probably flatter or truer to the goal as well, since the Sextett was made in 1975. 

Could explain the different take on neutrality if most headphones these days are aiming for diffuse field FR. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back